Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Mark Forums Read
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 05-14-2020, 05:07 PM   #71
Jeebs
Grade 1

Just reading about Bill Varone right now, and I am saddened to hear this news. I am grateful that I had the opportunity to meet Bill two summers ago at The Desmond. He was a wonderful and knowledgeable person. I am grateful that he no longer suffers from his ailments, and that he is breaking bread with his higher power. I will always remember Bill as a spiritual individual.

Farewell my friend, and God bless.
Jeebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:25 AM   #72
reckless
Grade 1

I am saddened by this news. I spoke with Bill only 2-3 times over these many years but I appreciated his generosity toward others and his love of racing.

We also agreed that Parx --my home base-- was a hidden gem racetrack in finding and winning with many longer odds contenders.

RIP, Binder.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 07:54 AM   #73
wigopher
AlwNW1X

Oh no! He was so good at taking the time to explain the methodology.

Now he is picking winners with the greats. God speed and God bless him.
wigopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 07:34 PM   #74
atkinsrr
Grade 1

Bill, I am sending prayers your way hoping that you recover. soon. I'm so glad that we got to room together at Desmond last summer, that was very special for me. May GOD bless you and get this sickness turned around quickly.....Love you much......RANDY A.
atkinsrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:34 PM   #75
atkinsrr
Grade 1

I am sorry to hear about Bill's passing and am sorry for his family. He was always so kind and helpful to anyone who needed his help. I was so blessed to get to share a room with him at the Desmond when we were at Saratoga in 2019. GOD Bless YOU BILL...I'm sure that GOD has a special place for you .......RANDY ATKINS
atkinsrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 03:58 PM   #76
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Eulogy

Bill's funeral took place on May 15 in Oceanside California, near where he lived. Our own Bill Lyster managed to attend and convey our condolences and sense of how much Bill V was loved here.

Here is the eulogy read by Bill's brother-in-law Ed (looks like Tom Petty in the Saratoga photos). The Frost poem at the end is 'golden'!
Eulogy for Bill Varone

So I’ve got to say, Bill was dealt a hard hand in life. Luckily he was blessed with a family that loved him, understood him and took care of him. I know he understood this and he worked hard and struggled to be a worthwhile person and overcome all the hardships he encountered.

Whatever the reason, God’s got a plan, he had a hard life, lots of bad luck. Some things of his own making and some not. There were however, a many great things he accomplished despite this fact.

First, he was so proud of his two sons Alex and Ben. He kept the family football contest going to keep in touch each week. It was difficult for Bill to express affection, but he loved his sons very much.

His work ethic. He was a ridiculously hard worker and would literally work until he dropped. He had his own bindery and delivery business in NJ, then was a long distance trucker, and also earned his card to become a respected and beloved security guard.

Another characteristic: He was a great gift giver. He really thought about the person he was giving to. Example, he bought a tempur-pedic pillow for Lois because she mentioned her neck hurt once. He would spend everything he had to get just the right gift for someone. It was always a treat to open Bill’s gifts.

I understand he was Mischievous as a kid – he would often “photobomb” himself into pictures long before that was a term. I’m not surprised he had a great sense of humor. He was always seeing what adventures he could get into with his friends, some of which ended up in the emergency room (he fell out of a tree and into a frozen lake-not at the same time). He was also very good at sports, especially baseball.

Great sports mind: Eddie tells a story about when he was in little league. He was in a horrible slump. Bill pulled him aside and told him to look at the seams on the baseball, he killed it after that. Prop bets in the Super Bowl. He didn’t even sign up until halftime and still won.

Sense of humor: Bill’s mom and dad visited Egypt shortly before the collapse of government there in 2011. When newspapers showed pictures of the angry crowds, he asked Mom “what did you do over there?” He said they were revolting because Mom told them about her great life at the Renaissance Active Adult Community in NJ. He said they were holding up signs saying, “We want to live in Renaissance”.

He had a tough outer demeanor but was fragile inside. Once we invited him over for dinner and he said he would come after he finished his yoga class on the beach. We thought that was another one of his jokes making fun of California, but it was true. He enjoyed yoga and tried to live a much healthier lifestyle in San Diego. He loved the car restoration shows on TV and recently got his Dream car - a classic restored bright yellow 1973 Karmann Ghia convertible - quite an attention grabber. He rallied just a few days before he died so we could cruise the cruise the 101/PCH.

