Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > RDSS > RDSS2 / FAQ's
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

RDSS2 / FAQ's Information, discussion, screenshots, videos about the upcoming version, FAQ's

Old 12-26-2009, 02:51 PM   #1
Ted Craven
Grade 1

RDSS 2.0/Happy Holidays/Thank You!

I want to wish all RDSS users a Happy Christmas and Holiday Season. And I want to express my sincere thanks to every single person who has subscribed to RDSS this year, or over the past few years, and also to those who have given the Evaluation a serious workout. Your support and your curiosity has provided me with the means to continue to develop this tool further towards the full potential I feel it has (and which Doc also felt still lay ahead), and to help me learn much more about the analytical, emotional/psychological and decision making skills required for success in this most difficult of games than I would ever have been able to do if I only created some software program for myself. You have been my teachers, and have put bread on my table, and I am profoundly grateful.

I put this particular message in the RDSS Forum because I wanted to say thanks to my RDSS software customers, but I mean my thanks no less to everyone else who actively has asked thoughtful questions and provided enlightening answers using every other phase of the Methodology from Phase III to the Hat's Matchup to Speculator and in between, and also from those who share their unique perspectives on Angles or race-watching/trip/setup or toteboard analysis. We are all very fortunate to have such a collection of generous personalities, minds and hearts - thank you all as well.

I also want to make a few comments on how my progress is going with RDSS 2.0, which is what I am calling it, although there was never actually a RDSS 1.0 ! I have come to see the work I have done on RDSS over the past 4 years as a 'prototype' version of the software I really wanted to create. On the one hand, it fairly faithfully recreated the analysis readouts of Validator and Speculator (the actual code-base I inherited) and attempted to migrate those readouts coherently (if perhaps sometimes awkwardly) to a Windows-style user interface. And people got the idea that it was actually the same software, not just something I whipped up, and of a legitimate Sartin heritage - not the least because Doc Sartin later pronounced it so himself. OK, so we got a bridge from the past to the present and future.

On the other hand, by trying to make every readout available all in one place, at the touch of a Tab button, in the end I discovered I had been rather 'too-clever-by-half' and made several design choices which ended up overloading memory resources (read 'the software crashes') and limited me from proceeding properly ahead to flesh out all the other things belonging in a toolbox purporting to be a complete handicapping/wagering practice management tool (which is what it says on the RDSS splash-screen). Sigh - I wish I knew 4 years ago what I knew 1 year ago!

No matter - I have been trying to make amends, and have spent quite a bit of time this year on moving ahead. I plan to start showing some screenshots and a few videos starting in January once the look of RDSS 2.0 stabilizes further, but here is the list of new or improved core features, the completion of which will define when I can release the next version:

1. Stability - no more crashes. Open unlimited cards, races, horses, toteboards, models at the same time, PPs and saved analysis screens appear instantly.

2. Updated User Interface - a more modern look (think Microsoft Visual Studio, or MS Office); inhabits smaller screens more happily (e.g. the newer netbooks with 600 pixels vertical resolution); that said - you will definitely be happiest with the largest screen resolution possible; left and right (dismissable) sidebars for more visual options (e.g. 2 of any screen side-by-side if you have the horizontal width); better graphics; 'Hide' horses in Analysis screens, optionally fewer yet consolidated and simpler readouts screens

3. Updated Tote/ADW interface - more tote sources (e.g. TwinSpires, TVG); all tote data (WPS, Exacta, DD, will-pays); interface between RDSS and ADW betting queues via either file upload or directly to betting engines; tote info for wager decision making appears on all Analysis screens; tote info saved tick by tick for subsequent analysis, replay, export; download, consolidate and query in RDSS your betting records from multiple ADWs and betting exchanges

4. Automated Paceline Selection - pre-defined and user-definable logic via templates you can modify and apply to classes of races as necessary (e.g. Turf: open the 'window' wide; dirt-sprints: 'BOLT-C' best-of-last-three-comparable; etc); multiple prefabricated paceline sets for every race

5. Result Charts - download full Charts from the previous day, integrated into database, displayed graphically or like PPs; Result Charts for Past Performance lines imported and appearing in the same way (e.g. Tandem readouts can optionally show non-returning horses)

6. Factor Models - saved internally to RDSS, distinct from current export to Excel; factor impact values and ranges overlaid on Analysis screens

7. Print Outs (including to PDF format) - configurable display/print tool approaching feature set of Formulator, BRIS PP Generator, PTD 2.0, TrackMaster PlusPro - including all RDSS factors, and all PP running lines found in your database (e.g. horse's lifetime history if you have it)

8. Updated TrackMaster ITVs, including better run-up distance adjustments; plus user-defined track-to-track adjustments (e.g. SA 6.5f downhill Turf adjustment to reality, FE-->WO sanity adjustment, etc)

9. Search tools to compose custom cards according to your desired race sets (e.g. all 6f, all Turf, all fields > 8, all races with M/L favourite > 5/2, only Maidens, no FTS, 2+ Early horses, etc, etc)

10. Miscellaneous - built-in Help screens via Tooltips and extended Help screens for all readouts; faster database processing; easier Registration/Evaluation process; more data export to external file formats for processing outside of RDSS (Excel, PDF, CSV)

Most of these are in various stages of creation. Some I have been working on for a few years now, while a few are still only sketches. A lot of my programming work over the past year has been to recreate the foundation of RDSS and make the internal framework accommodate all the above. I should have done this sooner; perhaps I am not the world's fastest programmer but I do have a few good ideas. RDSS will have a long life and I suspect considerably more interest than it currently does, so better to bite the bullet and get it right now. I am already a little uneasy at new folks trying out RDSS and thinking that what they see now is all they'll ever get with this tool. Not necessarily new fantastic numbers which are the 'secret to making money at the track' - actually those readouts are already there since 15 years (well, plus maybe a few new ideas...). Rather, new ways of putting it all together: analysis (consistent paceline selection and non-contender elimination), wager decision making, record keeping, innovative visualization of information to provide feedback for the never ending cycle of study and improvement ('kaizen').

So, I am actually not guessing at any dates for releasing RDSS 2.0 - Spring 2010 would be nice, but let's see. 2010 - definitely! A shorter Beta testing phase will precede any eventual roll-out, and I'll put out a call for interested parties in due course. Thanks again to all of you who have made my life so rich these past several years online: here at PaceandCap.com, at PaceAdvantage.com, at HTR, in private and in public. Thanks finally, and specifically, always to Doc Sartin and to Jim 'The Hat' Bradshaw and the other Methodology founders for erecting a 'big tent', to Jim Vanderbosch and Dave Seigel at TrackMaster, to Bill Varone for building this wonderful Sartin emporium for us all, to Richie for his constant back-office support and assistance (he is the 'Wal-Mart greeter' of PaceandCap, who welcomes newcomers at the door, reads their bios, sets them up with RDSS if that's their desire, shows them to the Library, to the Match Up materials, etc): I could not do any of this without both of these gentlemen's enthusiasm and constant energy. I must also thank my mother for her encouragement and enthusiasm to learn this game which is my passion. And lastly, but by no means least - I need to publicly acknowledge and thank my wife Alison for her long-standing support (emotional, financial, in all forms), her constant belief in me and shared dream of what could be.

If it had to stop here, I'd be a rich man and they could write that on my tombstone. But I pray we have a long run yet - I believe the rumours of the demise of horse-racing are premature (despite ever fresh and resourceful acts of industry stupidity and selfishness). Perhaps the 'new blood' which is waiting just outside the (physical and online) track gates (at least, the intellectually curious and emotionally stable among them) will 'Rescue Us' (as Peter Tolan might write) from our collective torpor by demanding insight and access to the 'Gift of Prophecy' as Doc would say, to the inner workings of this game which is at once as complex and challenging as chess or bridge, as spectacular as any pageantry of the ages, as charming as the music of our civilizations, and as alluring as the beckoning glance of a lover.

Best wishes to all for a 2010 filled with good fortune, good mental, physical and spiritual health, and good skill!

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™

Last edited by Ted Craven; 12-26-2009 at 03:54 PM.
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:42 PM   #2
Bill V.
The egg man

form

Good Skill with RDSS 2.0

Ted you have a great program today, with your skill and dreams, it sounds like 2.0 really will be the Modern Sartin Methodolgy all in one workshop. May your love for Doc's work. never end. May you drink from fine crystal the magic potion that makes your dreams a reality, The drink is there for those who share and let others share your dream.

Is there any chance you can add a form cycle/ better effort marking system?
Plus zero plus with a zero beat half field type stuff or even a color coded
top 3 BOLT-C speed ratings

GS
Bill
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:38 AM   #3
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Thanks Bill! I will show some samples next week and look forward to your feedback!

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:50 PM   #4
clore1030
Grade 1

Thanks for the update on the upgrade. I'm looking forward to this.
clore1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:03 PM   #5
Lasix1
AlwNW1X

Many thanks for the update, Ted. Can hardly wait to see it! best wishes --chuck
Lasix1 is offline   Reply With Quote