|
|
|
|
|||||||
| Google Site Search | Get RDSSGet RDSS | Sartin Library | RDSS FAQs | Conduct | Register | Site FAQ | Members List | Today's Posts | Search |
| General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion |
![]() |
|
|
Thread Tools | Display Modes |
|
|
#1 |
|
turf historian
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,455
|
parallel education
When I was studying at the University, I discovered a great tool
arallel information. All our classes had assigned textbooks, but in NO case did that textbook relate all the concepts required of that course in a format that was easily understandable. Most were good butnot all of them. Since subsequent learning has taught me that teachers and students have to be on "the same page" as far as their teaching/learning styles are concerned, it is little wonder that Iencountered this problem. What to do? Find another author explainingthe same concept in a slightly different way and continue to search until your learning style matched the teaching style of that educator. I found this same idea in many issues of the Follow Up and later on my own. Howard Sartin introduced ideas of the I CHING: "Don't be too worried about the bad or too happy about the good for the one constant in the world is CHANGE." The suggestions of the books Chaos and Complexity fit right in to fill in the blanks of may of the handicapping theories presented as well. The greatest epiphany since that sound basis came form Malcolm Gladwell and his tremendous work U]BLINK[/U]. His mantra of "Don't think, blink" frees your implicit understanding of things not allowing it to get bogged down with too much extraneous detail. I tell everyone to buy and digest these concepts. Now I was just in the market for his newest work Outliers, but my very smart wife got it for my birthday and I am already 200 pages into this new fascinating work which looks at how success occurs. One of the great ideas he promotes (in Outliers) is the 10,000 hour rule which he applies to both Bill Gates and The Beatles. Without at least 10,000 hours of practice, neither of these musical and scientific geniuses could have ever made the impression they did. This book will help with your ongoing parallel education in applying the methodology....Worth the read and then some.
__________________
Albert Einstein:"The monotony and solitude of a quiet life stimulates the creative mind." |
|
|
|
![]() |
|
|
|