Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Races of Interest
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

Races of Interest *Detailed* Discussion of Races – Screen shots, decisions, post-mortems

Old 10-29-2020, 05:35 PM   #1
Kisha
AlwNW3X

Lrl r8

Would someone look at LRL R8 from today? In picking contenders, I came up with 4,5,7,8,9. I primarily used the BL/BL screen and looked at EPR, LPR (which I guess are the new EP and SP) and FW. The 4 had 6-1-1. So I thought even with a poor EP, it could pick up and end up winning. 5 had 3-5-5 (good early); 7 had 1-2-2 (which I saw as not losing much ground); 8 had 2-3-6 (which I picked because of good early) and 9 had 4-4-4. I also looked at Total Energy. I picked the 4-7 to Win. What did I miss? Should overlays be played even if they are not on your contender list?

Kisha
Kisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 11:08 AM   #2
Mitch44
Grade 1

Hello Kisha,

What did I miss? Nothing was missed. Should overlays be played even if they are not on your contender list? Basically no, one would have to have a very good reason to play a horse deemed a non contender.

Every race is not gettable and we all lose races, a reason why good money management is so important, if you lose a race do a post mortem and if nothing is found than move on. No matter what program or procedure is used no one gets them all.

"looked at EPR, LPR (which I guess are the new EP and SP) and FW."
EPR and LPR are not the same as SP,FW etc. EPR and EP are essentially the same thing. LPR is nothing but 3rd Fraction. EPR, SP and FW are compounded Fractions which have proven more worthy that any single Fr. See the Glossary for their definitions and make up.

The horse that won this, #3 was off 103 days and not too many would play it for that reason, which is why it paid over $80 to win. I do play these types and have posted many results of such. I can't honestly say after the fact that I would have had this one as I did not handicap this race. In a NW2L and as a 3 yr. old it had an advantage over the 2,6 & 9 which were older.

Sartin recommendation for contenders was to use the top 5 Total Energy or TPR etc. He equated those and pace to supersede manmade class levels. Since that time he greatly improved and developed better compounded Factors such as BLBL and V/DC which far out perform TPR and Total Energy. He was constantly evolving. If alive today I'm sure he would have evolved away from this early teachings. One must be very careful about reading early Follow Up's.

In the early 1990's we were using the Speed Rating plus Variant to get contenders. The real problem with using any pace factors for contenders is that's its pace line selection dependent. Make a mistake on selecting a pace line and all your readouts (Factors) are skewed along with contenders. I don't recommend this especially for beginners. I consider myself very good at picking pace lines but do not use it for contenders etc.

Within the RDSS program there are other things that will better serve a newbie for getting true contenders such as CR , CR+ and the Morning Line odds from the track handicapper. At major tracks they do a very good job. The problem with the ML is too many fingers in the pie which results in an inconsistent procedure, particularity if you play multiple tracks. A player should use something that will have the winner in the top five at least 85% of the time.

What do I use? I use Bris Prime Power for my contenders. If a member of TwinSpires you can essentially get these for free, (normal cost is $3) they are free with any size bet made from your TwinSpires account. I don't use the Prime Power numbers within the RDSS program because they have proven to be inconsistent with the actual Bris Prime Power numbers, thus effecting contenders, Gaps etc. which have an effect on win %, Ex's and all types of bets made. How inaccurate are they ? Well their better than nothing and it would take a very exhausted study to determine rate. Bottom line is I don't believe in giving up any winning percentage going into a race. Knock Offs are just that, you get what you pay for.

BTW see my thread for Beginners.

Mitch44
Mitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 03:39 PM   #3
Lt1
Grade 1

Good response Mitch. Your beginners is a very good source of info not only for new folks but can be used as a refresher course for all our members.
Tim
Old 10-30-2020, 11:55 PM   #4
Kisha
AlwNW3X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch44 View Post
Hello Kisha,

What did I miss? Nothing was missed. Should overlays be played even if they are not on your contender list? Basically no, one would have to have a very good reason to play a horse deemed a non contender.

Every race is not gettable and we all lose races, a reason why good money management is so important, if you lose a race do a post mortem and if nothing is found than move on. No matter what program or procedure is used no one gets them all.

"looked at EPR, LPR (which I guess are the new EP and SP) and FW."
EPR and LPR are not the same as SP,FW etc. EPR and EP are essentially the same thing. LPR is nothing but 3rd Fraction. EPR, SP and FW are compounded Fractions which have proven more worthy that any single Fr. See the Glossary for their definitions and make up.

The horse that won this, #3 was off 103 days and not too many would play it for that reason, which is why it paid over $80 to win. I do play these types and have posted many results of such. I can't honestly say after the fact that I would have had this one as I did not handicap this race. In a NW2L and as a 3 yr. old it had an advantage over the 2,6 & 9 which were older.

Sartin recommendation for contenders was to use the top 5 Total Energy or TPR etc. He equated those and pace to supersede manmade class levels. Since that time he greatly improved and developed better compounded Factors such as BLBL and V/DC which far out perform TPR and Total Energy. He was constantly evolving. If alive today I'm sure he would have evolved away from this early teachings. One must be very careful about reading early Follow Up's.

In the early 1990's we were using the Speed Rating plus Variant to get contenders. The real problem with using any pace factors for contenders is that's its pace line selection dependent. Make a mistake on selecting a pace line and all your readouts (Factors) are skewed along with contenders. I don't recommend this especially for beginners. I consider myself very good at picking pace lines but do not use it for contenders etc.

Within the RDSS program there are other things that will better serve a newbie for getting true contenders such as CR , CR+ and the Morning Line odds from the track handicapper. At major tracks they do a very good job. The problem with the ML is too many fingers in the pie which results in an inconsistent procedure, particularity if you play multiple tracks. A player should use something that will have the winner in the top five at least 85% of the time.

What do I use? I use Bris Prime Power for my contenders. If a member of TwinSpires you can essentially get these for free, (normal cost is $3) they are free with any size bet made from your TwinSpires account. I don't use the Prime Power numbers within the RDSS program because they have proven to be inconsistent with the actual Bris Prime Power numbers, thus effecting contenders, Gaps etc. which have an effect on win %, Ex's and all types of bets made. How inaccurate are they ? Well their better than nothing and it would take a very exhausted study to determine rate. Bottom line is I don't believe in giving up any winning percentage going into a race. Knock Offs are just that, you get what you pay for.

BTW see my thread for Beginners.

Mitch44
Thank you Mitch for the explanation. This weekend I'll use VDC, CR, CR+, ML and Brisnet's Prime Power to select contenders. I'll put a pause on going through the early Follow Ups, and I'll search your Beginner's thread for help. I may have another update early next week and maybe more questions

Kisha
Kisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 09:54 AM   #5
rmath
Grade 1

Kisha

Mitch , I agree with you 100%.
The best place to start is at the true source.
Kisha follow Mitchs advice, and keep good records.
It will take a little time but none of us got to where we are today by taking short cuts.
I wish you well in your endeavor to become a successful handicapper.
Rmath
rmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 10:23 AM   #6
rdiam
Grade 1

This was a race for cripples: bottom of the barrel claimer for NW2 LIFETIME. The 3 horse took 7 tries to win a bottom of the barrel MAIDEN claimer, then was off 6 months before trying again at today's level. It was then scratched twice by the stewards and once at the gate before coming back for today's race. Ignoring the layoffs, it appears in form. Was it in form today? That would have to have been a guess. The connections didn't think so, with a negative jockey switch.

Bottom line, getting this horse required some very subjective decisions, which a computer program cannot do for you. Stay with Mitch44's recommendations. Good luck.

Richard
rdiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 11:59 AM   #7
MJS6916
Grade 1

here's the thread

Beginners and Refresher Course thread:

http://www.paceandcap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12316

this is worth reading through.

http://sartinmethodology.com/pubs/RD...d_Glossary.pdf
MJS6916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 05:10 PM   #8
Lt1
Grade 1

Thanks for digging out and posting that thread out Mike.
Tim
Old 11-01-2020, 05:14 AM   #9
Mitch44
Grade 1

Yes thanks much Mike for posting the thread.

Mitch44
Mitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote