Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Get RDSS
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2009, 11:27 AM   #1
justin13892002
Grade 1
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 154
Help with the "method"

I am newer here to the pace and cap forum and have been intrigued by Doctor Sartins method. I have purchased all of Mr Sartin's books as well as Tom Brohamers books. I am curious as to if anybody can help me with some of my questions. Any help is appreciated.....


1.) I have read in Brohamers "MPH" the model on which pace-lines to select. I understand it but i have read around here other methods? My question is if anybody could possibly help me with the paceline selection.


2.) This is one I just cannot figure out. I was a physics minor and know how to calculate Acceleration and its negative form, deceleration. My main question dealing with this is how to set-up a deceleration graph or even how to calculate and use HORSES deceleration in regards to other horses ax/dx.



3.) I also know how to calculate the energy distribution and such, but the question regarding this is how to use it against other horses. The horses energy distribution always pertains to its style....



4.) Track Profiles and Brohamers Decision Model both work really well in helping decide what factors are hitting in certain situations. My last questions is again back to Deceleration. I understand this is a HUGE part of the game, and not many handicappers use it. My question is what the formula for calculating it is, and a more important question, how to use this between the contenders of the race.



Again any help is appreciated....


Thank You
justin13892002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 04:45 PM   #2
For The Lead
Grade 1
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin13892002 View Post
I am newer here to the pace and cap forum and have been intrigued by Doctor Sartins method. I have purchased all of Mr Sartin's books as well as Tom Brohamers books. I am curious as to if anybody can help me with some of my questions. Any help is appreciated.....


1.) I have read in Brohamers "MPH" the model on which pace-lines to select. I understand it but i have read around here other methods? My question is if anybody could possibly help me with the paceline selection.


2.) This is one I just cannot figure out. I was a physics minor and know how to calculate Acceleration and its negative form, deceleration. My main question dealing with this is how to set-up a deceleration graph or even how to calculate and use HORSES deceleration in regards to other horses ax/dx.



3.) I also know how to calculate the energy distribution and such, but the question regarding this is how to use it against other horses. The horses energy distribution always pertains to its style....



4.) Track Profiles and Brohamers Decision Model both work really well in helping decide what factors are hitting in certain situations. My last questions is again back to Deceleration. I understand this is a HUGE part of the game, and not many handicappers use it. My question is what the formula for calculating it is, and a more important question, how to use this between the contenders of the race.



Again any help is appreciated....


Thank You
Wirh regard to your question #1, I will misquote intentionally, but still make the point. Opinions on pace line selection are like ..."hearts"... everybody has one. Judging from your post, it appears you are an educated individual. So here is my advice.
Having already read that which you noted above, decide on the pace line selection method YOU feel is most useful to YOU. Judge YOUR pace line selection method from YOUR results. If YOU become unsatisfied with YOUR results, rethink YOUR method and make corrections based on YOUR OWN findings.
For The Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:27 PM   #3
justin13892002
Grade 1
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 154
Thanks for the reply!!!! I will take that and give it a shot and try and track the results. Thanks again!
justin13892002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 03:18 PM   #4
Bill V.
The egg man
 
Bill V.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Carlsbad, California
Posts: 10,005
Hello

Hello Justin

First welcome to Pace and Cap
Thank you for a very thoughtful post
Many of your questions and thoughts pertain to the early Sartin methodology
I am only what you might call a modern Sarin methodology user.
That is I have always used energy/quantam programs.As far a paceline
selection selection, I guess that is timeless you should look in the
paceandcap library Please check out the yellow manual and the Pace line
manual. The thing that will aways be steady about line selection is that
you pick lines consistantly and look for a line that best represents a horses ability in the last 3 races and shows the horses ability when it runs well
If and when you become more involved in what is called the modern Sartin Methodology The guidelines change to more of a method of picking
good lines from the last 3 races and either choosing one of these lines yourself . or letting the program choose the best line. If you read
follow Up 70 thru 88 this will be very clearly described. But above all
picking acelines is the key to winning with any aspect of the Sartin Methodology


Good Skill
Bill V
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 03:36 PM   #5
justin13892002
Grade 1
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 154
Thanks for the reply Bill. I will read through those particular parts and will see how well they work for me. Just one follow-up question. What is the difference between the Original and the Modern Methodology. Once again thanks for your replies!!!!



Regards,

Justin
justin13892002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:31 AM   #6
Tim Y
turf historian
 
Tim Y's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,455
Do yourself a BIG BIG favor and dismiss Brohamer's POSITIONAL analysis of running sytles as only about 5 to 8% of horses are strictly positional.

Energy distribution running styles, once the idea is mastered, have ti ALL over positional ones.
__________________
Albert Einstein:"The monotony and solitude of a quiet life stimulates the creative mind."
Tim Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:30 AM.