Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) > Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum > Welcome to the Sartin Methodology
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Welcome to the Sartin Methodology New members: introduce yourselves! Ask about how to get started, get pointers in the right direction.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:27 AM   #61
Tim Y
turf historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judicious Player View Post
I do not blindly look for a horse's best race when choosing a pace line.

Before I pick a pace line, I try to determine today's pace, based on the horses entered in the race. Then, I pick a paceline that is as close as possible to TODAY's projected pace, which, may or may not be, the horses's best race.

In other words, how will the horse fare against today's projected pace?
EXACTLY projection is the key
Old 06-12-2010, 03:38 AM   #62
tizlinda
AlwNW2X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie D View Post
FTL

This tutorial explains better than i ever could.

http://paceandcap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5623

The True contenders in todays race is what we are looking for i think and the variables you use to find these is entirely down to personal choice as some will give more weight to one particular variable than another as you can see from Jeff and Tims posts on race conditions.
This tutorial seems to suggest picking todays pace based on the fastest last pace at todays distance from a horse that contended. This disregards the LB of the contending horse which means that it would in no way predict todays pace (or explain to me how it would if I'm missing something).

I have been trying to actually predict the pace based on how many early horses there are and what they are capable of. With no early horses why wouldn't you factor in BL and adust the paceline accordingly? How is choosing a paceline that a horse not in contention today created predicting todays race fractions?
tizlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 02:54 PM   #63
SilentRun
Grade 1 Aspiree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Craven View Post
For The Lead,

Further, a caveat to recency (which I think is not contradicted by your stats on winners, as presented), is that for many of us, we're seeking contenders for ALL pools, thus while a certain share of winners pay uninteresting mutuels (which differs by track), knowing the place horse or legitimate other in-the-money horses gives also the opportunity to participate in place and vertical exotic pools. Laid-off horses working their way back to form will place and show along their route to the winner's circle, so I want to include them in my analysis today, then vet them as appropriate for the win wagers.

Ted
Re: The above post particularly the last sentence. I like to use William Scotts study on The "Fabulous " Five Furlong Workout, cited in his book "HWYHRT".
For those who have the book pages 42-51. He throws out statistical data from his own studies to support the effectiveness of the five furlong workout
in order to qualify a laid off horse.

His main point is, the horse can be considereded to be a contender for workouts of five furlongs or longer that occur within the past 14 days,
no matter what the time may be and no matter how long the horse may have been away from the race.

I have been using this in my handicapping effectively and I can post many races in my archives to demonstarte this. In fact this is the only effective tool that I know of that can qualify laid off horses. Below is an example of a horse that won and paid $16. Notice that there were 2 five furlong workous within 14 days. Many of these laid-off horses place and show hence I always check out these type of horses as part of my handicapping process.

Ernie
Attached Images

SilentRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 04:24 PM   #64
admin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentRun View Post
Re: The above post particularly the last sentence. I like to use William Scotts study on The "Fabulous " Five Furlong Workout, cited in his book "HWYHRT".
For those who have the book pages 42-51. He throws out statistical data from his own studies to support the effectiveness of the five furlong workout
in order to qualify a laid off horse.

His main point is, the horse can be considereded to be a contender for workouts of five furlongs or longer that occur within the past 14 days,
no matter what the time may be and no matter how long the horse may have been away from the race.

I have been using this in my handicapping effectively and I can post many races in my archives to demonstrate this. In fact this is the only effective tool that I know of that can qualify laid off horses. Below is an example of a horse that won and paid $16. Notice that there were 2 five furlong workouts within 14 days. Many of these laid-off horses place and show hence I always check out these type of ehorses as part of my handicapping process.

Ernie
Thanks for the feedback regarding 5f works to qualify layoff guys Ernie. I am definitely going to check this out man cause I have no fear betting layoff guys but know that most flame out.

I will definitely see whats what with this "angle"!

Again many thanks for sharing!
RichieP
admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 05:01 PM   #65
Bill V.
The egg man

Lrh

Ernie
Good points about the 5f workouts Your $16 winner is a good example
Also in the book HWYHRT on page 51 Wm Scott talks about the 5F
when looking at Young lightly raced horses and how horses with slow 5F
works are not showing any life and can be tossed from win contention

things to watch
1. the 5 furlong must be within 7 days = check
2. must be a bullet work this won is not a bullet because it was 10th out of 34
but the time was under 1.00 so that qaulifice as FAST = Check
3. The workout 13 days ago was 3/10 and less than 14 days = check

Last edited by Bill V.; 06-12-2010 at 05:06 PM.
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 05:30 PM   #66
SilentRun
Grade 1 Aspiree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill V. View Post
Ernie
Good points about the 5f workouts Your $16 winner is a good example
Also in the book HWYHRT on page 51 Wm Scott talks about the 5F
when looking at Young lightly raced horses and how horses with slow 5F
works are not showing any life and can be tossed from win contention

things to watch
1. the 5 furlong must be within 7 days = check
2. must be a bullet work this won is not a bullet because it was 10th out of 34
but the time was under 1.00 so that qaulifice as FAST = Check
3. The workout 13 days ago was 3/10 and less than 14 days = check
Thanks for the feedback..Scott makes great points. I feel it is worth the
effort to consider this situation and other situations that he presents in the
book such as the "Big Win" meaning 3 lengths or more.

With reference to point 1 above the 5 furlong workout must be within 14 days.
Refer to page 51 for the summary. You may be referring to the "The Potency of
the Seven-Day Horse".

Ernie
SilentRun is offline   Reply With Quote