Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Pace Makes the Race / TPR
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Pace Makes the Race / TPR Discussion, Examples, Lessons from Total Pace Ratings (TPR) aka 'Phase I' from the book 'Pace Makes the Race'

Old 07-18-2016, 02:10 PM   #1
kpmats10
AlwNW2X

Modern Track Class Adjustment

I think the version of the track classes in the original book is a little outdated, especially since a bunch aren't around anymore.

How would one go finding another way to manually adjust the difference in track classes?
kpmats10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 03:59 PM   #2
Mitch44
Grade 1

Sartin and his group tried all that and abandoned it as it wasn't profitable or consistent. His theory was that total pace or total energy was class, therefore there is no present day formula to do that anymore. You may find in the yellow manual but I'm not sure.
Tracks do have class but horses can ship to other tracks and win if properly placed.

Smart trainers know where to place their horses and at what level for different tracks. Their not going to let a good horse get away cheap or have their hard work go down the drain.
Track to track adjustment are best done by the 3 year best time between track or other adjustments that are included in pace and speed ratings. E.g. a 80 speed rating is equivalent to an 80 speed ratings at all tracks.
Mitch 44
Mitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 06:07 PM   #3
CEW
Grade 1

Track Class

Hi KP.......

I still use track class adjustments in my TPR program. Its probably not essential, but it is part of the TPR concept that Dick Schmidt and Tom Hambleton published. Let me know if you want more info on the subject.

Regards,

Chuck
CEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 08:48 PM   #4
Mitch44
Grade 1

kpmats10: For clarification of my previous post, don't take it that I don't believe in class because I most affirmatively do. What I'm saying is the "Doc" gave up trying to blend a specific class adjustment (by tracks)and pace adjustment into a specific formula. How much to weigh class verses pace never worked on any consistent basis.

If you use APV and the CR(class rating) & or CR+ in your handicapping this will account for what your seeking to do however they are separate formulas and presently not blended as you are asking. Track to track classes are adjusted by variants and speed ratings etc. to compensate for different tracks.
Mitch44
Mitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 09:29 PM   #5
DanBoals
Grade 1

There is this : https://www.americanturf.com/equalization/
DanBoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 11:11 PM   #6
kpmats10
AlwNW2X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch44 View Post
kpmats10: For clarification of my previous post, don't take it that I don't believe in class because I most affirmatively do. What I'm saying is the "Doc" gave up trying to blend a specific class adjustment (by tracks)and pace adjustment into a specific formula. How much to weigh class verses pace never worked on any consistent basis.

If you use APV and the CR(class rating) & or CR+ in your handicapping this will account for what your seeking to do however they are separate formulas and presently not blended as you are asking. Track to track classes are adjusted by variants and speed ratings etc. to compensate for different tracks.
Mitch44

I get what you're saying. I'm late to the Sartin party and trying to play catch up. Excited to be working with a member here to hopefully speed up the learning curve. Always welcome feedback and comments, yours is no different Mitch and greatly appreciate the time you, or anyone else, takes to respond to posts and questions.
kpmats10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 05:14 PM   #7
Mark
Grade 1

Class Track Adjustments

This is a rather nebulous area. It's the kind of thing that you hope you are right 50% of the time. It's a coin flip!
What you can do is keep records yourself. Note how shippers run at the track you play. Draw your own conclusions and over time you will be right a hell of alot more than 50%.
Best practice is not to use a track class adjustment with young lightly raced horses. The connections will rarely spend the money to ship on a lark. Generally, they are shipping because they feel they can get a major share of a bigger purse. Small barns with mediocre stock are not going to pick up and move to another track with larger purses if they can't make money. So shipping the occasional younger horse is most likely a one race experiment.

Older horses that tend to run consistently at one track or on a circuit of lower class tracks will rarely be competitive if they are not dominating in there current surroundings. Beware of Early horses and up close Pressers because they can seldom handle the faster paces at the better tracks.

Always remember, there is no MAGIC number. Attempts to turn racing into a chemistry problem are doomed to failure. What you can rely on in racing is a "Preponderance of Evidence". That's 1st person evidence, that's know thy track" evidence. Reliance on mass produced data is inconsistent at best and its inherent flaws will cost you money.
Good Luck!
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote