Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > RDSS > RDSS2 / FAQ's
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

RDSS2 / FAQ's Information, discussion, screenshots, videos about the upcoming version, FAQ's

Old 05-02-2011, 03:11 PM   #1
Ted Craven
Grade 1

** NewPace in RDSS 2.0 **

As you will have seen from other posts about RDSS 2.0, it includes an optional set of readouts based upon the NewPace ideas of Dave Schwartz.

In his advertisement blurb about NewPace, Dave distinguishes this new work of his from what he calls 'Sartinian Pace', by which he means the pace ideas developed by Doc Sartin during the 1980's, which we generally label as Phase III and brought to the masses by Tom Brohamer in his 1991 classic Modern Pace Handicapping (MPH). By the early 1990's, with the advent of Energy!, Deceleration, etc - the Methodology had moved on from that phase and several waves of enquiry have followed since. Doc himself said often that he had to move on because the popularity of his ideas had lead to declining mutuels, while more obscure winners were fully within grasp using new insights. And the same scenario is true today.

For a methodology founded in pace analysis (though Doc said many times that it is better to think whole-race analysis) and the Matchup, it makes perfect sense to me to continue to enfold new thinking about pace from the best minds who are doing it. And Dave Schwartz' NewPace is an intriguing piece of new thinking into how horses vie for position and run Early or Late; and as such I believe it has a proper place among our modern enquiries into whole-race (including pace) analysis.
Dave has given me permission to base this new RDSS2 module upon his NewPace concepts as described in his video product and subsequent updates. He wants as many people to use it as possible, but he also wants access restricted to those who have purchased his NewPace product from him. I agreed to this. He wants discussion about the specifics and formulas, rules and regulations - basically the secret sauce - to be limited to those who have purchased it from him. I can accept his point of view on this.
To be clear - everyone who wants to use NewPace within RDSS2 (when it is ready) will be able to do so - all they have to do is buy NewPace first from Dave. No one who does not wish to use NewPace in RDSS2 (or doesn't even want to think about it) will be compelled to do so.

I happen to think it's a great idea to discuss the ideas as widely as possible while this part of RDSS2 is in development - to post screenshots, tally ROI, look at its strengths and weaknesses, propose enhancements, etc. Folks should feel free to continue to do any and all of that in the existing RDSS 2.0 Forum. But to keep Dave happy, we'll have to refrain from discussing the detailed rules and moving parts of NewPace in that Forum.
I have therefore set up another Forum - a private forum - named NewPace Discussion as a sub-forum under the RDSS Forum group. I have replicated the few recent threads containing lots of Selections, RDSS2 screenshots and discussion of rules and screenshots from Dave's videos and placed them in this new Forum. Some early testers have already created extensive spreadsheet analysis of NewPace components over hundreds of races. This forum is a good home for all of this and more: the next release of RDSS2 will have more ratings to consider in this NP context, and bug fixes and omissions, and many serious researchers will undoubtedly make for a better product than I could (or should) develop alone.
My suggestion would be to use the public RDSS 2.0 Forum for screenshots, discussion about usage, summaries of a day's profits/losses, ROI analyses, but instead, post any comments or explanations regarding rules or formulas, debate, critique or improvements in the new private NewPace Discussion Forum. Dave Schwartz participates regularly in this new Forum.

To join the NewPace Discussion Forum, simply send an email to support@SartinMethodology.com with proof of purchase of NewPace from Dave Schwartz (e.g. a copy of an emailed receipt of purchase) and you'll get access to that Forum. (Please also remind me of your PaceandCap User Name)

This private versus public discussion issue has troubled me somewhat. I would prefer it all to be in the open, but until I can convince Dave of that, this optional plug-in to RDSS2 has some licensing conditions on it. Hope this works for everyone, but please feel free to give any feedback!

If you want to purchase NewPace now, just go here: http://store.thehorsehandicappingaut...ewpace-bundle/

If you want to wait until RDSS 2.0 is released before making any decision (and I don't see why not) - that makes perfect sense to me.

FYI - I don't make any money at all from Dave from his sales of NewPace to anyone (nor does he on RDSS).

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™

Last edited by Ted Craven; 11-10-2014 at 10:02 AM.
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:20 PM   #2
ignacio todoberto bernal
Grade 1

Send a message via Yahoo to ignacio todoberto bernal
Saludos to everybody ! can somebody please,explain me this New-Pace-EL2.0 is?

thaks Ignacio.
ignacio todoberto bernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:35 PM   #3
barshoe
AlwNW1X

TED I GOT NEW PACE FROM DAVE ALLREADY OK..RDSS2 EL2 module I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE IT WHEN ITS READY..THANKS ..BEEN USEING RDSS FOR 2 DAYS SO FAR I LOVEING IT --GOT A LOT 2 LEARN.
barshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:52 PM   #4
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignacio todoberto bernal View Post
Saludos to everybody ! can somebody please,explain me this New-Pace-EL2.0 is?

thaks Ignacio.
Ignacio - Newpace is an approach to identifying Early and Late running horses developed by Dave Schwartz. It works by analyzing the horse's entire Past Performance, Early or Late running styles and a statistically representative range of Final Time Speed Ratings. Then some clever interpretations and betting strategies.

You can see his blurb about it here: http://thehorsehandicappingauthority...inar-download/

And you can see some early RDSS2 testers' screenshots of how I have implemented it in the upcoming RDSS2 (I call it E/L 2.0, sort of an updated reference to our own existing Early/Late analysis). Check several recent Topics in the RDSS 2.0 Forum.

