Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) > Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum General Handicapping Discussion

Old 09-02-2011, 10:20 AM   #1
partsnut
BetMix User

An Old Article On Dutching (American Turf Monthly)

By todays standards with the short fields and all, this method may be somewhat difficult to use.

Dutching
We've all heard the word Dutching. In the old American Turf Monthly book called Treasury of American Turf there's an interesting article about the topic. Here's how it goes:
Set a daily goal, say, of $50. Make sure your top three contenders win at a clip of 75 to 8o% - that's the most important part. Follow this Bookie Percentage Wagering Table and bet all three of your contenders.
Post Time Odds/Amount to Wager
8-5———————————$19.00
9-5———————————$18.00
2-1———————————$16.00
5-2———————————$14.00
3-1———————————$12.00
7-2——————————- $11.00
4-1———————————$10.00
9-2———————————-$9.00
5-1———————————-$8.00
6-1———————————-$7.00
7-1———————————-$6.00
8-1———————————-$6.00
9-1———————————-$5.00
10-1——————————-$5.00
Over 10-1———————-$4.00

Now, the total amount bet should never exceed $42 (That's based on $2 bets. It could be $420 if you're betting more, obviously). The author suggests a max of $35 (or more as I just said) for best results. As always you must pick your best betting spots. That's means it works best when your contenders are not all in the top three betting choices - that figures. Follow the program and you'll make a profit every single day.
Disclaimer: I have never used this approach but it might be a good research project. A $2 test project won't kill anybody.
partsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:01 AM   #2
JimG
Grade 1

Bill,

Thanks for posting that. I think Dave Schwartz used to be a fan of dutching. Not sure any more.

I tend to bet longer price horses, so for me, on those rare cases I may bet two horses to win, I bet an even amount on each. That works best for me. Overall I prefer playing races wherein I either straight bet or key in exotics a non-favorite. I tend to bet no horses at less than 4-1. I pass many races but look at several cards to get potential bets.

Jim
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:55 AM   #3
partsnut
BetMix User

JimG:
Quote:
Bill,

Thanks for posting that. I think Dave Schwartz used to be a fan of dutching. Not sure any more.

I tend to bet longer price horses, so for me, on those rare cases I may bet two horses to win, I bet an even amount on each. That works best for me. Overall I prefer playing races wherein I either straight bet or key in exotics a non-favorite. I tend to bet no horses at less than 4-1. I pass many races but look at several cards to get potential bets.

Jim
Hi Jim, I thought this would be a possible method for the RDSS , New Pace and V/DC users. It seems they are playing either 3 or 4 win horses in a given race.
I myself can't see the logic in that. I normally bet on one horse to win.

I think New Pace and RDSS (V/DC) are great for contender selection but in my opinion, betting on multiple horses to win will burn up your bankroll in the long term. This is just my opinion and no one has to agree with me.
I also feel the same way about the exotic bets.
partsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 01:21 PM   #4
Dave Schwartz
Grade 1

Quote:
When the whales became so firmly entrenched, it kind of removed the bottom end horses from play. For me, this took the dutch out of my arsenal.

I still use it to measure how many horses I can put in but actually flat bet the horses.

Dave
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 01:22 PM   #5
Ted Craven
Grade 1

From my communications with a lot of RDSS users, I would be surprised if the average number of different horses bet to Win per race much exceeded 2. This would include those races where 1 horse is bet, and those where 3+ horses are bet.

The NewPace experiment some people are conducting (and some of it on paper) appears to involve betting 3 or more horses to Win, but in reality, I believe that day in, day out, actual $$ wagered, and for some years, is not that high.

None-the-less, a good dutching/hedging tool or strategy can be a valuable addition to one's arsenal.

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 04:01 PM   #6
El Santo
Gone

Talking

http://www.bettorsolutions.net/Dutch...nStrategy.html
El Santo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 04:41 PM   #7
Dave Schwartz
Grade 1

My personal strategy has me wagering 3.2 horses per race... but I am actually working to cut that down further. The biggest strides I am making is in tossing a few of those longshots and especially POs.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:51 AM   #8
mikesal57
Grade 1

Hi Dave....

Can you help us out and give us a formula on how you get your horses down to the 3/2 threshold like in the video..

thxs
mike
Old 09-03-2011, 09:22 AM   #9
Dave Schwartz
Grade 1

Sure. Actually, someone asked me that question and I have a NewPace News List update ready to go out later today.

Very simple, really.

Use the "booking percentages" for each horse (i.e. 2/1=33, 3/1=25, 9/1=10, etc.), just start at the longest odds and work down. Keep a running total of the points. When you are at 25 points you are getting 3/1. When you are at 33 points you are getting 2/1. At 40 points you are getting 3/2.

That's it. Easy.

So, if I have put in two horses and have LESS THAN 40 points, I add another horse. Set your threshold wherever you want, but mine is at 40.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:21 AM   #10
mikesal57
Grade 1

thxs Dave...much appreciated...

I'm sure that its a mad rush to do this at say 3 mins to post

mike