Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > RDSS 2.2 (and previous versions)
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

RDSS 2.2 (and previous versions) Racing Decision Support System - The NEW Version 2.2

Old 03-13-2021, 03:17 AM   #391
dogkatcher
Grade 1

Changing my clock to EST worked, thanks Ted.
Old 04-29-2021, 06:35 PM   #392
The Pook
Grade 1

Ted,

Any clue on fixing this? Parallels just released their new virtual machine (VM) that runs on the new Mac with M1 chip. Had to download the most recent Windows build, designed to run using this chip.

Trying to get RDSS to work. Everything is as any other time as far as Windows goes. But RDSS won't load. It has the following error messages. I would think that as long as Windows 10 runs everything would be okay. But I guess not.

If there is some simple code change I could make that would be great. If not I'll go back to my smaller Intel based Mac.

I know you didn't write it for this environment. But like I say Windows 10 is up and running fine in it.

Thanks
Mike
Attached Images

The Pook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 06:55 PM   #393
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Mike, it's not related to Parallels or Mac. This happens to folks randomly when they manage to delete the database RDSS is trying to load at start up.

In that first image you show, the 'Connect to Adaptive Server Anywhere' window, click on the Database Tab to see the name of the database file RDSS is trying to connect to. (Or, you can slide that window aside and see the underlying RDSS 'Splash' screen, the Database file caption, which tells the same info.

The Database file named does not exist, for some reason (maybe you uninstalled a previous version of RDSS along with the database file?). RDSS2.2 is helpfully trying to maintain continuity by using the same database as your previous version.

Close out all those error messages (click through them until you can exit RDSS).

Then, simply make a copy of the NEW (empty) RDSS2.2 Database file found on c:\Rdss22\Data\data.db. Paste that copied file into the folder mentioned in the location for the database file RDSS cannot find (e.g. c:\rdss2.1\Data\). Now, you DO have the database file which was missing. If you had named that missing file something other than data.db, when you copy the fresh file, rename it to the proper name.

That should work to get started again. I recommend after you can successfully start RDSS2.2, use the Database Mgmt Tools (RDSS Desktop button) to Switch back to the NEW (empty) RDSS2.2 database file data.db on c:\rdss22\Data\ folder. This keeps everything in the same RDSS version folder, rather than having databases spread all over your computer from several different older version of RDSS.

FWIW, in the upcoming update, I've tried to simplify and bullet-proof the experience during RDSS startup when something unusual happens when trying to find the expected database file.

Let me know if that solves things.

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 07:57 PM   #394
The Pook
Grade 1

Okay thanks Ted, that did it. I was doing a completely fresh install on a new computer which was why I couldn't understand why it would have trouble finding its own database. Don't understand why making a new copy of the same thing with the same name would fix things but it did.

Now however I get the following message and have to keep resetting everything.

Also now that I am here what are the minimal files and folders I need to transfer from my old machine to be current to where I was.

Thanks for your help,
Mike
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2021, 02:23 PM   #395
Ted Craven
Grade 1

That should not happen more than once, after you have updated RDSS and Registered it.

Could you open the Configure File (button on Config screen) and search for a line reading:

[Version] Controls which RDSS version is active

Below that [Version] section line, there is a line which should read something like:
Version_date=2.2.2020.22 11/04/2020

Can you tell me what that Version_date line says? If it says as noted above, you should never get the Notice about a reset to your Tab Layouts (i.e. the current version is the same as the one you last used). If it is blank or something different, then something is preventing RDSS from updating its record of the last version used (and thus whether to prompt you that the current version is an update causing a reset to your Tab Layouts).

Can't say if it relates to Windows running in a Parallels virtual environment.

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 04-30-2021, 03:57 PM   #396
The Pook
Grade 1

I looked in the configure file and some sections including the version section were missing. I referenced the configure file on the old machine and updated the missing info by hand. It wouldn't let me save it directly because of permission issues so I made a copy and replaced it in the folder.

It works now, but if I change anything and hit the save button it won't save. It says it does but if I quit RDSS and go back in, it reverts to the last time I opened it.

I have no idea. But it works. Sections missing in the config file? Don't know.

Mike
Old 04-30-2021, 07:50 PM   #397
Ted Craven
Grade 1

In your c:\rdss22\Configure\ folder, do you see a sub-folder named 'Tab Definitions'? That's where the Tab Layout definitions are stored.

Try deleting that folder and its contents. When RDSS next restarts, not finding it, it will recreate it with default settings. Check the time stamp on the folder and the 2 files within it when you start RDSS. Make some Tab Layout changes and save them. Does this cause the time stamps on the Tab definition files to change (it should).

Close RDSS then re-open. Are the time stamps on those file still the same (unchanged from before), and are the the Tab Layout changes you made still persistent?

All the foregoing is what SHOULD happen. If something is not happening (changes to Tab Layout not saved and persisting to subsequent RDSS startups), or the Definition files not recreated if deleted, or were not created upon RDSS2.2 installation - then possibly Windows (inside the Mac Parallels environment) is not permitting RDSS to write to those files. If this is the case, some exploration of why is in order. This does not normally happen when running Windows natively. It's hard to understand why/what Parallels might be doing to interfere.

RDSS is supposed to create any missing Version_date setting in the Config file and initialize it to the current software version. It sounds like you are saying you do not observe this happening. In other words - you yourself had to manually add that [Version] section and Version_date setting. Correct? If so, something else unusual.

So far, I have no answers for why this happens on your Windows 10 running in Parallels on your Mac. I presume none of this happened in your previous Windows environment, using the same version of RDSS2.2. is that correct?

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 04-30-2021, 10:06 PM   #398
The Pook
Grade 1

I deleted the tab definitions folder. I restarted RDSS and closed it. There was a new Tab folder with a new date but it was empty.

I restarted it, and made a couple of changes. Same thing. The changes didn't take and reverted back to what I had.

Saving the config changes is not generating those two files even though it does create a folder. The only way for me to make config changes is to externally alter a copy of the config file and replace it.

I don't change these things much so it isn't a big deal.

There were no issues with Parallels on an Intel Mac. This new ARM Mac with the M1 chip could be causing something. I know Parallels was caught out last fall when Apple brought this new structure out. It took them 6 months to bring out the latest update 16.5 which is supposed to work on both Intel Macs and M1 Macs.

I had to download a new Windows disk Image from Microsoft research to get this to work. Could be this Windows 10 build that is suspect. I haven't found any other issues but I only use Windows to run RDSS anyway.

Maybe if you have time sometime it would be interesting to see what this strange issue is.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 04-30-2021, 10:20 PM   #399
Ted Craven
Grade 1

I'll look more closely at the Tab Layout Save Changes process and what the points of failure would have to be for those Definition files to NOT be saved.

It might require (at some future point) connecting to your computer to do some trouble-shooting. If possible.

Meanwhile, hope RDSS continues to be useful

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 05-21-2021, 03:52 PM   #400
gandalf380
Grade 1

Suggestion for tote board

I would find it helpful to have FTS marked on the toteboard screen. One could then tell at a glance which FTS are being bet.