Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...)
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) Interactive Teaching & Learning - Race Conditions, Contenders, Pacelines, Advanced Concepts, Betting ...

Old 06-01-2014, 07:16 PM   #1
Captain
Maiden

E/L graph

Let me introduce myself as an old time Sartin Methodology member. I have been away for many years. For the past several weeks I have been lurking in the background studying all that I have missed over the years and reading the post that have been on this website. Maybe someone can help me with a question I have.
On the E/L graph there are the nice little bars. I understand the graph fine with one exception. The nice little numbers within the bars, tell me big numbers and little numbers ok big or small what? I have no idea what they mean. I know that they are weighted but I have looked everywhere to find out what they mean. Grrr I can't seem to find that out. I must have skimmed over it one night when I was tired.

Last edited by Bill V.; 06-01-2014 at 09:29 PM. Reason: title changed for clarity
Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:25 PM   #2
Bill V.
The egg man

The Early - Late Difference

Hello Captain

I will answer this in a way that may help other too

The EL graph is showing many things in RDSS
But this will help folks who see the Early late graph n older programs too.

The TPR screen and or the E/L difference graph shows.
1. How the horse used its energy Early or Late.
It shows its difference pace line or against each horse in analysis in a stick /bar graph. The bars are color coded.
Red for early and blue for late .
2. It shows the horses actual EPR and LPR - Phase 1 readouts in the actual number the horse earns . based on the formula from Pace Makes The Race .
This little number is the difference between the EPR
and the LPR

In RDSS the lines are RED for Early
and Blue for Late.
In the older classic programs the
lines point right for early and left for late. The number are the difference between the EPR and the LPR - Early or Late pace

Here is an example
#3 Crazy Cousin John

In this example I am showing CCJ's pace lines
The red lines show the difference
if the EP is greater than the LP.
The blue lines show the difference if the LP is greater than the EP.

Crazy Cousin has a larger Early Pace
readouts than a Late Pace readout in
9 out of its 10 races shown,

Only in race # 6 has CCJ run with
a 2.2 larger LP readout than its EP readout
It ran a 83.2 Early and a 2.2 larger 85.4 late pace readout
so that is why you see a blue 2.2.

To review
The line shows early or late.
The number shows the difference between the EP and LP readouts ,
Red is Early
Blue is Late
The numbers reflect the difference between the two readouts
Attached Images

Last edited by Bill V.; 06-01-2014 at 08:31 PM.
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:41 PM   #3
Captain
Maiden

Smile Captain

A Ha! Thank you Bill! I am most thankful in two separate ways. First you gave me an answer to my question that was driving me mad. Second I have no memory of ever reading that explanation before. Whew- I thought I was caught in a loooong senior moment!
Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 01:34 PM   #4
Rivegauche610
AlwNW3X

See? Two years later this thread solved a mystery for me, too. Thanks for it.
Rivegauche610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 06:15 PM   #5
Tim Y
turf historian

the best

WITHOUT A DOUBT, this unique measure that the Sartin Methodology has of the e/l lead this handicapper to more wins than ANY other aspect in the entire armamentarium available.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:48 PM   #6
mick
Abiding Student

Armamentarium

armamentarium - a collection of resources available for a certain purpose.

What a great word! Can't wait to use it.

Illustrated Glossary
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:47 PM   #7
Tim Y
turf historian

Two of my favorites

I subscribe to A Word a Day so that my vocabulary will not shrink over time. Vocabulary is like a muscle: it takes exercise to keep it healthy.

First...Ever think that there SHOULD be words for various thing we encounter in our lives? PETRICHOR ....The smell that occurs directly after it starts to rain. Coined by two geologists who noted that certain oils leech out from rocks but soon that fragrance disappears with the dilution of all the rain water.

Ultracrepidarian....A handy word to use when talking to rookies
Old 07-01-2016, 09:42 AM   #8
mick
Abiding Student

Ultracrepidarian

Giving opinions beyond one's area of expertise. Excellent. As an RDSS beginner, may I never be guilty of that, especially in this cyber colony of the 'wagercapping' erudite.

Illustrated Glossary
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 02:22 PM   #9
delayjf
Grade 3

Quote:
WITHOUT A DOUBT, this unique measure that the Sartin Methodology has of the e/l lead this handicapper to more wins than ANY other aspect in the entire armamentarium available.
What do you look for in this graft that leads you to your winners - a horse with a contrarian pace running style or pace advantage early or late?
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 03:14 PM   #10
Tim Y
turf historian

speed

I set standards for what WON at each distance, at each track based upon the e/l number of INCOMING lines used.

That way I knew that a 6.0f at INNER AQU the range of winners was from +6 to +12, at Oaklawn it was lower (+2 to +8) etc. The numbers remained close all season and I could easily tell if there was any speed bias extant, by the higher numbers scoring on particular stretches. You have to save a bunch of them to make sure the range is accurate. The off track usually UPPED these number ranges around 25% higher.

One thing I always wanted to add to the Sartin programs was the ability to overlay the SPECIFIC e/l range for each distance, each track from the database I had gleaned over time (i.e make a different color across the bottom of the e/l range screen that was specific for the track you were following that day) to the bottom of that e/l graph. I just had to go to my database and recall the range. Rule of thumb: IF I had to decide between a more positive or negative e/l, I would usually default to the former.

The e/l is the weighted difference between the 2nd call and final fraction: the more positive means the former had much higher velocity than the latter...Turf contests should just about be all negative numbers (within reason) as the third fraction velocities most always are a bit faster than the 2nd call velocities.