Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Races of Interest
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Races of Interest *Detailed* Discussion of Races – Screen shots, decisions, post-mortems

Old 02-27-2019, 10:01 AM   #1
kahunab
Grade 2

A "Big Hit" Race

The Big Hit
Each year in February, my sons and I along with some friends, take a 3-5 day trip to Las Vegas. We stay at Bally’s where I spend most of my time in the Race Book and they run around town. Always gathering at the Race Book because that is where Dad is. I am a recreational handicapper. Outside of this trip, I handicap and play 6-8 weekends a year. RDSS provides all the tools I need to see the race. What is so interesting to me is that there are enough tools in RDSS so that each of us can develop his/her own process which helps each see and project what should happen in the race. When I am at Bally’s in February, I play a ton of races during those few days. Probably too many too quickly, but all in fun. Every so often a race comes along like the one you are about to review. The race was the 9th at Oaklawn on February 22. It was indeed a big hit.
Name:  ENTRIES SCREEN.png
Views: 616
Size:  128.4 KB
First you need to understand how I approach the races. I do better over time if I stick with the following process. I believe that Running Style is as important as times in most cases. Secondly, I find that I do better when I use the “Best of the Last 3 Surface and Distance”. I will go back to take a look at the horse even if the best of his last 3 surface and distance takes me down into the chart a bit. Once I am sure that I have the running style right and the lines I want, I go immediately to the Segments screen. I remember Jim Bradshaw saying, ”The first fraction is when the horses get in position to win.” I eliminate contenders for win using the first fraction line up on the segments screen, especially in Sprints. With routes one needs to look at the second call a bit more. For those of you who want to see the PPs of the runners, I will post them at the end of the article.
Lines all selected and it looks like we have all Pressers and Sustained. The closest to an early horse is the 9. He set the pace once. No Early so we are looking for the horse that can run the closest to the fastest pace.
Name:  SEGMENTS SCREEN.png
Views: 602
Size:  137.6 KB
We are at 6 furlongs so we take out anyone who is not in the top 5 first fractions. Notice the 10 horse who looks to do well late. With that pattern he is definitely a threat to hit the board. Most of the time I would include him in my bet, primarily in the place and show holes. Today I decided not to use him and that probably was a mistake. Looking back I probably should have used him instead of the 7. He ran better than the 7 and was more of a threat for the board. The 7 (favorite) is also interesting as he looks to be the furthest back of all the contenders. He will really have to motor to get to the win or even the board. The 7 finished dead last. He just got too far back.
Name:  RX SCREEN.png
Views: 590
Size:  128.5 KB
Based on these two screens, it looks to me like the 3 and the 5 or the 3 and the 9 are the two horses to play for win. I chose to use the 3,9 as my win choices. With odds this high on my win horses I did not construct my usual bet for the tri ie 3,9/3,9,5,7,4/3,9,5,7,4 (which also would have won) but chose instead to do a $.50 tri box with all 5 for $30. Because my win choices were high I also put in a 3,4,9 $1 tri box and 3,4,9 $2 exacta box just in the event the 3 longshots came in together. They did and I cashed all my tickets. I use the 3 long shot box approach when I have two winners with the odds that I have here. I hope that I am being clear.
Name:  VELOCITY POH.png
Views: 613
Size:  152.6 KB
I finalze my bet by checking the Velocity screen and it supports my decision to use 3,9. Note the 4 is also close at the 2nd call, backup that 4 can hit the board.
Name:  ADJUSTED SCREEN.png
Views: 582
Size:  136.4 KB
Final check on who appears to overcome the fastest pace. 3 and 9 again. I am solid in my bet.

'Something magical happens when you bring together a group of people from different disciplines with a common purpose.' Mark Stefik Palo Alto Research Centre Fellow
kahunab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 10:13 AM   #2
kahunab
Grade 2

A Big Hit Part 2 the Results

Here is the result chart. Not a bad day when a $48 investment yields $3485.65. The only mistake I made was doing the $1 3,4,9 tri box instead of doing two $.50 boxes. That ticket yielded $2148.10 and was therefore a IRS signer ticket.

I hope this gives you some ideas and is helpful.

Name:  RESULTS CHART.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  210.3 KB

'Something magical happens when you bring together a group of people from different disciplines with a common purpose.' Mark Stefik Palo Alto Research Centre Fellow
Old 02-27-2019, 10:17 AM   #3
kahunab
Grade 2

A Big Hit Part3 The Horses PPs

The Runners:
Name:  HORSE 2.png
Views: 523
Size:  185.0 KB
Name:  HORSE 3.png
Views: 513
Size:  194.1 KB
Name:  HORSE 4.png
Views: 518
Size:  181.2 KB
Name:  HORSE 5.png
Views: 513
Size:  197.9 KB

Old 02-27-2019, 10:20 AM   #4
kahunab
Grade 2

A Big Hit Part4 The Horses PPs

The Last 4 Runners:
Name:  HORSE 6.png
Views: 510
Size:  196.4 KB

Name:  HORSE 7.png
Views: 507
Size:  182.8 KB

Name:  HORSE 8.png
Views: 512
Size:  201.7 KB

Name:  HORSE 9.png
Views: 527
Size:  195.7 KB

Old 02-27-2019, 11:04 AM   #5
Lt1
Grade 1

Congrats Kahunab. Very well done. Nothing like having a fun time and making money also.
Tim
Old 02-27-2019, 11:13 AM   #6
Bill V.
The egg man

Many thanks

Wow thank you for posting this big win And out linings of your steps and the past performance lines.

Thank you for your lessons

Good skill
Bill
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 11:21 AM   #7
Mitch44
Grade 1

kahunab:

Using your readouts my two horse bets would have been the 3 & 5. On the Velocity -POH screen where it shows FPS the 9 horse takes a serious decline in deceleration in the 2nd Fraction which for me would make him a non-win candidate.

You did a terrific job with this race and deserve congratulations. BIG CONGRATULATIONS!! Wishing you even greater success in the future.

Mitch44
Mitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 01:56 PM   #8
Bill V.
The egg man

Hello

Here is my look using Energy/Thoromation

My Contenders / Lines

Horse 1 out

Horse 2 No Line No recent plus races at today's distance

Horse 3 Line 4 excuse line 1, First attempt at OP
in the current meet, Excuse line 2 Ploy track, Excuse line
3 Sloppy
Line 4 competitive, Beat half the field. Moves against open3 calls against
open company $10,000. Drops today to conditional $8000.

Horse 4 No recent plus races no excuses line 1 or 2

Horse 5 No line No recent plus races

Horse 6 Line 2 Excuse line 1 First attempt at OP
in the current meeting. Drops after claim ?

Horse 7 Line 1 plus race Moves up after the claim.

Horse 8 Line 1 is a off track Since its a plus line
I will move down one race. I will rate him off line 2
Doc used 189 days as a cut off in this example.

Horse 9 Line 2 Simialsr case as with horse 8
I will move down 1 race to line 2 and project to six furlongs.

The Energy Generator

The 3 is a lone early

Name:  lone early.PNG
Views: 483
Size:  12.8 KB

With horses coming from many tracks and DTV's I will
accept Thoromations suggestion and use the 2 adjust

The EXDC screen tells the story

The top finishers are 3 and a close finish between 6 and 9

Name:  Preplay exdc.PNG
Views: 517
Size:  17.0 KB
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 04:02 PM   #9
kahunab
Grade 2

Thanks, Bill, I enjoyed your comments and assessment of the race. As I have believed for a long time, just as we had to do with the Sartin Programs, we can all use RDSS tools to look at the races in ways that make sense to each of us. We just need to put in the time and effort to learn from others and put together the strategy that works best for each of us.
While your method may not work for me, there is always something I can take away. As an example, I always loved listening to Jim Bradshaw and learned a ton from him, but I could never do what he did. To me, his picks seemed almost magical. Thanks again, have a great day!

Old 03-01-2019, 07:29 AM   #10
Bill V.
The egg man

thanks

Thank you

I work hard to follow along with my contender/paceline choices, the program really does not matter.

That's the power and why I don't look too much on non Satrin readouts

Here is how RDSS worked

BLBL

Name:  BLBL.PNG
Views: 488
Size:  54.1 KB

TPR

Name:  TPR.PNG
Views: 467
Size:  45.9 KB

SEGS

Name:  Segs.PNG