Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > RDSS
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

RDSS Racing Decision Support System – The Modern Sartin Methodology

Old 07-27-2009, 12:20 AM   #1
For The Lead
Grade 1

Value of Modeling

I took the last 97 races ( it just worked out that way) at PEN and did some checking.

My #1 TPR horse won at a rate of 27% and returned $2.68 for each $2.00 wagered, an ROI of 34%. Not bad for single horse betting. And that is an ‘overall view’ of how PEN is playing since TPR was the best factor. Now if you are happy with that, you don’t need to do anything else. But, because it is my usual “MO”, I took a closer look, which means I broke it down further.

The first thing I did was look at “females” vs. “males”. Here’s what I found.
#1 TPR for females returned $2.45 for each $2.00 wagered, still not too bad, but not as good as the overall.
#1 TPR for males returned $2.90 for each $2.00 wagered. Now this is MUCH BETTER than the overall. But let’s take an even closer look.

Any maiden race ( maiden claiming or maiden special weight) returned $0.86 for each $2.00 wagered. A negative -57% ROI. WOW! I guess you wouldn’t want to bet those races, huh? There were 25 of these races, so let’s take them out and see what happens.

Now, 37 races for females that are not maidens returned $3.08, a +54% ROI and a 32% win rate.
Now, 35 races for males that are not maidens returned $3.55, a +77.5% ROI and a 31% win rate.
And all I did was a little research and found 25 races that were dragging down profits.

This is the power of breaking down models. And if you are playing a track with a long meet you can break them down even further, as an example, by distance, restrictions, etc. Doing so really helps the bottom line!

Now just in case you were wondering, the #1 TPR at MNR, over the same period of time, returned a PALTRY $ 1.22 for every $2.00 wagered. A negative ROI of -39%. Although there are good factors at MNR, as you can see, #1 TPR isn’t one of them.

As Tim Y said in a previous post, "each track has its' own footprint".
In my opinion, it's just a matter of how deep that footprint goes.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:59 AM   #2
mikesal57
Grade 1

Excellent FTL!!

This is what modeling is all about...if you have the patients and time..it will payoff in the long run..and for a track that is open all but 2 weeks of the year you can have a nice little profit. I'm sure you can break it down even further , maybe distance ,track condition , class etc. etc. Also there might be a certain category that gives you longshot plays too
The only question that I have is what paceline criteria do u use, best of last 3?

thxs
mike
Old 07-27-2009, 07:10 AM   #3
gl45
Grade 1

The modeling is based on pace lines selection. How sure we are that our selection will run based on the model at hand. Trying to model using the result chart, will give you better results.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:45 AM   #4
mikesal57
Grade 1

True Pino...
is there a way to incorporate the actual pace of the race into the model?

take for example
ARL 8.5 furs

you find out the best LPR rating is winning...

but the average pace of the race is something like 47.3----110.4

suppose you predict a pace of 48.1----112.1

the best LPR horse is no where in site now

How do we handle something like this?

mike
Old 07-27-2009, 08:05 AM   #5
tom
Grade 1

Quote:
As Tim Y said in a previous post, "each track has its' own footprint".
In my opinion, it's just a matter of how deep that footprint goes.
Looks like you stumbled onto Bigfoot!
Excellent use of a model!
Not only do you know where your money is coming from, you know where you need to do more work.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:06 PM   #6
For The Lead
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesal57 View Post
Excellent FTL!!

The only question that I have is what paceline criteria do u use, best of last 3?

thxs
mike
No, I do not use EXACTLY “best of last 3 distance/surface”. I guess the first thing I should tell you is, all my lines are computer generated. Naturally, since I wrote the program, it generates lines base on what I told the program to look for and what not to look for and, to me, CONSISTENCY is the key. The lines are ALWAYS generated the same EXACT way! Let me put it this way, here is what I DON’T do.
I don’t mix turf with dirt/poly
I don’t mix dirt/poly with turf
I don’t mix sprint with route
I don’t mix route with sprint
I don’t scan the speed ratings and take the horses lifetime best and use that line
I don’t use lines over 90 days old
I don’t use lines if the horse showed no “sign of life”.( i.e.- NOT 1st or 2nd at the first or second call or NOT in the money finish) I don’t want to use a line where the horse was out for exercise or was not competitive at some point in the race.

Having said all that and taking all that into consideration, what I use is the MOST RECENT line where the horse DID SHOW “signs of life” at the distance/surface it is running at today. It doesn’t necessarily have to be the horses’ BEST race.
So am I close to “best of last 3 distance/surface”? Sort of.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:03 PM   #7
Tim Y
turf historian

Modeling has never shown any differences in male/female md clm/MSW

Energy distribution is a physiological aspect of the animals
IT JUST IS without over-loading it with some artificial MAN-MADE categorizations.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:11 PM   #8
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Y View Post
How do you account for the stats described in post #1?

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Old 07-27-2009, 02:23 PM   #9
For The Lead
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Y View Post

Energy distribution is a physiological aspect of the animals
IT JUST IS without over-loading it with some artificial MAN-MADE categorizations.
In the case I posted here the males and females were pretty much equal. However, my findings show this is not always the case. In fact, many times they are considerably different.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:09 PM   #10
Tim Y
turf historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Craven View Post
How do you account for the stats described in post #1?

Ted
Apples Oranges as TPR is not energy distribution... NEVER was