Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 04-21-2020, 05:33 PM   #1
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Appreciation for Bill Varone

Friends, I am sorry to tell you all that Bill Varone is quite ill - with pancreatic cancer in addition to his previous kidney-related issues. I have been in regular contact with his sister Lois, and sent Bill emails, texts and voice messages over the past few weeks. She wanted me to know and to tell everyone here that Bill does receive his communications from time to time, including at PaceandCap, and deeply appreciates all good wishes and expressions of support. He may not be able to respond directly, but he definitely feels - and needs - all the love.

Bill and I go back to 2004 when he was first dabbling in creating a community for Sartin Methodology students and fans of Doc Sartin. Over the years we have learned a great deal from each other, fought sometimes like brothers over how to take care of P&C, but eventually saw more than eye-to-eye on everything. We've seen each other yearly at the Saratoga gatherings the past 11 years, and we went to the Breeders' Cup together at Del Mar in 2017. Bill put me up at his home and introduced me to his family - all of them the nicest and most caring individuals you could hope to meet.

Doc Sartin told me in 2008 something like: "Bill is a beautiful soul who sometimes wears his heart on his sleeve and just wants to help everyone." I know for sure that he made that old man's heart glad. It is because of Bill's gratitude to Howard Sartin for changing his life, that we are all here enjoying this community, having this conversation. Seeds planted by one person grow into a fertile forest, which in turn propagates itself.

Regardless of how Bill's health turns out - and I dearly pray and send all energy I can in his direction so it can be used however is most right - I want to say right now: Bill, please know how grateful I am to YOU for what you have created and for helping me to make my 'dream-job' come true of working in horse racing and using my skills to help further Doc's dream; for providing the opportunity to meet so many great people, including your family, and for this classic 'introvert/hermit-type' to give a bit of himself over the years to so many people.

I hope we get to talk soon, but until then - please take every breath, even if sometimes painful, knowing and feeling how well loved you are, that you have created something beautiful and special in this world, and that one day (hopefully not too soon though!) you can share that joy of what you created with Doc and Jim The Hat.

I've been to your home in Carlsbad, just up the road from Del Mar, so I know the beautiful view of the vast Pacific Ocean you see daily when you open your eyes. That makes it easier for me to visualize your daily life there, though not the pain you must be experiencing right now. I wish I could make that go away. I wish you peace and comfort right now, my brother. I wish you healing, in all its forms. I wish to buy you a stiff soda at Saratoga (if not this year, then next) and handicap and watch the races together at least one more time!

When you read this, please give a hug to your Dad, and to Lois and Ed.

Much love always,

Ted

Saratoga 2018 (?)

Breeders Cup 2017

Name:  billz.billv.ted.BC.2017.jpg
Views: 3495
Size:  90.7 KB

Saratoga 2008

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™

Last edited by Ted Craven; 09-10-2023 at 07:47 PM.
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 05:46 PM   #2
gandalf380
Grade 1

Very well said Ted. Bill is one of a kind and I have always looked forward to seeing him. It was great that we were able to help him in honoring the legacy of Doc Sartin with that named race at Saratoga. Looking forward to many more good times with him. We are all praying for you Bill.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:55 PM   #3
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf380 View Post
Very well said Ted. Bill is one of a kind and I have always looked forward to seeing him. It was great that we were able to help him in honoring the legacy of Doc Sartin with that named race at Saratoga. Looking forward to many more good times with him. We are all praying for you Bill.

Here's the photo of that day in 2009!

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 06:25 PM   #4
Bill Lyster
Grade 1

Location: Escondido CA just 25 minutes from where the turf meets the surf - "...at Del Mar"
Hey Bill, best wishes from just down the road. Hope you are feeling better soon in these tough times. Keep up the good fight.

All the best,

Bill
Bill Lyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 06:33 PM   #5
Lt1
Grade 1

Thankfully I finally got to meet Bill the last several years at Saratoga. He is such a gentle giant. He always goes out of his way to help anyone who ask carrying on the best traditions of the Doc. I will continue to pray for him. God bless you Bill.
Tim
Old 04-22-2020, 12:19 AM   #6
dogkatcher
Grade 1

Bill, your always in my prayers, I think now would be a good time for a Binder move, do it.
Old 04-22-2020, 01:58 AM   #7
Swifty0x0
Grade 3

I've only met Bill once (last year's Saratoga meet), but that was enough to confirm what Ted has said. He'll be in my prayers as he fights through his illness.
Swifty0x0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 04:10 AM   #8
DaveEdwards
Grade 1

All the very best Bill. Thinking of you. Starting all this you've touched so many lives.
Whatever happens stay strong.
DaveEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 06:05 AM   #9
RichieP
Grade 1

Bill you have always been there for me, a great friend and trusted confidant. I remember soooooo many great times both at the table and at your home with Brooks and Nomorebocci! You have helped so many people and touched so many lives with your genuine desire to do good that your legacy always lives on. I love you bud!
Richie
Old 04-22-2020, 06:41 AM   #10
omar
Grade 1

Now is the time to draw upon your inner Sartin sustained energy to beat back this latest challenge life has thrown at you. Think positive, I'm praying for you to win buddy.

Last edited by omar; 04-22-2020 at 06:45 AM.
omar is offline   Reply With Quote