Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 07-17-2009, 07:27 PM   #1
pktruckdriver
Grade 1

Thinkin Problem, actually record keeping

Hey Richie

This was awesome, really it was fantastic, and a video too.

http://paceandcap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1339

And For the Lead's thread

http://paceandcap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5891

Now my thoughts on this please are not to be taken out of context, I hope, as I am trying to learn this and have no issue with the work involved to do so, I do how-ever have time issue's, on most days, as I'm not retired and do not work your normal 9-5 job, maybe I should, but right now I don't, so I must make the best use of my time and I ask for help here, and if you wish to criticize, that's okay too. Most here do not and maybe I should omit that in the future.

1st. Using Excell or any spreadsheet, I have not and will need to learn how to, why, because Richie's program is exactly what I need to use it will be perfect, for record keeping , unless someone has a better idea, and I doubt there is one, except he went too far for me, including everything, but for those with time, and maybe 60-100 words a minute typing skills, in-putting all that data from one race , to me would take 10-30 minutes maybe a race, too much time, about 5-6 hours maybe per card.

2nd. Would anyone be willing to help me with a crash course on excell use, enough to maybe use and be able to read and print and everything else I would need to do to use Richie's workbook to it's best ability, otherwise find the trends for the track I am working with, to see what's winning and what's not, and would this be an easy thing to teach, or would it be dang near impossible, Ted has taught me, the few meetings we had when I began, if you need an opinion of how well I listen and try to learn, so maybe a few hours or a weekend cram session, whatever it took, as I feel I would get it quickly and then be on my way to doing this myself, thus making another step towards my goal of learning RDSS.

3rd. Now instead of over 60 or so factors, that I was thinking of , and would need help here, please, of just maybe starting out recording about 10 or so factors, and your input on those 10 or so would be appreciated, and then also being able to adapt the workbook to having only those factors in it instead of all the ones in there now, but keeping the tabs on the bottom for distance and surface thou, that was great and will be needed, I even know that much. Now these factors would help me to identify what, how the track is running for sprints and routes, early or late speed bias's, best energy output for what race types, etc..., and help with what to llok for and how to spot it, would be appreciated too, as I have never done this before and will be happy to learn this and do it for myself, but need to be taught , please!!

4th. Now is it me or would I want a record book for each track I play, that way it does not get confusing when trying to read the info in it, just asking here as if one book has everything in it how would I seperate it, but if I had a MTR book , and SA book, not running yet, I know, but you get the idea here, I could then read and see the patterns without having the different tracks co-mingle, am I right here, just thinkin out loud...

5th. Now most people think that I should know all this , and some I do, but I need a little help, and was under the impression I could ask for it here , unlike in Doc's days where they say until you're at 65 % or better don not bother us, now I may be fabricating a bit here, but it seemed in the old days you were expected to know certain things, and it is those certain thngs that I am now trying to learn, thus learning them will enable me to move forward and learn RDSS better, I do not need anyone to do it for me, just show how to do for myself, while the video Richie did was awesome and will help me already understand some of it, but still, there was much still , to me anyway, left out, like how to read the info and evaluate it, the trends we look for and how to bring up the right screens to do all this, to you it may be simple to do, but not me, not yet, Okay. I need a little Help Please.

Again thank you all for reading this and your help however small is very appreciated and just a few years ago I never even turned on a computer, but slowly I am making great progress, and will continue to do so each day that I can find the time to do so, an hour here ,a few there and before you know I record keeping all by myself and finding the trends that I should be, just like some of Y'all, that's the plan anyway.

Thank again

Patrick
http://www.singingfool.com/Title.aspx?publishedid=91870
pktruckdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 11:44 AM   #2
pktruckdriver
Grade 1

See Number 4 already skipped my mind as Richie covered this in his video, and yes I forgot it, it happens when you got a full plate, like I do. But should I be denied a chance to learn because my schedule is full, I certainly hope not, that would be sad.

As the link states I do have a....
http://www.singingfool.com/Title.aspx?publishedid=91870

But with time I can overcome this, but without help it may take longer.

Thanks
Patrick
Old 07-18-2009, 01:50 PM   #3
mikesal57
Grade 1

like I said before ,pat, u need to take one thing at a time...

gl

mike
Old 07-18-2009, 02:13 PM   #4
Bill V.
The egg man

Hi Pat.

