Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...)
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) Interactive Teaching & Learning - Race Conditions, Contenders, Pacelines, Advanced Concepts, Betting ...

Old 04-04-2017, 12:41 PM   #11
papajohn3times
Grade 1

Question pace line procedure

Thanks to all who have replied!
To Mitch: Can you give a brief explanation on pl and contender selection? You seem to be a great teacher along with Ted,Ritchie P.,For the lead and Bill V.
Do you keep a track profile and limit yourself to 1 or 2 tracks? What factors or readouts do you keep track of?
Ted has graciously granted me the test version of RDSS.2 and I seem to be getting hung up with trying to use RX. Any thoughts and/or replies would be so appreciated!
Papa John
papajohn3times is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:30 PM   #12
Lt1
Grade 1

Papa which rx factor are you using. I use rx3 and have posted some results in the private testing section comparing it to bl/bl. Remember that in the rx factor line score only vdc is depended on the paceline you select. I have found that on numerous occasions there is a big difference between the rx and bl/bl tiers. I tend to go with rx3 but still lean on my track model and of course final odds. I have also found that horses that rank in the top 4 of both win 67% of my races.

Tim G
Old 04-04-2017, 02:10 PM   #13
papajohn3times
Grade 1

Smile pace line procedure

Hi Tim
I knew there was another poster that I forgot! It was you! I have been using rx1 and the differences are many times not in the top 2 bl BUT now I understand what the rx3 is based on. Is it the same for RX! AND RX2?
Thanks for the great and fat reply!
Papa:
Old 04-04-2017, 02:15 PM   #14
Mitch44
Grade 1

For my pace lines I pick the best of the last 3 at a similar distance and surface. Where ever that takes me is where I go and I don't care if its line 1 or line 10. Out of those last 3 I pick the line with the best Total Energy and Perceptor line. I will go back to 4 if the horse had a trouble line among those 3. When I used the Racing form I totaled the speed rating and variant. At $7 a pop I use it once a year for the Breeders Cup to get a handle on the foreign horses. Its PP's are terrible also,a poor product.When I used BRIS I used the best speed rating of last 3 at a similar dis. & surface. I still use Bris for their PP's for analysis of a horses record because everything is in one place and they contain better and additional information than Trackmaster. Why not go with the best which is RDSS and Bris PP's, plus I get Bris for free. Anyone not sticking to the "Doc's" criteria(best of last 3 at a similar dis. & surface) and using Total Energy in conjunction with Perceptor well good luck with that as you'll need it. The Perceptor is pretty much fool proof and idiot proof as far as earlier versions. I don't look at the class of the lines I choose which is old school circa 1985 Pace line Manual, the Total Energy and Perceptor supersede that. Additionally there are many different classes today that didn't exist years ago, that some are hard to figure out.

If your new I would suggest picking a line for all the horses and scratching by the lowest Total Energy or BLBL which most of the time are the same. You'll get a lot of practice on correct pace line selection also by picking a line for all the horses.

I don't use the Fulcrum and flat don't believe in it. The lines you choose is the Match Up and the true fulcrum is within that. Additionally its time wasted that should be used to do a complete review of a horses charts. I don't keep track profiles or models because I play all over the country. The match up of horses supersedes a track profile and model. If I only played one track I would keep track of the number of beaten lengths where a horse has to be at the SC. and one or two other things. I no longer use the tandem process which I used back in the 90's. I find its not any kind of considerable edge, you'll win some and lose some. The concept of it is the change of form among horses however there are many other reasons for reversals such as a horse being at it proper distance,class etc.

I don't keep track of any readouts because I don't need to. If your new I suggest you keep a record of factors till you learn what's best within RDSS. I believe data bases are a waste of time and takes away your time for handicapping. Horses race against each other not against a data base. They can be good for some trainer information etc. Large data bases become cumbersome and if not current end up as useless information. Few if any purge all that old data because they have an investment in time gathering it.

I don't consider myself a teacher nor want to be. Ted, Bill V and Richie P are teachers within RDSS. I don't mind helping someone out nor does LT1 if asked.

This answers how I do it and my thoughts on things and it works for me. Those who are contrarian to this have the right to believe in what ever they want to. I believe in keeping current and adapting as things change. In other words I like my power windows, air condition, power brakes and modern shocks etc. I' not riding around in a 1950 car or model A. One can't be closed minded and must be open to new ideas. If you can't adapt and rid oneself of old pace line selection methods etc. as an example, your doomed to a slow death.
Mitch44
Mitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 02:45 PM   #15
Lt1
Grade 1

Hi PAPA. I posted the results of 2 surveys in the private section which you should be able to review now. It showed how bl/bl did vs all 3 rx factors[200races]. I found rx 3 to be the better of the3 but there are many races they are the same. I'm partial to rx3 because of profit line factor which I have used for years. If you don't have access to the private section yet let me know and I'll pm the results to you. The 67 % top 4 was based on rx3.
Tim

Last edited by Lt1; 04-04-2017 at 03:01 PM.
Lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 03:28 PM   #16
papajohn3times
Grade 1

Smile thank you!

Thanks to all of you for the nice and informative relies! I left you out Mitch but it was a oversight on my end! I greatly appreciate you're how to reply! I do read all your posts also.
Thanks again guys
Papa John
Old 04-04-2017, 04:19 PM   #17
Lt1
Grade 1

Anytime Papa.
Tim