Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 07-12-2005, 07:44 PM   #1
shoeless
Grade 1

Playing at home or elsewhere

Fast brought up a good point do you all prefer to play the races at home or elsewhere.I prefer the OTB because all of the screens are in front of you and it's easier to follow the races that way. Shoeless
shoeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 09:15 PM   #2
alydar_ David
Grade 1

Three words:

Rebates, rebates, rebates!
alydar_ David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 09:54 PM   #3
Chip Napolitano
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alydar_David
Three words:

Rebates, rebates, rebates!

LOL yup!
CN
Chip Napolitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 11:32 AM   #4
socantra
Grade 1

I play mostly from home, just for convenience sake, but I confess I haven't taken the offshore plunge in search of rebates yet. The more I think about it, the dumber I feel for not taking advantage of this 'free money'.

Could some of you who are already playing the rebate game share some of your experiences, both upside and down.

I've heard generally good things about Pinnacle, largely through the users at Pace Advantage. Does anyone have opinions, good or bad, about them and other offshore sites?

Dick...
socantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 09:01 PM   #5
RichieP
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by socantra
I play mostly from home, just for convenience sake, but I confess I haven't taken the offshore plunge in search of rebates yet. The more I think about it, the dumber I feel for not taking advantage of this 'free money'.

Could some of you who are already playing the rebate game share some of your experiences, both upside and down.

I've heard generally good things about Pinnacle, largely through the users at Pace Advantage. Does anyone have opinions, good or bad, about them and other offshore sites?

Dick...
Dick,

I do not use rebates either preferring the ride to the track.

Well it is time to change.

Gas approaching 3 bucks a gallon here in NY, tolls going up etc.

Alydar has been barking at me for months if not years to join Pinnacle and get the 7 %. Me being a stubborn Italiano ( capetosta??) he laughs at all the money I am leaving on the table.

I hope he sees your thread and jumps in as he has much experience with the rebate shops Dick.

I will be joining up very soon. last 4 weeks going to the races 8 times total has cost me 123 dollars in gas and toll expenses.

Richie
RichieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 02:22 AM   #6
Jonathan Steele
Grade 1

When I do play, it's from my room behind my computer via 4NJBETS.com. I sure don't miss the 35-40 minute ride from my home in central Jersey to Freehold Raceway for simulcast action and the equally long ride back (sometimes longer if I had a "bad day" at the track). Ditto for the cigar and cigarette smoke, and the screamin', cursin', obnoxious "crowd."

Needless to say, with the price of fuel at an all-time high, the decision to invest from home is a no-brainer for me.

The only thing that I don't have (and miss) are the live feeds from the simulcast monitors. Wagering on races without actually seeing how they're running (track bias, etc.) is just not the same. And that (for now) really sucks.

Jon
Jonathan Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 06:02 AM   #7
shoeless
Grade 1

Jon, Why dont you use Brisnet and then you can watch the race feeds as well? Shoeless
Old 07-14-2005, 12:02 PM   #8
alydar_ David
Grade 1

Rebate Shops

Hello Dick,

The two rebate shops I use are eHorse and Pinnacle. I've been using eHorse for about three years and Pinnacle for approximately 21 months. Here's my honest opinion of both.

eHorse
Pros:
  • User friendly, designed specifically for betting horses
  • Excellent customer service
  • 5% rebate deposited into your account every Monday
  • Tracks and races listed in order of post, easy to see what's coming up next

Cons:
  • Cannot bet Pick3s or Pick4s

Pinnacle
Pros:
  • 7% rebate deposited into your account overnight, every night
  • Pick3 and Pick4 wagering is available
  • May be used in conjunction with ATR -- At The Races -- to submit real time bets, or conditional bets of your choosing (for example, advance bet the #6 in the third race at Belmont tomorrow if it's greater than 5-1 odds)

Cons:
  • Not user friendly, designed primarily for sports betting (like football)
  • Shutouts -- they go by listed post times, so if the track is running late you can be shut out as early as seven minutes to post time (although you can usually bet two minutes prior to post time)

Neteller is the primary source of funding for all Internet gambling. I suggest you reopen your Neteller account. Both of these work well with that.

I've never had a problem withdrawing funds from either eHorse or Neteller. eHorse will charge you $20 for your second withdrawal within a month (even if you only take out $100). Pinnacle will allow you one free withdrawal of $500 or more per month. Neither charges a fee for Neteller deposits. Note, the details on withdrawals may be subject to change. You might want to read the fine print, but I've never had a problem.

You can't bet the same tracks at both rebate shops. For example, eHorse takes Finger Lakes, Pinnacle doesn't. It works the other way around too. I forget exactly which tracks, but maybe PRM is taken by Pinnacle and not eHorse. In any event you get the idea. They both handle all the major tracks.

Both have a ceiling on exotic wager pay outs. If you're a serious trifecta or superfecta player then you have to balance those constraints and limitations against the rebate offered. On the other hand no taxes are deducted from your winnings. Of course, by law you're supposed to declare all gambling winnings.

Neither eHorse nor Pinnacle send your bets to the track pools as a matter of course. However, I understand eHorse (and possibly Pinnacle) lay off large, whale wagers with an English bookmaker who may or may not send it to the track. Both offer full track pay outs.

An anecdote if I may, a couple of years ago I was playing Pompano harness at night betting the place and show pools using Dr. Z's calculator. Since the bets I was making at eHorse were not going into the pools I was not tilting the payoffs. I remember one night there was an odds on favorite which had a total of $1 bet to show on him. The entire show pool was $29. He won the race and I collected an $18.00 show payoff. I had $40 to show on him. Obviously you can't exploit those kinds of things if your money is going into the pools.

I've never heard of anyone not being paid off at either place and I think your money is probably quite secure. Any business can go belly up though. So, a modicum of concern is reasonable.

Which is better? For me it's like the age old question, chocolate or vanilla? My answer has always been, "Both, I'll take two scoops, please."

I'm not a big bettor. My handle is about $2,500 to $3,000 when I'm betting around 100 races on a day like today. Obviously, I bet less during the winter when less races are offered. Still, due to rebates I was able to purchase the car I'm driving from rebates. Think about that for a minute; I bought a new car from rebates alone.

If you bet $3000 a day and break even what do you have without rebates? Zero. If you bet that with rebates guess what? You've just made $200 a day by breaking even.

To bet seriously without employing rebates is, to put it nicely, silly. The risk of wagering offshore more than compensates for the commensurate financial rewards.
alydar_ David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 04:57 PM   #9
shoeless
Grade 1

David, You certainly seem like a big bettor to me and what's more amazing is how you are able to bet 100 races in a day.Im lucky if I can keep up betting 2 tracks at a time. Shoeless
Old 07-14-2005, 11:03 PM   #10
Jonathan Steele
Grade 1

Shoeless wrote:

"Jon, Why dont you use Brisnet and then you can watch the race feeds as well?"

Hello my friend. In this once-Garden state, you can only (legally) wager online through NJ Account Wagering--NO OTHER OUTFIT. They too feature live simulcast action from the various tracks via Windows Media Player. But I'm still in the stone age with a dial-up connection. Needless to say, you can imagine how exciting watching a race via that method is with its constant stopping and rebuffering and all. So I don't. One of these days I'll just have to subscribe to the same horse racing channel via cable that the tracks have and be done with it.

Jon
Jonathan Steele is offline   Reply With Quote