Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 05-03-2015, 10:18 AM   #1
The Pook
Grade 1

Horse Racing Decline?

The Derby this year had record attendance. That means there were more people to see American Pharoah win than there were to see Secretariat win. Does anyone else not find that kind of remarkable in this day and age of seemingly continual bad news about the state of horse racing?

I for one find it refreshing. I don't see horse racing going anywhere but up. I was at the Queens Plate last year and was amazed at the festive crowd there of mostly young people. When you play online during the week there is rarely a shortage of tracks to play. Many are quite small with small pools but they are there. Granted most are supported by slots play but thats just the nature of gaming today. When the internet allows 90% of play offtrack tracks need to compensate somehow.

Things are by no means perfect. Drugs, killer competition from other forms of gambling, lack of mainstream media coverage, all conspire but considering how removed the horse now is from most peoples everyday conciousness, I think this sport is holding up well in its own little niche.

Pook
The Pook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 11:32 AM   #2
Bill V.
The egg man

Wink nice

They had a real nice crowd at simocast at Del Mar
Lots of young people, probably helps to have good California representation
plus 2 out of the last 3 Derby winners had cool names
CC and I'll Have Another .
Racing needs to give the people something ...
Like field of dreams .. they will come
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 01:45 PM   #3
CEW
Grade 1

Derby

To The Pook -

I agree totally. I've been at Churchill for 11 straight Derbies now. I get tired of reading Sports Illustrated's Tim Layden every year after the Derby where he inserts the same tired paragraph about the near death of racing or the need for such and such due to the dying sport. I'm not sure he is actually on the grounds for the race.

Two examples - On Friday for the KY Oaks they had 123,000 people there. I was there Thursday as well and it was packed.

The other example is from Tampa Bay Downs. I was there for 3 days the first week of February. On Thursday and Friday of that week, I could hardly find a parking place. Although a certain amount of that is due to the poker room, there were a ton of people there playing the races.

Take it easy!

Chuck
CEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 11:31 AM   #4
superfectadan
Maiden

I live near Cleveland. thistledown was pretty busy as well.
superfectadan is offline   Reply With Quote