He was a Beatles trivia buff – Also enjoyed 60’s music, Bruce Springsteen, and the Philadelphia sound (ripped a CD for Ed when it was hard to do that).

He never gave himself enough credit for accomplishments (truck driver, developed his own website, running his business). He was very smart and very funny but didn’t think so himself.

I’ve mentioned a few of Bill’s interests and the fact he had a great sports IQ. His real love, his passion was thoroughbred horse racing. He used a methodology/computer application developed by Dr. Howard Sartin or “Doc” as he was known to his friends and followers. He became THE expert in this way of handicapping and developed a website, Pace and Cap, to honor, teach and be social in all things related to the program and to horseracing. He had visited “Doc” early on, flying from New Jersey to California as his first great adventure by himself out side of New Jersey. It was a life changing experience for him as Doc was a not only a mentor to him, but also helped him learn how to face life’s challenges in positive ways. The program has more to do than just horse racing, there are lessons in life there too. How life and people imitate Horse Racing.

I had occasion to attend with him the annual trip he took to the Saratoga racetrack. I saw firsthand, up close and personal what his friends thought of him. I felt like he was Elvis and the rest of us were part of his entourage. He was admired and respected by his friends. They all shared his love of horseracing. On his website there are pages and pages of testimonials and appreciation for Bill’s hard work, knowledge, and helpfulness. He was happy to live so close to Del Mar. Doc Sartin once said “Bill is a beautiful soul who sometimes wears his heart on his sleeve and just wants to help everyone.” Other posts and quotes from Pace and Cap include: “He was a gentle giant”, “there are givers and takers, he was a giver”, “you have touched so many lives”, “thank you for all you do”. Everyone who really knew him saw the good within him and his compassion and intellect.

As I said, he was wonderful to his friends. He would teach them, take care of them, look out for them, he was as the clichés goes: generous to a fault. Would give you the shirt off his back, would spend his last dollar to help someone who needed it more than he did.

If you were family it was a little more difficult. He had difficulty expressing affection, but you knew it was there- implied. I believe that with us he knew that our love was unconditional and we would always help him and be there for him.

So as for Mom and Dad – Bill was reunited with Mom for Mother’s Day this year. Now Mom is happy that he is there with her and she is showing him around and introducing him to all her friends. Bill wore a New Orleans Saints cap long after mom died because he liked to think of her in heaven with the actual saints. He enjoyed spending time with Dad (He called them the Odd Couple): They had their weekend ritual breakfast at Denny’s, then Del Mar racetrack. There was also football and family get-togethers. Dad came out to California to help take care of Bill, but they took care of each other. They took care of each other in more ways than one.

Finally, Bill’s brother and sister-in-law Joe and Sandy could not be here from NJ, but they sent their thoughts through a poem, which will be read by Bill’s niece (my daughter) Emily.

Nothing Gold Can Stay
by Robert Frost

Nature’s first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf’s a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

Name:  Bill V Grave Site.jpg
Views: 792
Size:  53.1 KB

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™

Last edited by Ted Craven; 05-26-2020 at 04:02 PM.
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 05:35 PM   #77
Mitch44
Grade 1

Thanks very much Bill Lister and Ted for sharing.

A very nice photo indeed, Bill climbed many a mountain and its very nice and fitting he rests upon a mountain overlooking a State he loved.

Mitch44
Mitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 07:03 PM   #78
darmar
Grade 1

Just so touching, thank you both for letting us share in Bill's family final moments.
Darryl
darmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 07:20 PM   #79
Lt1
Grade 1

Eds' eulogy was beautiful and right on the mark. Bill and Ted thanks for letting us share in the final tribute to a wonderful person. I am proud to have been among those he called a friend.
Tim
Old 05-26-2020, 09:29 PM   #80
Mr.Pagine
Happy Punting

Thanks for sharing

A very touching eulogy.
See you on the other side Bill V.
RIP - You will be missed.

Jon
Mr.Pagine is offline   Reply With Quote