Mike is one of the nicest men.
I know .
Listen to him... This takes time
you need to take things slow
As a fellow trucker
.look at learning things in the methodology
As how you learned how to handle
Your rig. No written word or video
can teach you how to feel what you
Know by inscint. You know how
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 06:37 PM   #5
Bill V.
The egg man

Follow Up 82

This is from Follow Up 82

Doc Makes his own spread sheet .
Simple and targets what he felt were the
readouts that would be best to track
Attached Images

Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:17 PM   #6
mikesal57
Grade 1

thxs Bill...I'm here a year and still cant get it right

at the beginning I thought i knew it all after a few weeks reading about RDSS and the match-Up....

Then I started hitting like crazy....

NO...not winners ...the "Add Funds" button at Twinspires every couple of weeks

had to regroup and slow down...now I add funds about every 3 months

as you can see in some of my selections lately...I'm on the fast track again...and I need to slow down again..

one day I'll get it right

mike
Old 07-19-2009, 01:09 AM   #7
Tim Y
turf historian

I started with Phase III in the late 80's and was probably a part of Pirco on the ground floor. Now THAT program was not too user friendly but it was not until almost 3 years later that ENERGY was on my computer that the light came on.

The later programs SYNTHESIS on, allowed fo much beter experimentation to find correlations never written up before (use of he E/l as a primary predictor)

Read Malcolm Gladwell's The OUTLIERS. He states that NO ONE can be a real success without a minimum INPUT of 10,000 hours. Remember that and the light WILL come on if you work at it.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:56 AM   #8
noddub62
Budman

Agreed.

About the same is a college degree or better!
noddub62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 04:52 PM   #9
pktruckdriver
Grade 1

Gentlemen gentlemen thank you all, but I am not trying to get this over nite or by next month or even next spring, but I am just trying to obtain or aquire a way to better help me keep the records.
Something that I should keep to help me learn RDSS and also how to maybe spot track bias's if I am so lucky to notice them, which IN TIME I will learn, but for now this minute, I was hoping for a A More Time saving way of keeping records, that was all.

BillW ,...what you presented me with there is absolutely awesome, very very similar to What Richie suggested to me, which I seem to have deleted by mistake, and that was about 10 or so factors that I could start with and as I get better with practice and inputting , at that time I could add more(Corolarries/facttors) if needed, right.

I was hoping for maybe a quick lesson or two with making up the workbook like Richie did, except eliminating about 30 of the factors to make it easier for me to use, and to then use it , by inputting a few races and then bringing it back up to read it, see I have never done this before with Excell, and just want to learn how to do it, learn any tricks for saving and printing or what ever else may be needed to use it properly.

I do hope that I am not being pursuaded to give this up, as I HAVE NO INTENTION OF THAT, NO SIR, if I only got a few hours here and there, well then I will continue trying and learning , that is one reason why trying to make better use of the limited time I have , will do nothing but help me, and finding a quick and easy way to record my results from the races I played or did not play, can only help me save time and Richie's workbook is great, I just need a quick Excell lesson or 2 to understand excell well enough to use his program and to also make the factors less than 40+, how hard should this request be, if no one has time to help me learn excell, (only well enough to use Richies wb, not become a master in Excell) I may have to find another place or way to learn it, but I will, because unless y'all really feel that taking note and recording your decisions are not necessary, then I won't , but we all know that note and record keeping is vital to RDSS.

Okay maybe this time I am more clear, not looking for easy way out, never have, just looking for help to make record keeping less time consuming for me, sorry, but for me time is not plentiful, I wish it was, but... life goes on and it takes most of my time, not making excuses, just trying to deal with what I got to work with, does this not make any sense, I'm not quitting, programs maybe but never my desire for playing the horses.

And having just got here it is not my desire now to quit RDSS either, as I like it's potential and I like the method, the people, and feel that it could help me find winners, and isn't that the bottom line, finding winners, in what 65-80% from your top 2 picks, which I think is a little different then when you bet the top2 for value, as going for value may lower your win %, but not sure about that yet, as I have no records yet, gotta go

Patrick
Old 07-19-2009, 06:01 PM   #10
jms62
Grade 1

Patrick... I think you are setting yourself up for a letdown. Do you know what they call someone who claims 65-80% winners?? Delusional.. Maybe it is achieved every now and again in a 20 race cycle but over time no way.. If someone had an edge like that all they need to do is apply a full Kelly wagering strategy and they would be richer than Bill Gates in a short time..
jms62 is offline   Reply With Quote