Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 12-07-2018, 01:02 PM   #1
mick
Abiding Student

Remember Pearl Harbor

This has nothing to do with horse racing, but I can't let December 7 pass without saying something.

My father enlisted after the bombing of Pearl Harbor, on this day 77 years ago, and served with distinction in the Pacific. As a little boy, I would sit on the edge of the bathtub and watch him shave. In my mind, I can still see the scar on his upper right arm where he was shot by a sniper on one of those jungle islands where he was building landing strips for our planes. So many of my generation have memories of our fathers and their military service during WWII. (And as I type this, I'm thinking of my friend Galen, who fought in another war for our country.)

I seldom switch on the news these days as there are things about my country that I no longer recognize and frankly find appalling. One thing that has never changed, however, is my gratitude and respect for the men and women who have served. Thank you, veterans. And let's all take a moment and remember Pearl Harbor.

Illustrated Glossary
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 01:53 PM   #2
Lt1
Grade 1

Well said Mick. With all the nonsense going on today it's very easy to forget the sacrifices made by the men and women of the greatest generation. God bless those vets still alive today and may the ones who have passed rest in His peace. And yes our friend Mitch served our country during the Viet Nam conflict and was wounded. Let us never forget those who served and still serve today.
Tim
Old 12-07-2018, 02:59 PM   #3
Mitch44
Grade 1

Mick,

Thanks ever so much for your Dad's service and all his sacrifices to our great country during WWII. He truly is a great American hero.

And thanks to all those that patriotically support our great Veterans both past and present.

For those that didn't serve in the military your patriotism to our country is the foundation for our future. Thank you law enforcement, fire fighters,first responders and good old Joe 6 pack or better known as the patriotic citizen.Your truly the best and "Above the Rest."

Mitch44

Last edited by Mitch44; 12-07-2018 at 03:09 PM.
Mitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 04:40 PM   #4
gandalf380
Grade 1

My father also joined the army after Pearl Harbor. He was stationed in the Aleutian Islands in close proximity to the Japanese. He turned 93 two weeks ago. As a sort of a tribute, I carry one of his dog tags with me.
Old 12-08-2018, 03:37 AM   #5
darmar
Grade 1

Good Job Mick

Both my father and father-in-law served with the Allied forces in Europe in WW2 and both came back mentally and phsically scarred from the conflict. I too stand in awe of all veterans of conflict as they selflessly give of themselves to preserve and protect our democracy and way of life. So my friend I will raise a glass and offer a toast of gratitude on this day to all living and passed on Pearl Harbor Day.

Darryl
darmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 09:17 AM   #6
tom
Grade 1

God Bless those who stood up to tyranny and prevailed at a terrible cost.
It really was Good vs Evil back then.
tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 09:52 AM   #7
Dorianmode
always learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf380 View Post
My father also joined the army after Pearl Harbor. He was stationed in the Aleutian Islands in close proximity to the Japanese. He turned 93 two weeks ago. As a sort of a tribute, I carry one of his dog tags with me.
My dad also was up there, for a while. As an engineer, he built roads ... the Alcan Highway first (not sure what he did in the Aleutians), then his group went to Burma to build the Burma Road, where a bridge was blown up, under him. He was injured but not seriously. He and his 3 brothers all served, one a Navy fighter pilot, not sure what my other two uncles did, .... but my aunts tell of when they were leaving, (their family home still belongs to us ... my cousins have it) my grandmother standing in her dining room, looking out the windows watching as they drove down the long driveway, with tears streaming down her face. Somehow, miraculously, her 4 boys all came back. We forget how much pain was endured even by those who did not actually go, to say nothing of that which was endured by those who lost friends and family.

On a lighter note .. one of my aunts on my mom's side, was a nurse in the army. (Actually she ended up in the convent, and a rather famous nationally known nun-educator and college president). She was in London during the bombing, (the blitzkrieg), and was the charge nurse on her floor. One evening General Eisenhower (the Allied Commander-in-chief) came to visit the troops on her floor, and was there for quite a while. At some point she told him "I'm sorry sir, but visiting hours are over, my patients need their sleep". haha She actually kicked a future President of the United States off her floor, and if you knew her, it was totally in character. She was the only woman in her law class etc etc etc, as well as being known for her constant stream of Irish jokes. They were a great generation.

Last edited by Dorianmode; 12-09-2018 at 09:54 AM.
Dorianmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:36 PM   #8
Mitch44
Grade 1

They weren't called the Greatest Generation for nothing. Sorry I was remiss in replying as I had some computer problems for a couple days and was out of action.

Terrific comments here and family trees.

I was remiss to not include all our allies as great Patriots also. Such as those from Canada, England in WWII and in Vietnam Australia and Koreans quickly come to mind. Their support and assistance made a significant difference.

Mitch44
Old 12-23-2018, 07:55 PM   #9
AbqVic
stretch run

Thank you Mick, and all above who posted to this thread. The WWII era people really were the greatest generation. Especially compared to many young people today who are content to mooch from their parents, and are OK with having no future.

I'm very new to this forum, so I didn't see the thread when it started, but if you members would indulge me, I would like to honor my father and mother. Keep in mind, I was born in 1943 and my parents were only 20 years old when they had me.

My Dad worked in San Pedro, CA building ships for the war effort. My Mom worked building P-38s at Lockheed Aircraft in Burbank, CA. My Dad was then drafted and shipped over to the Pacific Theater. During a beach landing, Okinawa I think, he was wounded by a mortar round. A piece of shrapnel lodged in the base of his spine.

They shipped him back to a VA hospital in Martinez, CA, but he could not walk. They said he would never walk. He was there for two or three years. But, kept working out with overhead weights and eventually he got feeling back in his legs, and was able to relearn how to walk. His chest and arms became so strong he could do push ups between two chairs and lower his chest to below the level of the chairs.

During that time, the pain was so great that he got addicted to the morphine they gave him. Then he drank whiskey, but ended up drinking about a fifth a day. So he gave that up and took aspirin until he became allergic to it. From then on, he just put up with the pain, and a lifetime of enemas because his colon was messed up. My Mom had to ride the Greyhound bus from Burbank to Martinez and back just to visit with him during that hospital stay.

Amazingly, after he got discharged, he went to work in construction as a door hanger. He was paid by piecework. I still remember him carrying two doors at a time up apartment staircases. I don't know how he did it.

Years later, in 1966 I got drafted and after spending time in Ft Dix, NJ got orders for Vietnam. When saying goodbye before I shipped out, he said that if I had wanted to dodge the draft by going to Canada, as many did, he would support that decision. He said that when he served, he was told WWII was the last war, and his sons would never have to fight in any wars.

My parents are both gone now, but my Dad lived to be 93. To this day I am in awe of how strong people of that era were. It is a humbling experience to think of them.

A salute to everyone above who served the concept this country was meant to be, and also to all those who appreciate those that served, and currently do serve.

Thank you, and excuse me if I'm out of line here. I know the forum is about handicapping, and mentioning social issues is probably in poor taste.

Vic
AbqVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 08:07 AM   #10
Mitch44
Grade 1

Vic your not out of line at all and you're words are appropriate for this thread. I found your words and family tree to be interesting and compelling.

How about this coincidence, I was at Ft. Dix in 1966. Assigned there after returning from the University of South Vietnam. What an education that was! Never know perhaps we crossed paths.

Thanks for your service Vic and may you succeed in all your endeavors.

Mitch44