Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) > Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum General Handicapping Discussion

Old 01-04-2009, 07:31 PM   #1
horsestuff
AlwNW1X

i like turfway .. any other trax similar?

hi guys ... i like turfway ... any other tracks with similar surface, horses, fields, conditions? ... tia, mjm
horsestuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:23 PM   #2
Charlie D
Match Up Apprentice

Hi horsestuff

Depends how you define "similar surface" i suppose

Turfway is a synthetic surface called polytrack, the other tracks with polytrack surface are Arlington, Del mar and Keenland.

There are however, other synthetic tracks, these are

Golden Gate - Tapeta
Hollywood - Cushion
Santa Anita - Pro-Ride
Presque Isle - Tapeta

Feild size, quality, will vary depending on race type, prize money available at each track, but closest i think to what your looking for may be Arlington and Del Mar, if you fancy some better quality poly racing have look at Keenland

Hope this helps

Last edited by Charlie D; 01-04-2009 at 08:32 PM.
Charlie D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:04 PM   #3
horsestuff
AlwNW1X

thanks .. charlie

charlie.. thanx.... i DID know that the surface was poly...

what i was getting at is that at turfway... they are a mid range quality of horses... large fields... good paceline history... mostly 1 mile races.... on synth.. run all year... and throw off a bunch of sizable win mutuals....

i will take your advise and look at those tracks you mentioned... once i see some trends,.. i will share my results....

thanx for your input... mjm
Old 01-05-2009, 12:39 AM   #4
Tim Y
turf historian

Visit the Polytrack web site: there are at least three separate varieties making up those differing surfaces. The one at Woodbine looks a lot like what comes out of the vacuum cleaner and I can readily see why many of the outriders there where breathing masks. Arlington, Keeneland, Del Mar and Woodbine might NOT be the same as this oldest one."

From their website:"Depending on your need, you can choose from among our various Polytrack® surface blends-Polytrack Elite, Polytrack Premium or Polytrack Classic-to find one that is appropriate for you."

Also every source I have reviewed states that once it settles, it speeds up. That usually takes a year at least according to the Racing Post in an article about their new syenthetic at Great Leighs.

Last edited by Tim Y; 01-05-2009 at 12:49 AM.
Tim Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:50 AM   #5
Charlie D
Match Up Apprentice

Yes, Woodbine, look there too Horsestuff

BTW, why are you restricting your options by mid range horses a horse that wins say a 10 runner, 25,35k race at Turfway at 10-1, pays same as one that wins a 10 runner, 50, 75, 100k race at Keenland

Last edited by Charlie D; 01-05-2009 at 01:02 AM.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:50 AM   #6
Charlie D
Match Up Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie D View Post

BTW, why are you restricting your options by mid range horses a horse that wins say a 10 runner, 25,35k race at Turfway at 10-1, pays same as one that wins a 10 runner, 50, 75, 100k race at Keenland

Taking this further, why restrict race options. If win betting just pass the "chalky" looking and play the none "chalking" looking

Decent priced winners appear in ALL race conditions/shapes

Last edited by Charlie D; 01-05-2009 at 01:59 AM.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:41 AM   #7
Profiler8
Grade 1

Turfway is one of the best tracks for outsiders. There are so many short price horses there which finished outside the money in their last three starts and start as favorite, only because a big class drop.
Profiler8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:04 AM   #8
horsestuff
AlwNW1X

mid range horses ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie D View Post
Yes, Woodbine, look there too Horsestuff

thanx charlie.... i am not really restricting to mid range.... just that at turfway the class of the horse seems to be mid range.... i have been studying sartin since the early 90's off and on.. i am back on and started with turfway .. and i was just making an observation.... i thinks turfway is in kinda of a zone... of potential

in my action.. i narrow the field to 4 horses and then to 2 "picks".. if either pick is under 4/1 .. i pass .. otherwise i bet "flat" equal on each... i have passed many winners,... but 4/1 insures profit potential...

i would like to have 30 days of races prior to making any profit claims .. so i have a few more to go... let you know at a later date...

i have started to look for other tracks to duplicate my ROI .. so that i end up with about 4 or 5 tracks in my quiver....

mjm
Old 01-05-2009, 11:52 AM   #9
Charlie D
Match Up Apprentice

Horsestuff, Good Skill