View Single Post
Old 01-31-2009, 07:41 PM   #10
Ted Craven
Grade 1

I spent some time talking with Howard's wife Mary just now, bless her soul, she is such a sweet woman. It will be hard for her to adjust to a life without him after 62 years, but family is there, and a comfort. Howard had been having ongoing battles these past years with too many various ailments, and I guess I was just always surprised that each time I would call he would actually pick up the phone. It was always going to happen that one time the music would stop, and it has stopped now.

Howard was a very private person despite his public persona over the years, and they plan for a private service with no fanfare.

Howard was my mentor, a friend, and an inspiration in my love of horse racing and many aspects of my life. I will miss his sharp wit and his kindness - but he told me he said everything he had to say on his life's work, and that it was up to any individual to take what they could and do something with it.

Love to all his family, and thanks Doc for your gifts and for your life. It's been quite a ride!

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote