Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 05-17-2012, 12:29 AM   #1
joseph
AlwNW1X

DTV Configuration Settings

My DTV settings are the deafault settings. I do not have New Pace in my program.

Should I still set my DTV settings where Ted has them set -15

+ 15 or is that only for those using the New Pace program ?

As far as paceline selection playing at Woodbine this evening I used the TPL = E/L screen with segmemts screen on bottom panel.

This allowed me to scan each horse's better past performances in
varioue relationships appearing on the segments screen.

The last race exacta 2 with 6 was well represented.

This setup
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:35 AM   #2
joseph
AlwNW1X

Joseph continuing--

This arrangement allows pace line selection by default, rather than by choice thus pointing to only horses who can contend.

For me the program tools do the work and I become a spectator.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:32 AM   #3
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph View Post
My DTV settings are the deafault settings. I do not have New Pace in my program.

Should I still set my DTV settings where Ted has them set -15

+ 15 or is that only for those using the New Pace program ?
This setup
Joseph,

The range of DTVs (Daily Track Variant) you permit to be used in computing the Adjusted SR is unrelated to NewPace. You use adjusted figures everywhere in RDSS, so you must determine if the rationale behind limiting some of the extreme DTV values seems valid to you.

The rationale is: since 0 DTV is precisely par or average for a given track, surface and distance, and negative DTVs indicate final times FASTER than that par, and positive DTVs indicate SLOWER than that par - and we slow down raw call times for FAST DTVs to normalize our Adjusted times (and thus subsequent velocities, and energy %, and compound factors and Line Scores ...), and speed up raw call times for SLOW DTVs - then, if a particular line has a very FAST DTV (e.g. -30) or a very SLOW DTV (e.g. +30), it may either penalize or over-credit the horse's adjusted times if we use too much of that DTV.

A given race's final times are not ONLY the result of the inherent surface condition that particular day (whether drying, freshly wet, sealed, frozen, deeply harrowed, whatever ...), but are also affected by the calibre of competition and the way the race way run - i.e. by the matchup of the horses running. There is inherent imprecision in using other than the supplied DTV values, but limiting excesses is a method of 'smoothing' swings of apparent track speed and may give you consistent longer term results.

I set my DTV range to -15 ... +15. As an exercise, pick a horse which appears to run consistently and which also shows some very fast or very slow DTVs in its history. Observe its variation in Speed Ratings when you set the range DTV range to Full (-50 ... +50) compared to when you set it to a tighter range (don't forget to clear the Cache for that race in between comparisons). The SR range for a consistent horse should not vary as wildly as the DTV range. I believe you will find that limiting the excesses of DTV will cause a consistent horse's SR (and all the other Adjusted figures) to similarly appear more consistent.

Limiting the DTV range will absolutely lose you a few races where a plodder was elevated to top rank by crediting him with time from a SLOWly run race, and conversely downgrade a horse from a paceline run against a fast DTV. The long term is the aim here, AND - to encourage you to be aware and wary of extremes of DTV and, as in all things, not to expect the software to predict horses as regularly capable of things they have not necessarily done in real life. In other words, guard against 'fun with numbers'.

Also note that by default, whatever DTV we accept (whether limiting excesses in range or not), we further use - by default - 50% of that DTV in determining the time value to speed up or slow down our raw call times. You can choose to use 100% of the DTV or 0%, though I do recommend the Default of 50%.

Hope this helps a bit.

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:13 AM   #4
joseph
AlwNW1X

On BL BL Screen -first 4 categories are SR--R A I--TOT--DCI--

I understand speed rating but the next three need clarification as to nomenclature and relationship if these are the correct letters I am seeing.
Any experts available
Old 05-23-2012, 08:36 AM   #5
Bill V.
The egg man

Balance

Hello Joseph

SR - Speed Rating
BAL - Balance , The rankings of the Early and Late energy potential readouts
added together 3 EE/P + 3 LE/P would be a 6 balaance
Tot - Total Energy rank
DEC - A raitio of velocity to deceleration
this readout replaces LSP or long shot potential which was on older programs like PL4, Symthesis and Validator
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:03 PM   #6
joseph
AlwNW1X

Joseph thanks you Bill V