Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > RDSS
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

RDSS Racing Decision Support System – The Modern Sartin Methodology

Old 05-03-2010, 11:14 PM   #1
tizlinda
AlwNW2X

rdss class questions

I have been through information overload over the last few days in trying to crash course this program and handicap weekend cards. Now I have started reading they "yellow manual" as suggested (somewhere in here). It brought about questions as to how RDSS handles class.

The bottom line to the question is; how much work do I need to do in this area and how do i go about it. Or does the program do it all for me?

does it handle track to track comparisons?

Please redirect me if these answers already posted. I did do a quick search.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:32 PM   #2
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Hi Tizlinda, and welcome to Paceandcap and to RDSS and the Sartin Methodology.

As you boiled down your question to the bottom line, I will do also: you don't need to bother with the Yellow Manual. It is 25 years old, it was 'translated' if you will by Tom Brohamer into 'Modern Pace Handicapping'. The Methodology has moved on, a lot, since then. To jump start into the modern Methodology, start with Follow Ups #70 and forward, say from 1998 or so. Later, for a historical perspective (if that interests you), go back to the older manuals, including 'old Yeller', but do investigate theoretical classics such as "Dynamics of Incremental Velocity' and the Red Match Up manual and the 55% Solution on Exotic betting, among the older works.

Re 'class': regarding the regularly encountered handicapping question 'do these different horses belong in the same race together today' - a good majority of that answer (say 80% + of the time one would ask it) - is provided by the equalized, normalized, adjusted figures within the software. With some exceptions (i.e. the < 20% of the time) if you compare the Total Energy figure, or the Adjusted SR ('SR' column on Adjusted and subsequent screens - not the TrackMaster Speed Figure), or Perceptor Total (Primary Screen) or the TPR (TPR + E/L screen) or TPP (Energy Screen) and certainly the central BL/BL and VDC ranks (BL/BL screen) you will have a number which very often renders horses from different tracks, different surfaces (within reason and with caveats) and different distance structures (again, with caveats) comparable to each other.

In other words, Total Energy = Class, more or less... You will certainly get all sorts of interesting alternate points of view from those who are expert (and I use the term sincerely) and who feel that the various class hierarchies of the man-made class structure (open claiming, conditioned claiming, conditioned allowance, stakes/restricted stakes, etc) must be understood and consulted to truly be able to choose between the final list of contenders - and to a certain degree that is true. But some (including me) would say that need not be so complicated and that the above numbers get you a high degree of the way there in comparing true contenders.

Re track to track comparisons - the built in TrackMaster intertrack variants (or ITV) - built into the adjustments, unless you turn them off in the Configure window - do a very good job most of the time (except when they don't...) of equalizing similar efforts from different tracks (e.g. compare 6f DEL to 6f PIM, or 8f CD to 9f PHA, etc). Some ITV comparisons don't always work as well as they might (FE --> WO adjustments can sometimes overrate the low class FE horses; I'm sure others have their own collected observations).

BTW, the way ITVs work is: all lines from ALL tracks are adjusted to a hypothetical norm (affectionately called Sartin Downs). In other words, in a 6f race today at CD, a horse's 6f CD line and another horse's 6f AP line are both adjusted to Sartin Downs - not CD 6f (a simpler mechanism than calling todays track, surface and distance the '0 track', or 'the norm' and then adjusting every other line to a dynamic norm, rather than a fixed norm). Just so you don't look at adjusted call times on the Adjusted screen and say - these times are not correct times for today's track, distance and surface.

Hope that begins an answer - there is more to it, but feel free to query again from here.

Again welcome, and best wishes!

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Old 05-04-2010, 05:00 PM   #3
tizlinda
AlwNW2X

Thanks, I'll try to digest it all later, my next question is this; I've found the glossory of abbreviations but it's not thorough enough for someone who hasn't kept up with the evolution of this methodology. I am certain reading the manuals #70 on upward will shed some light and insight into many of them (that will take some time), but is there a definitive manual for the program that describes every part of it because I feel like I am scrambling around the forums to find answers that are probably in a manual somewhere. For example, what is the perceptor number (clearly important from the videos I've seen).

I'm enjoying the yellow manual as a refresher and it never hurts to explore the evolution of a methodology (plus I've already printed it and am halfway through it). It's exciting to know that a method that could turn losers into winners and a 63% win rate (betting two horses) could be improved upon.

At first glance it (the program) looks like too much information, I suppose if you understand each bit and use it wisely it's not a detriment. I am plugging away at it slowly but a one stop shop of abbr. explanations would help alot.
Again, I know of the page of abbreviations, but it is not complete. Remember, I'm old school Brohammer and am only used to Ep, AP, SP and FX.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:13 PM   #4
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Very sorry, Tizlinda, but there is no good, formal manual for RDSS. The Glossary defines terms (thanks, Bill V!) but we've never done a distillation of the many issues of the Follow Up which dealt with the derivation (such as can be made public, on some numbers), the interrelationship and the interpretation value of them. I agree this is sorely needed, and is an integral part of RDSS 2.0. Some of the RDSS videos attempt to address these questions, some posts by me and others, here and there, deal with these questions as they arise, or are asked by newcomers such as yourself. But no manual.

Re Perceptor Total: it is the sum of the 7 Primary Factors when they are expressed as % deviation from best (0.0% is best), with the best sum being the Total 0.0% from which all other horses' Perceptor Totals are themselves a % deviation. The Perceptor Total number (and associated rank) seeks to inform you of the best paceline to use: you must determine an acceptable time frame, relevant distance and surface compared to today.

For example, the paceline selection strategy referred to as 'best of last 3, comparable distance and surface' can refer to this Perceptor Total rank to find the best line within the recent 3 or so, given certain caveats (i.e. should be apparently fit today, layoff should not be unreasonable, not too different distance if possible, same surface if possible, etc).

We can have a conversation if you like, check your PM.

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™

Last edited by Ted Craven; 05-05-2010 at 07:07 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:19 PM   #5
atkinsrr
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizlinda View Post
I have been through information overload over the last few days in trying to crash course this program and handicap weekend cards. Now I have started reading they "yellow manual" as suggested (somewhere in here). It brought about questions as to how RDSS handles class.

The bottom line to the question is; how much work do I need to do in this area and how do i go about it. Or does the program do it all for me?

does it handle track to track comparisons?

Please redirect me if these answers already posted. I did do a quick search.
This is Randy from Evansville IN. & have been with the Methodology since the early 90's. I don't believe there is a way to crash course the
knowledge & be successful for the long term. IT TAKES YOUR SUBCONCIOUS
TIME TO ABSORB THIS MATERIAL SO THAT IT BECOMES SECOND NATURE>
AS "DOC" USED TO TELL US:PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE GOOD LUCK
Old 05-07-2010, 03:05 PM   #6
tizlinda
AlwNW2X

I don't believe I can learn it all in a weekend either. I have a short term goal of 2 years to be profitable and 4 to 5 to to try to improve enough to be in the top 10 percent of handicappers. Lofty goals I know, but for now I would just like to know what all of the data stands for.

I have patience, however, once I put my goals on paper I have a tendency to put blinders on and try to crush my timeline. I might find this to be more difficult to do than with poker, but it won't keep me from trying. I already feel I am ahead of schedule.