Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Hat Check - How Can We Help You? > Matchup Discussion
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Matchup Discussion Matchup Discussion and Practice

Old 09-01-2015, 10:09 AM   #1
The Pook
Grade 1

Reality Bites (Keeping it Real Update)

July and August

Matching has stalled.
July ROI -23%.
August ROI +1%.

Hit rate dropped from 26% in May/June with some nice prices to 22% with no nice prices in July/August. That is in spite of, from the middle of July, playing more tracks and trying to focus on better spot plays.

Doubling of pools has stopped. The pool attained at the end of June obviously receded.

Over the four months the ROI is still a respectable 36% but matching has not done much for me lately.

I think I'm tired. I have been matching full time for 10 months. Time for a break.
I will still match on weekends in the Challenge but will take a break from it for a while otherwise.

Stay smooth,
Pook
The Pook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 02:11 PM   #2
raceman5
Grade 1

I

here you Pook i am fried also. I am seriously thinking of switching to the software. My pace line selection is very good so i think i would do well with it. Let the software do the work. Think i will wait till Ted has the new one up and running.

Bob
raceman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 03:04 PM   #3
PeteC
Grade 1

Hang in there Pook!

Hi Pook,

Here is a link to some comments from Richie for you....

http://www.paceandcap.com/forums/sho...7645#post37645

Your post hits close to home for me. My best success is usually in about 3 month increments. During that time span, overall, picks winning 30% or so. When I hold out to bet at 7-2 or higher, my win rate drops to low 20's or so, but with higher average mutual the profits are above 20%. That's until burnout, fatigue, poor focus set in and the profits erode.

The problem for me is that racing is my main pastime. Perhaps I enjoy it too much, to the point that the idea of taking a break doesn't sound so fun. So I know I try to push through poor streaks too often for a variety of reasons I'm sure. That's something I have yet to master and will have to overcome if I am ever going to make this a consistently profitable endeavor.

Taking a break while still having that nice ROI is a great thing! I'm sure you'll be fresh and ready to go soon enough!

All the best,

Pete
PeteC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 12:20 PM   #4
The Pook
Grade 1

Its good to know that two of the most experienced matchers and consistent contributors to the MC get burned out too.

Bob I don't know how you do it without some software help. I find RDSS makes the matching process easier. I too will now lean more heavily on help from the machine at least for a while. You should give it a shot even before Teds update.

Pete I am still involved because this is my main pastime too. Not the pure matching stuff though for now. Weekends yeah. Keep the MC going. I still think there is some value in us getting together once a week.

IMO the matching part of this site is the artistic side. It is where you learn to truly understand what is going on in a race which lends itself to individual artistic interpretation. And when they play out as envisioned you can't beat that feeling of satisfaction and success.

Hope to keep playing with both of you for many weekends to come,

Pook
Old 09-05-2015, 01:19 PM   #5
Capcondo
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteC View Post

Your post hits close to home for me. My best success is usually in about 3 month increments. During that time span, overall, picks winning 30% or so. When I hold out to bet at 7-2 or higher, my win rate drops to low 20's or so, but with higher average mutual the profits are above 20%. That's until burnout, fatigue, poor focus set in and the profits erode.

The problem for me is that racing is my main pastime. Perhaps I enjoy it too much, to the point that the idea of taking a break doesn't sound so fun. So I know I try to push through poor streaks too often for a variety of reasons I'm sure. That's something I have yet to master and will have to overcome if I am ever going to make this a consistently profitable endeavor.

Pete
Pete,

Your post hits me right now where I live. I have played way to long without a break. My results in the MC show it and my overall results show it as well. I'm like you. I love to match races with nothing but the form.

So, I have resolved to do the following:

Take a break except for the MC which I want to continue to support.
I won't return until I'm rested and excited about matching again.
When I return, I will NOT look back at any race I lose.

Good Matching,

Tim
Capcondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 01:53 PM   #6
The Pook
Grade 1

Man o Man. I don't believe it. We are all toasted. First me, then Raceman, Pete, Mike and now Tim are all Matched out. Thats pretty much the whole crew!

A break helps though. I haven't Matched in over a week until yesterday and I feel a little less stale at it. Weekends only for now.

Pook