Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...)
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) Interactive Teaching & Learning - Race Conditions, Contenders, Pacelines, Advanced Concepts, Betting ...

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-01-2022, 05:45 PM   #1
DanBoals
Grade 1

Vector Graphs

Hey there,

I am reading the old Follow Ups and have made it up to Issue #63. Some of the writing and predictions and methods that have changed over the years are really neat to look at with 20/20 hindsight.

An example is that Jim Bradshaw got good at handicapping and the match up by making hundreds and hundreds of Vector Graphs on paper by hand as he was learning the methodology. I am not sure when the vector graphs were dropped, but would like to ask: Does anyone still use them?

I know in Synthesis, the software calculated and showed on screen the Vector Graph. For those that do not know, the data the graph shows is basically just the PoH / PoR of each horse at each of the 3 fractions, based on its chosen paceline. In the made by hand graphs, they were a half circle going from 0 degrees to 180 degrees.

As an example, if a horse wired the race in its paceline, its vector graph numbers would be 0.00 for F1, 0.00 for F2, and 0.00 and in the Synthesis software that would be displayed as a straight line across the screen. If the horse were deficient by 1 fps in F1 and 1 fps in F2 and then caught up to win in F3, its graph would show down -1.00 in F1, down -1.00 in F2 and +2.00 in F3. The idea of the graph is to visually show people how the horse ran in its paceline in comparison to the Pace of the Race, PoR.

It seems like this would be a good thing to look at if you were making a profile.

Has anyone used this before?

Did it help your handicapping / ROI at all?

Is there any way we could get the numbers back? I do not need the graph for modeling, but it would be interesting to see the F1, F2 and F3 numbers. It seems like the 3 numbers would fit on the PoR or PMTR/TPR screen.
DanBoals is offline   Reply With Quote