R
DSS -
Old 05-02-2011, 05:02 PM   #5
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by barshoe View Post
TED I GOT NEW PACE FROM DAVE ALLREADY OK..RDSS2 EL2 module I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE IT WHEN ITS READY..THANKS ..BEEN USEING RDSS FOR 2 DAYS SO FAR I LOVEING IT --GOT A LOT 2 LEARN.
Barshoe,

For those who have bought NewPace, just consider it like a 3rd-party plugin to a program like Micrsoft Excel, or Outlook or Photoshop, etc. You bought it from the other guy, and plug it into RDSS - except it's me you get the module from, not the other guy!

If you confirm you bought NewPace (e.g. email me a copy of the sales confirmation will do until Dave gets something more formal or automated), you're registered. When you get RDSS 2.0 (whenever it's ready) you'll be automatically set up for it - no fuss no muss.

How 'bout that?

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 05-02-2011, 05:26 PM   #6
ignacio todoberto bernal
Grade 1

Send a message via Yahoo to ignacio todoberto bernal
Thak you ted. Ignacio
ignacio todoberto bernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:17 AM   #7
mikesal57
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Craven View Post
Barshoe,

For those who have bought NewPace, just consider it like a 3rd-party plugin to a program like Micrsoft Excel, or Outlook or Photoshop, etc. You bought it from the other guy, and plug it into RDSS - except it's me you get the module from, not the other guy!

If you confirm you bought NewPace (e.g. email me a copy of the sales confirmation will do until Dave gets something more formal or automated), you're registered. When you get RDSS 2.0 (whenever it's ready) you'll be automatically set up for it - no fuss no muss.

How 'bout that?

Ted
Ted...will there be any extra charges to current subscribers when RDSS2 is ready?
Old 05-03-2011, 09:51 AM   #8
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesal57 View Post
Ted...will there be any extra charges to current subscribers when RDSS2 is ready?
No. Any changes to RDSS2 usage fees that may ever occur in future will be independent of whether someone does or does not use EL 2.0. I won't be charging more just because someone is using this NewPace module.

I'm always looking for ways to add value to RDSS and to extend the scope of the Sartin Methodology in ways consistent with its philosophy.

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 05-03-2011, 12:10 PM   #9
BJennet
Grade 1

End of Sartin free 30-day trial?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Craven View Post
As you will have seen from other posts about RDSS 2.0, it includes an optional set of readouts which I have named EL 2.0 (Early/Late 2.0) which is based upon the NewPace ideas of Dave Schwartz.
Hi Ted,

From what you say here, I believe this is the first time the Sartin Methodology is requiring payment for a product without offering a free 30-day trial. One would think that Dave would have more confidence in his product if it is indeed as valuable as he claims. But obviously he's aware that there are some remaining bugs to be worked out, and he's getting his customers to help with the work. Interesting.

From my perspective as a potential customer, I'm not especially interested in the 'secret sauce' which I suspect is going to be changing fairly soon. And since this supposed to be a fully automated 'black box', there should be no need for anyone to understand the mechanics of New Pace, any more than they need to understand their car's transmission in order to drive it. But if there is no free-trial period with this product, I hope it will be possible to access (if only in retrospect) both all the contenders and results of the races being compiled by the beta testers. I think it would be especially helpful if all these results were centrally compiled and organized, rather than presented in fragmentary and piecemeal fashion, as is usually the case with the Methodology. Ted, you mentioned spreadsheets that are being developed with the results, so possibly this is already part of that process.

Re the issue of scratches - just wondering whether post-scratch alternate contenders would be automated? For me this would be crucial.

Cheers,

B Jennet

Last edited by Ted Craven; 05-03-2011 at 12:14 PM.
BJennet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:51 PM   #10
Ted Craven
Grade 1

BJ,

I thought I didn't make the point so obviously (yet), but you are very astute in observing that - as it stands now - there will be no free 30 day trial of NewPace in RDSS2. My alternative (so far) is ... no NewPace in RDSS2.

However - all Dave Schwartz' video products used to come with a 45 day no questions asked refund guarantee. If that's still the case ...

RDSS2 still and always comes with a 30 day free evaluation period. Any 3rd party plugins (NewPace, Improve/Decline, etc) may differ. For RDSS2, there is a good chance, for the first time, that TrackMaster will also be offering a money-back guarantee on RDSS data during the 30 day evaluation period. In development...

By the time RDSS2 is ready, I am very hopeful Dave S will see the value to him of a 30 day evaluation for NewPace. Either it's good for something, or its good for nothing. Who in their right mind would choose to take the automated and integrated EL2 components, use them, bet them for 30 days, presumably make some money - then decide to not spend $77 or less to continue? Do the math.

I see no reason why ROI readouts, detailed or summarized, should not continue to be developed and posted in public. The RDSS2 modeler in progress should be able to spit all that out as a matter of course, sliced and diced how you like it. The spreadsheet I mentioned (Bill Lyster is building) is so far a study of the efficacy, hit rate and ROI of certain rule percentages and gaps, and comparing the initial TrackMaster SR result to next round alternates such as Adj SR, Total Energy, Perceptor Total - which probably falls in the 'secret sauce' department.

Re Scratches - when you know of a Scratch, you check the Scratch box and the figures recompute. Presto. Equibase provides a live scratch feed which RDSS2 will check periodically (if connected to the toteboard) - for upcoming races. Scratches for the current race have long been automated (given a toteboard connection).

I agree with you on all your points! Let's move forward and see what happens.

cheers,

Ted

R
DSS -