Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...)
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) Interactive Teaching & Learning - Race Conditions, Contenders, Pacelines, Advanced Concepts, Betting ...

Old 12-19-2012, 11:41 PM   #1
For The Lead
Grade 1

Review of TAM 4th 12.19.12

Tampa Bay Downs has been open since December 1st. In other words, it has had just 7 racing days since it opened. When I was a youngster, the old-timers use to tell me not to play a track that just opened until the horses have had a chance to run across the track at least one time and preferably two times. Why? The first time across the track, the horse might be “getting use to it”. The second time it will likely run to its’ current form. If the horse doesn’t show anything in two attempts across the track, you can then make a determination about the horse.

The other reason to wait is, at the beginning of a new meet, in many cases, horses will be shipping in from numerous tracks throughout the country. Allowing them to race against each other a couple of times will help the handicapper get a feel for how these horses from “all over the place”, match up against each other.

One of the hardest things to do in handicapping is find a good race to play. A race where you will be comfortable that you can make a good analysis of each horse and that the race will run true to form. “True to form” does NOT mean that the favorite should win.

So with all that in mind, let’s look at the 4th race from Tampa Bay Downs today, which is a 7 furlong race on the dirt.

First I will post the PP’s for every horse in the race.
Following that, I will comment.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:42 PM   #2
For The Lead
Grade 1

Horses 1,2,3

Here are the first three horses.
Attached Images

Old 12-19-2012, 11:44 PM   #3
For The Lead
Grade 1

Horses 4,5,6

Here are the next three horses.
Attached Images

Old 12-19-2012, 11:45 PM   #4
For The Lead
Grade 1

Horses 7,8,9

Here are the final three horses.
Attached Images

Old 12-20-2012, 12:06 AM   #5
For The Lead
Grade 1

My comments

In the Sartin Methodology, it is a common guideline to skip Maiden races and especially maiden races where there are more than 2 first time starters. They are generally classified as “Unknown Factors”. This is not a maiden race, so there are certainly no first time starters. But are maiden races the only races that have Unknown Factors? Let’s look at each horse.

#1 – this horse has been running fairly well up north, except for its' last race on the turf. Take notice that this horse has been running in sprints “up north” at PRX, MTH and MED
#2 – this horse hasn’t run in 159 days. Take note that it has run at GG, OP, IND and ELP.
#3 – this horse has a ML of 20/1. Take note that this horse ran in a couple of turf routes at TAM last year and has been running in sprints up north at SUF since then.
#4 – this horse hasn’t run in 167 days and its’ races go back 474 days. Not good. Also, when it was racing, it primarily ran in route races. It has raced at MNR, LRL, TAM and CRC.
#5 – this horse has 5 races in the last 89 days. Only 1 is a “+ or (+)” race and that came in a route race. This horse has been staying closer to home, having raced at TAM last season, then CRC.
#6 – this horse hasn’t race in 269 days. All but one of its’ races are route races and most of those are turf races. Last season it raced at TAM and prior to that it raced at HAW and AP.
#7 - this is the only horse in the race with a “+” race, in a sprint, at today’s track. It is the horse’s only race in the last 90 days. It shows races going back 470 days. Not good. Most of its’ races are sprint races. Take note it has raced at DEL, PEN, TAM, GP, Mth and PRX, so it moves around just about every start. Not good.
#8 – this horse has been racing frequently and does have a race across the track. Almost all of its’ races are bad. That is to say, most of them are not “+” or “(+)” races. It has been running at DEL until its’ last race.
#9 – this horse’s last race was 89 days ago and it was bad. It also has a ML of 20/1. It shows races as far back as 429 days ago. Not good. The majority of its’ races are route races on the turf. It only shows a couple of good races and they were route races on the turf. It raced last season at TAM and then a couple of races at CRC before taking time off prior to the start of this meet.

How many "Unknown Factors" can you find in this race?

We have horses that haven't run in several months

We have horses, that when they were running, were running in route races. today's race is a sprint.

We have horses that, when they were running, were running in route races on the turf. today's race is a sprint on the dirt.

I think I counted 16 different race tracks that were represented by these horses.
If I counted correctly, just two of these horses have had a race across TAM at the current meet.

Is this the type of race that gives you confidence in your selection???
Old 12-20-2012, 10:23 AM   #6
cody
Grade 3

F T L you are 100% right,keep up the good work by showing me my mistakes.

Thanks
Cody
cody is offline   Reply With Quote