Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 07-02-2006, 11:34 AM   #1
shoeless
Grade 1

Poll Question

I was wondering what program are you using and do you solely go by the readouts to make your wagering decisions.The reason I was asking is because during the Pirco days the teachers encouraged you to look at other factors and later on Doc seemed to be steering away from it.

I use Energy and will use other means to base my decisions on,such as class,trainers etc. Jeff
shoeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 06:37 AM   #2
shoeless
Grade 1

Yesterday by over anaylizing the form and not just go by the readouts cost me.I had a 46.00 winner in the 1st at Bel and a 27.00 winner in the 7th at Philly both on the turf.I didnt collect on either of them.Jeff
Old 07-03-2006, 08:58 AM   #3
RAMON201
Grade 1

Validator is my main program. After entering the pacelines and running it thru the Validator I look at the readouts and I will go over the PPs to make sure it makes sense to me. I pay little or no attention to the trainer, jockey, breeding , weight carried, etc. My main thing is are my contenders the real deal and can they perform with todays field. My wagering is sometimes straight win,place and other times exacta. I have had the tri on some occasions but more often than not didnt bet it. You can blow a lot of money trying to hit the tri. Yes sometimes I have spent way to much time looking at a race and got off a horse that I was going to bet only to lose the race. The other day I had a horse that was right on top in the bl-bl had a balance of 4 , looked to be in my eyes unbeatable and did not bet it because the morning line was 9/5. Needless to say this horse won and the public let him go off at 7-1. Whats really frustrating is to have a horse at 20-1 ML and have the public for some reason bet him down to 5/2 or less and not bet him because now he's not the value you thought and the horse wins. At times it seems that everything you do is wrong. When I get in a funk I'll take a break and play on paper , go over the races I missed to see if I missed something. Sometimes horses win races and there is no way you would have had this horse. The long and short of it is to work the Methodology the winners will come. In my mind the research has been done and theres no need on my part to try to reinvent it. What worked yesterday will work tomorrow. We have the advantage over the public because they are still using traditional handicapping methods , buying tip sheets , playing the favorite , playing a horse because they like his name , etc. I could go on and on but you get the idea.
RAMON201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 12:39 PM   #4
kiltman
Grade 1

Poll

RAMON you said it all just as it plays out day in and day out. I use SPEC but its all the same. Dont look at jockeys, trainers. weight. It is just the readouts and what is getting the winners using the readouts that are working at your track.
kiltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 04:15 PM   #5
shoeless
Grade 1

Thanks guys for you response so far it's 100%Readouts-2 Readouts+other info-1.Hopefully others will respond as well.Jeff
Old 07-03-2006, 04:30 PM   #6
Houndog
Grade 1

Jeff, as you know Energy is the program I have been using. Lately I have been using Aodds for contender and pacline selection than saving them in the Energy format. I have been trying to get the contenders down to 4-6 horses.

If I can't do this then I probably don't have a good handle on the race. If you put too many horses in Energy the readouts will be all over the place. Why make it hard on yourself as you can always move on to another race and track without having to deal with so many unknowns. With Energy just as with the other Sartin programs the read-outs and how you interpret them is the most important part.

I will on occasion look at trainer records. I am not looking for good trainers, but looking at trainers with records such as 2/50, 0/40, etc. I have to get good odds on horses trained by these types regardless what the readouts look like. I need to make the risk I am taking by betting these worthwhile.
Houndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 04:43 PM   #7
Rverge
Grade 1

programs

shoe
i echo ramons post. happens to me. i have gone back to the All-in-one v5 software along with spec. going to use it and compare SR and TR. bought the downloads from HDW. will use the trainer/jock for layoffs and Front bandages, 1st-2nd lasix it has a roi for these things. i know TM has this to. v5 breaks it out better for me. also i use only the read out. don't use the form but do use TM's pp's.
john
Rverge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 05:14 PM   #8
shoeless
Grade 1

I think that's interesting how people are using other software with the Sartin Programs.I would like to make that the 2nd part of the poll Do you use other software with the Sartin Program?I am using A ODDS gold as well with Energy,I really am impressed with A ODDS Gold as I have said before.Jeff
Old 07-03-2006, 05:23 PM   #9
Houndog
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeless
I think that's interesting how people are using other software with the Sartin Programs.I would like to make that the 2nd part of the poll Do you use other software with the Sartin Program?I am using A ODDS gold as well with Energy,I really am impressed with A ODDS Gold as I have said before.Jeff
Jeff, whatever program or combination of programs that gets you to the winner's circle is all that counts. Sounds like you have come across a procedure that works for you. Here is to your continued success.

NO RULES JUST RIGHT as they say.
Houndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 10:10 PM   #10
shoeless
Grade 1

Houndog,Well I had ALOT OF HELP getting there yourself,Richie and Bill included in that group.Also a BIG THANKS to Gary who took the time to meet up with Pino and myself a few weeks back.Now if I just listen to your guys advice and trust the readouts I would be fine.Jeff