Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 05-10-2020, 09:56 AM   #61
Mr.Pagine
Happy Punting

Godspeed

Bill was willing to teach anyone on this board, and was the nicest soul in the world. RIP Bill, you will be missed.
Mr.Pagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 02:31 PM   #62
barb craven
Grade 1

Bill was my friend. I want to share with you my first meeting with him. It was not in person, but it was personal.

It was the very first Saratoga meet and I couldn't go. I was at home, kind of moping, when the phone rang. It was Bill. He wanted me to know that he had heard a lot about me from Ted and that he wanted me to have some memories of that first meet, so had put together a goody bag for me with a T-shirt, Saratoga cap and other paraphanalia for Ted to bring home to me.

Then he asked me to hold the line for a minute as there was someone who wanted to say hello. He and Ted had arranged for Doc to be on another line to say hello to all who were at the meet.
How they managed it, I don't know, but the next voice I heard was that of Doc Sartin himself; actually talking to me!!

Over the years we talked a lot, messaged a lot and had good times together at Saratoga when possible. I've met his beautiful parents, his sister Lois and her husband. He was a kind, gentle soul - yes, but he was also incredibly funny. There a lot of stories I could share, but enough.

Bill will always be alive to me because I have all those memories. He will always be alive here too, because there are so many of you here who have your own memories.

With that in mind I have created a new thread "In Memory of Bill Varone", where I'm hoping there might be someone, or a few of you who have the time, patience and knowledge of the Sartin Methodology, not to step into Bill's shoes, but maybe to carry on his teachings to anyone who has the thirst to learn.

This was my first thought after reading through all the posts by you all, both before and after his passing.
I'm hoping that any one person or group of persons with different ideas of how to keep his legacy alive will give voice to them on the new thread and that together we can come up with some one thing or many things.

Barb
Old 05-11-2020, 02:38 PM   #63
Neil S.
Grade 1

I am so deeply saddened by hearing the news of the passing of one of my oldest racetrack friends. Bill and his "group" were friends of mine in the Meadowlands clubhouse and it was there that we all learned the Sartin methodology and shared our wins and losses together all the while learning the fine art of the methodology. There were many ups and downs but all of us shared a unique bond through our love of the methodology. As with all true methodologists we worked together and shared what we had learned with others.
Bill's inspiration to develop this website was a natural progression of those early days at the Big M. His love of teaching and learning and celebrating the successes of all of his colleagues attracted many new disciples to the methodology and the growth of Pace and Cap will continue to be insured under the measured oversight of Ted Craven who has carried on the spirit and purpose of the site.
My deepest sympathies go out to Bill's family and all of the people who have been touched by his warmth and his kind spirit. He dealt with so much adversity over the years but he fought hard up until the very end. I wish him eternal peace and most of all "Good Skill"

Love,

Neil
Neil S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 07:43 PM   #64
thelyingthief
Grade 2

The truest and best memories of a man are recalled in our actions.

RIP, old salt, we'll see you soon.

tlt
thelyingthief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 12:46 AM   #65
ignacio todoberto bernal
Grade 1

Send a message via Yahoo to ignacio todoberto bernal
R.I.P Bill.....my deepest condolonces to the family you left behind you are free now...

ignacio
ignacio todoberto bernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 08:50 AM   #66
tazzerbobo
AlwNW3X

Just a momentary thought about Bill. He was one of a kind and they broke the mold when he was created. I met him at our roundups at Saratoga a couple of times. His kindness and generosity was one that you felt immediately. His struggles are over and I hope he is now enjoying what he passed on to all of us in this world. See you at the "track in the sky" someday.
tazzerbobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 08:01 AM   #67
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Link to other thread with online Memorial Book and Obituary: http://paceandcap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12987

Online Memorial Site & Obituary: https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obit...varone-9173920

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 08:33 AM   #68
JimG
Grade 1

I just read about his passing this morning. Bill was one of the nicest people I ever "met" on the internet. He was always willing to help and had a great sense of humor. I will really miss him.

My condolences to his family and those that were close to him. Bill and I shared the love of a great movie. So I will close with...

Let it Ride,

Jim
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 09:12 AM   #69
Red Knave
Maiden

Really sad news. RIP Bill and condolences to his family and all his close friends.

I did meet him at Saratoga but never really got to know him. Reading all the posts in this thread and, of course, all over P&C (and even PA), one can't help but get a sense of how deeply he touched so many people.

Peace
RK
Red Knave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 12:16 PM   #70
Old Arkie Gal
Grade 1

God Bless Bill Varone. May his spiritual presence remain with us all. My condolences to his family and friends.
Pat
Old Arkie Gal is offline   Reply With Quote