Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Saratoga Meetups > 2013
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

2013 Annual Pace and Cap Weekend - Celebrate Saratoga's 150th anniversary!

Old 08-16-2013, 10:44 AM   #41
barb craven
Grade 1

Interesting steeplechases to watch yesterday
Name:  small.jpg
Views: 840
Size:  34.6 KB
Old 08-16-2013, 12:42 PM   #42
glue4659
AlwNW2X

It certainly is Barb! Wonder if Aristotle played the horses? lol Please give Ted a message for me that I cannot make it 2day, but will catch you folks tomorrow! Good Luck 2day, but more importantly HAVE FUN!
glue4659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:30 PM   #43
Bill Lyster
Grade 1

Location: Escondido CA just 25 minutes from where the turf meets the surf - "...at Del Mar"
8/17/13 race 4:
I think the 7 is a sleeper. Its last equates to 142.4 and 148.8 for the 9 furlongs off its last; 5 works since last, 4 at 5 furlongs.

The 9 would be my 2nd choice and exacta mate.

Good luck to everyone live at Saratoga
Bill Lyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:16 PM   #44
Bill V.
The egg man

Race 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lyster View Post
8/17/13 race 4:
I think the 7 is a sleeper. Its last equates to 142.4 and 148.8 for the 9 furlongs off its last; 5 works since last, 4 at 5 furlongs.

The 9 would be my 2nd choice and exacta mate.

Good luck to everyone live at Saratoga
Good call on the 9 Bill

Did you do the Sword Dancer ? 1.5 Miles

Name:  BL 9.PNG
Views: 813
Size:  53.7 KB
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:06 PM   #45
Because I Can Jim
Grade 1

Yesterday, my wife and I drove the 3-1/2 to get to Saratoga. What an amazing, fun, happy place!!! It certainly is not like the trotter track near where I live.
It was great to meet Barb and Ted, Paul, Tom, Tom and a special thanks to Charlie O. and his wife Missy. They have "great" reserved seats and are very interesting people to talk to!
I didn't handicap the races and was more interested in seeing Saratoga than wagering.
We arrived just in time to see the 6th race going off and Liya, my wife - the great odds picker - liked the 3 horse and wouldn't you know, it was going off at 24-1, missed the win by a nose paying 15.80 to place. (Why is she the "great" odds maker? See the post "Would You Make This Bet - Why or Why Not? http://paceandcap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9330which ended up being a topic of conversation )
In the 8th race, she was hot for #3 again and this time it won by an exciting neck and paying 20.60. After the race was official, Liya turned to me and said, "See... when I don't make a bet on the race I win. The one time I put money on the race, I lose!" I told her that is why other people can win money. The "secret" is to pick the winner and then give money to someone else and have them make the bet. That is how you can pick the winner and make money too!!! LOL

At the workshop later that evening at NHLPlay, It was very interesting and informative to watch Ted, Charlie and Tom work the Alabama (9th) race and the 10th race on today's card - today being 8/17. They way they looked at the races was vastly different from the way I look at them They spend a lot of time discussing class in selecting pacelines with a small spattinging of trainer intent in order to decide which horses they thought would finish where in the race. Then once they had that down, they thought about where the money was going to be on which horses in order to determine their wagering strategies as opposed to simply dutching the best two to win. They pointed out that they are looking at graded stakes races where class and placement of horses plays a much more important part in a race as opposed to lower class tracks liek MNR or PEN. Highly interesting!
It just slapped me back to reality that there is so mouch more to learn. I liken it ot be playing college baseball and not even minor league ball as opposed to their playing in the pros. (Ok, Ok. Maybe not college ball! LOL - But, I am certainly no Master of the Universe either! LOL)

Anyway, my thanks and my misses thanks to them for making the day very enjoyable and well worth the long drive to spend a few hours with them. I recommend that those who can get to DMR next week, do so. And put it on your calendars for next year too. My wife, on the ride home, was already beginning to bug me about taking a few vacation days to stay up there next year - and she does not even handicap!

Jim
Because I Can Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:17 PM   #46
Bill Lyster
Grade 1

Location: Escondido CA just 25 minutes from where the turf meets the surf - "...at Del Mar"
I am writing during the running of the race. Did not handicap but quick view liked Big blue Kitten, FWIW
Old 08-17-2013, 05:19 PM   #47
Bill Lyster
Grade 1

Well, heck, why spend so much time capping the race when a quick view does just as good - LOL
Old 08-17-2013, 05:26 PM   #48
Because I Can Jim
Grade 1

IF I spend too much time listening to my wife, they will be my thoughts exactly - LOL
Because I Can Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:37 PM   #49
barb craven
Grade 1

A couple of pics from today. Young Tom Brosnan, Ted and Bill Tierney and a look at the walking ring before the Alabama where Al of Pace Advantage Toga Party fame kindly took me.
Name:  tom,ted,billsmall.jpg
Views: 804
Size:  154.5 KB
Name:  walkingringsmall.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  62.6 KB
probably more to come tomorrow.
It was such great pleasure to meet all the new people this year and renew old acquaintances.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:55 AM   #50
lsosa54
Grade 1

Nice to see the Pace N Cap guys at the "tent". Met a couple of new folks this year and sat next to Tom who absolutely killed it on the last day!

Ted, Barb: Great to see you guys again. I asked Chris to tell you bye as I had to run for my cab to the Amtrak since the tellers by us couldn't cash me out. Have no clue why so I had to go over to the paddock tellers on the way out.

I have to say it was fantastic to see Richie P and his better half once again. He looks great, full of life and energy! Like me, life doesn't leave him much handicapping time but he's already got that brain working on some new spot plays. The day before he arrived, I caught a $40 horse courtesy of Jimmy The Hat's mind so I always like telling him about those. I have to say, if that horses nose was any smaller, I would have been on the wrong end.

Beautiful weather, great company, a few days off from work, what's not to like?

Ted: Enjoy your visit with the San Diego crew at Del Mar. Wish I was with you but I can't get there until Christmas so I'll visit the inter track facility at some point.

Lou
lsosa54 is offline   Reply With Quote