Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Selections
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Selections Post Your Picks - 1 race or a card

Old 07-08-2013, 04:43 PM   #11
DaveEdwards
Grade 1

Ted,

I took a look at the raw %Med figures comparing the Race 7 & Race 10 to check the impact of before & after the downpour. Small sample size I know!

R7 8.5F 66.98%
R10 10F 67.42%

Not a massive swing admittedly, but it was in the direction of an earlier paced horse. This on top of the lone front runner scenario & slight traffic problems for the 7 I guess all added up to give the 1 just enough opportunity to hang on.
DaveEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:14 AM   #12
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lyster View Post
Ted:
Question. Did you hide the winner of the Singspiel because of low price, wagercapping the rest or did you eliminate it as a contender on some other basis.

I couldn't get away from her, but it took a long time to see that finishing 9th at Pimlico was a pretty good race, having lost by only 3.9 lengths.

And I would be remiss to state that the adjusted SRs from Preakness weekend scare me a little bit as most horses that day seemed to hit personal bests, with Hard to Like two races earlier failing rather grandly.

Heal up soon,

Bill
Mostly, I was dubious of his recent form. Only that last PIM race made him anything close to warranting his betting odds - as you observed with others that day. I figured if there was a price available in this race it would come from betting against that horse. So I 'ante'd up' against it (on the 8 and 6 to win, primarily with a side WP bet on the 10. A dutched exacta bet including the 2 ended up recouping most of my betting unit).

I was not dissatisfied with my decision process.

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:41 PM   #13
atkinsrr
Grade 1

Ted...do you have any connections with track personnel at Woodbine??..I only bet that track when they have big stakes days such as the Queens Plate day. When we bet Woodbine at an off track facility on stakes days they rarely show the tote board for the simulcast bettors because they are showing "The Royal Mounted Canadian Police" marching around the track ...this seems to go on for 20-30 minutes...bettors at simulcast facilities don't want to see that...if we are betting WO we want to see the tote board odds and exotics pools.....can anyone in Canada help?? Just a thought!!!!
atkinsrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:40 AM   #14
Bill V.
The egg man

true

That is why its great to use the tote function on RDSS
You can see the odds all the time. When ever you want.

Pomp and circumstance for the casual once a year big stakes day visitor
is just good business for the track

Bill
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:22 AM   #15
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsrr View Post
Ted...do you have any connections with track personnel at Woodbine??..I only bet that track when they have big stakes days such as the Queens Plate day. When we bet Woodbine at an off track facility on stakes days they rarely show the tote board for the simulcast bettors because they are showing "The Royal Mounted Canadian Police" marching around the track ...this seems to go on for 20-30 minutes...bettors at simulcast facilities don't want to see that...if we are betting WO we want to see the tote board odds and exotics pools.....can anyone in Canada help?? Just a thought!!!!
Hahaha! Alas I have no influence whatsoever with Woodbine. As I mentioned above, that happens once per year on the biggest race day in Canada, and in the period leading up to the Singspeil Stakes. In good weather, some years, they also have a horse and buggy carrying Queen Elizabeth or a representative in front of the stands. It's quite a proud and long-standing tradition actually (oldest continuous Stakes race in North America - the Queen's Plate). Those horses and riders are highly trained - and you know, the Mounties always get their man

It's a ceremony, not dissimilar to all the time spent on Kentucky Derby day reviewing women's hats, or singing my old Kentucky home, or interviewing jockeys, trainers or movie stars (i.e. instead of showing the tote feed). Same with Preakness, Belmont, Breeders' Cup days. Got to get the tote info elsewhere during those few times (e.g. online if you have a computer handy - even a 'smart phone' will show you odds).

Part of horse racing is pomp and circumstance - the colour, the pageantry, the history. Some do enjoy it.

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™

Last edited by Ted Craven; 07-15-2013 at 03:37 PM.
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote