Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Hat Check - How Can We Help You?
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Hat Check - How Can We Help You? Jim 'The Hat' Bradshaw - Learn The Matchup

Old 08-31-2008, 11:52 AM   #11
Charlie D
Match Up Apprentice

Hi Bill

I read about it, but i have not used it

I'm making silly mistakes, trying to run before i can walk i think Bill
Old 08-31-2008, 06:15 PM   #12
Turbulator
Grade 1

Early and fighters.

** Steve. Early is a big problem for me too. This race WHO can possibly fight with the #6 at the 1c? That is the position where he fails when fighting right. ** RichieP
Attached Images

Last edited by RichieP; 08-31-2008 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:22 PM   #13
Charlie D
Match Up Apprentice

Quote:
This race WHO can possibly fight with the #6 at the 1c?

No one and because no one can, he is not using up the units of energy he needs for later

**** BANG! **** RichieP

Last edited by RichieP; 08-31-2008 at 07:29 PM.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:28 PM   #14
RichieP
Grade 1

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbulator View Post
Early and fighters.

** Steve. Early is a big problem for me too. This race WHO can possibly fight with the #6 at the 1c? That is the position where he fails when fighting right. ** RichieP

Steve
Having posted the above I will tell you this.

I hope folks take just a bit of time to read what you wrote about YOUR experiences with certain grouping of fighters. This is what it is all about.

Personal experiences and hard work after being exposed to the fundamental important stuff. Doesn't get any better than that.

As Hat said many times "That's what you are supposed to do"
Old 08-31-2008, 07:38 PM   #15
Turbulator
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post
Just as soon as I posted I realized the answer. Fighting, the horse does not fare well. But, like you said, who is going to fight with him here? He should get the comfortable lead he needs to coast on home.

And, as usual, when I handicap too fast, I overlooked his third line back, which is a barn burner. However, that line was against a very fast pace. Today's pace will be much slower.

My thinking is that if he doesn't get the lead in this race he's toast. He has to wire this race to win it--and it's very likely that he will.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:50 PM   #16
Turbulator
Grade 1

Fighting and Failing

I think I should clarify my statement about "fighting and failing."

Horses who fight tend to get extra credit. You might say to yourself, "he's running well, he matches up, and look--he's a fighter!"

If the horse does well fighting, then yes--he gets that extra credit. But when I see all those things, I tend to ignore the fighting part of the analysis if the horse "fights and fails."

I might say, "look, this horse is a fighter-that's great! But wait a minute--he doesn't do very well when he's fighting--so how can that be a good thing in this situation?"

If he doesn't need to fight, as in the example race, then so much the better. But if he needs to fight at all, it can be a very big negative. This is where I tend to downgrade "the fight in a horse" and look at other things instead.

Old 09-01-2008, 02:29 AM   #17
VoodooFan
True Disciple of Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie D View Post

No one and because no one can, he is not using up the units of energy he needs for later

Nice , and another CLEAR way at looking at Earlies who are HEADED at the first call and lose.

Nice , fresh way of stating the reason, Charlie.

VoodooFan
Old 09-01-2008, 02:54 AM   #18
VoodooFan
True Disciple of Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieP View Post

2) Ugly
3) Ugly
4) Ugly
7) Ugly
8) Ugly
This term is not in the Mind Eye exercises.

Startin to sound like THE HAT. He did'nt quite have a definition when people asked him what or why is he called a horse " ugly ", and THE HAT usually says, " cause he is".

Maybe "erratic" could also mean horses with no particular style and/or questionable fitness....one fair race then one disaster followed by a fair race, etc.,

So now the question begs to be asked:...... in RichieP's "Mind's Eye", what is the definition or qualifiers of ugly, besides horses that lines that are 5th thru 13th position at all calls with the average beaten length of 13 each call?

Horse's that fail and collapse TOTALLY at todays projected pace with not even two competitive calls put together?

VoodooFan
Old 09-01-2008, 05:47 AM   #19
VoodooFan
True Disciple of Voodoo

Exclamation ugly

Never mind ,Richie.

Looking at the 22.1, they either :

Ran it competitively (once) long ago and is not competitive at way slower fractions.

Total deterioration at much slower 1st calls.

Competitive at much, much slower 1st calls recently, last 4-5 races.

Good races , power moves and positions at calls from 4/5ths(generous average) to over a full second plus+ and more SLOWER than projected 1st call.

In other words, U-G-L-Y.

VoodooFan

** There it is Voodoo. That is why IMHO working races with an actual early horse(s) Proj pace at 1c-2c makes life so much easier. It kind of sets everything up for you. Who can run against it. Who can't. Who used to be able to but times have changed. *** RichieP

Last edited by RichieP; 09-01-2008 at 06:40 AM.