Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Classic Sartin Programs - Support, Discussion
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Classic Sartin Programs - Support, Discussion Phase III/MPH, Synergism, Energy, Kgen, Entropy, Thoromation, Quad-Rater, PaceLauncher, Synthesis, Validator, Val4, Speculator, etc ...

Old 12-06-2011, 09:26 PM   #1
JimG
Grade 1

DosBox and Val4

On my Win7 64-bit machine I have had great success running many old dos programs (mostly games) using dosbox. However, Val4 has been causing me a little trouble. The program starts up fine in dosbox but it does not find any files in the c:\trkmast folder. I can run it fine in my virtual machine but wanted to run it on the Win7 side like I do so many other dos programs.

Has anyone else been able to run Val4 successfully using dosbox? Appreciate any help that you can provide.

Jim
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:26 PM   #2
Ted Craven
Grade 1

DosBox mounts a folder as a drive volume. E.g. c:\val4 gets mounted as Drive C: However, Val4 expects to find files on C:\TRKMAST. So, for Val4 inside DosBox to find C:\TRKMAST, outside of DosBox those files must be located on c:\val4\TRKMAST (which inside of DoxBox will appear as C:\TRKMAST and Val4 will be ).

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:36 PM   #3
Bill V.
The egg man

old blue

hi Jim

I have a little problem running Val 4 Dos on netbook with Windows 7
I use tame The only issue I have is that for some reason
the cards don't load the first time i start it up. I have to open the program
then close it then the second time I open it it works fine

Bill
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:38 PM   #4
JimG
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Craven View Post
DosBox mounts a folder as a drive volume. E.g. c:\val4 gets mounted as Drive C: However, Val4 expects to find files on C:\TRKMAST. So, for Val4 inside DosBox to find C:\TRKMAST, outside of DosBox those files must be located on c:\val4\TRKMAST (which inside of DoxBox will appear as C:\TRKMAST and Val4 will be ).

Ted
Ted,

You can appreciate this. I had actually thought of what you wrote above earlier (kudos to me), HOWEVER, after reading your note I noticed that instead of creating a new TRKMAST folder within the val4 folder, I had just created a shortcut folder of the TRKMAST folder that resided on c:\ and placed that in the val4 folder.

Thanks for writing me back and making me take a second look. All good now.

Jim
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:49 PM   #5
lone speed
Grade 1

I have a question...If Val 4 is part of Rdss, I was curious to the reasons as to why a person would still use Val 4 as a separate program. I do understand the reasons one would still use synergism as part of their process...Just wondering out loud. Does anyone have a good understanding of the program differences of Val 4 and say Synthesis. I could research in the Follow ups but I am hoping for a quick summary from a seasoned user... Thanks in advance
lone speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:12 AM   #6
Bill V.
The egg man

Comfort food

To me it nice to open up Dos Val 4 now and then
The readouts are 99.99% the same whether I use Dos val 4 or
RDSS in val 4 mode so its not that I'm looking for one program to
out do the other The numbers are very much the same.

For me its a sentimental feeling of happy times
I did thousands of races on Val/Dos I saw many great winners
and looked over the shoulder of teachers who showed me
how to win, using old blue so its a joy to see those blue screens and push those keys

Synthesis was a much more complete program than Validator
validator was created because some people had trouble with all the tools
that were on Synthesis.
Doc wanted to simplify the methodology so he created a program that tightened up the readouts so that final odds and 1 readout VDC could be
all some clients would need to succeed. RDSS 1 is very much like Synsthesis Much more is offered to a wide range of users. Every thing on Synthesis is not on Validator RDSS has everything in some form that was on both Synthesis and Validator Plus many tools for users of the Match up Matchers who wish to attack the races as Jim Bradshaw did can do so much more with RDSS

GS
Bill
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:22 PM   #7
lone speed
Grade 1

Bill,

I appreciated your reply to my questions and I have enjoyed and valued your posts the last couple of years that I have been following this board...I have admired your fortitude to "hang on" and climbed your personal"mountain" in your life.

Yes, I do remember that many subscribers of Doc's methodology wanted a magic screen, alas the B/L screen, but from my calloboration with a fellow methodology user and from my own personal experiences, I couldn't have agree more with your last opinion that with Bradshaw's match up principles, one can increase one winning % and roi %. Many thanks again..
lone speed is offline   Reply With Quote