Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > RDSS Documentation -- All Versions
Get RDSS
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

RDSS Documentation -- All Versions Racing Decision Support System - Documentation

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2019, 10:27 PM   #1
Ted Craven
Grade 1
 
Ted Craven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 9,251
Tim, the fact that the current version runs fine on your Windows 7 computer, but on Win 8.1 and (for Mark, and now apparently others) not on Windows 10 - indicates that the Windows Security settings named 'SmartScreen' might be responsible for interruption of web access to TwinSpires, and thus causing a 'stalling/not responding' effect.

I have long since disabled SmartScreen on my Win 10 computers, and my older Windows Vista (pre-Windows 7) never had it and also works fine.

I am gathering some info for folks on how to disable SmartScreen in their Windows Security/Firewall/Defender settings and will post them here as soon as I can.

Meanwhile, anyone afflicted with sluggish or intermittent performance in RDSS V2.1.049.11 (current version) is welcomed to research disabling SmartScreen via Google, or browse around in their Windows Security Settings.

Ted
__________________

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 10:29 PM   #2
Ted Craven
Grade 1
 
Ted Craven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 9,251
FWIW, Mark has reported to me that adding the Tote_enabled=0 setting to the Config File (i.e. disabling tote access in RDSS) has significantly improved the 'not responding' and crashing effects. (At the price of no tote info ...)

Mark, if I got that wrong, kindly update us, thanks.

Ted
__________________

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:12 AM   #3
Segwin
Grade 1
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 624
Fatal Disk Error

Hello Ted,


I get this error fairly often when running RDSS - latest version. I have to task manager out of RDSS. I have a SSD which checks out fine and this error only pops up when using RDSS.



Attached is a screen shot.



Terry
__________________
Terry
Segwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 01:34 PM   #4
Bill Lyster
Grade 1
 
Bill Lyster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Escondido CA just 25 minutes from where the turf meets the surf - "...at Del Mar"
Posts: 2,498
I also get this many times a day.
Bill Lyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 05:28 PM   #5
Ted Craven
Grade 1
 
Ted Craven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 9,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt1 View Post
Sorry to be late to the party but I have many problems with program not responding and not getting tote board to work. I'm running windows 8.1. As an aside I ran the program on my old windows 7 computer and it worked fine. Again sorry for the late report but I thought the problem was already reported.
Tim

Tim, and Terry and Bill L -

Can I ask - did this stalling, or disk failing behaviour happen from the very beginning of using V2.1.049.11 (the current version) in mid-April. Or did it just start (or accelerate) the past week or so?

If the latter, it indicates something changed (again, since April) about one of the web links RDSS checks at Twinspires either for tote access or scratch updates. Or else, perhaps it indicates a change in default settings to Windows Security settings (Windows Defender, or SmartScreen) which is now imposing more strict access control over access to https://www.twinspires.com/...etc. I think this, because if the latest RDSS Version was working before, then it can only be this limited set of things which could change to cause the slowdown.

If it was ALWAYS the case with this current version, it does not explain why EVERYONE does not experience the same problem. I know that's not any of your concerns - but it is for the person troubleshooting and trying to solve it (me ).

Could anyone recently (or always) experiencing slowness or 'not responding' problems with the current version please first try to disable the tote system (again, see http://paceandcap.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=251) and if necessary also disable Windows SmartScreen (google how).

Your responses will help me troubleshoot and correct things as soon as I can.

Thank you!

Ted
__________________

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 05:30 PM   #6
Ted Craven
Grade 1
 
Ted Craven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 9,251
BTW, I am away until Monday for the Canada Day holiday weekend and will address all responses when I get back then.


Happy Canada Day to all who celebrate it!


Ted
__________________

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 06:27 PM   #7
tleusin
Grade 1
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 117
Have a joyous Canada Day. Think I will enjoy it by watching the Queens Cup tomorrow and coffee at Tim Hortons on Monday. Best I can do in eastern Kentucky. Could pull out my Don Cherry bobblehead and sing "Oh Canada" but with my voice the doll might slap me.
Truly appreciate my neighbor to the north and the Fete du Canada.
tleusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 06:59 PM   #8
Segwin
Grade 1
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Craven View Post
BTW, I am away until Monday for the Canada Day holiday weekend and will address all responses when I get back then.


Happy Canada Day to all who celebrate it!


Ted

Enjoy your holiday Ted.
__________________
Terry
Segwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 11:37 AM   #9
Bill Lyster
Grade 1
 
Bill Lyster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Escondido CA just 25 minutes from where the turf meets the surf - "...at Del Mar"
Posts: 2,498
I would say mid April would be the start, but moreso lately. Especially the 'not responding" issue. it occurs several times a day even with only one venue open.
Bill Lyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 12:54 PM   #10
Bill V.
The egg man
 
Bill V.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Carlsbad, California
Posts: 10,005
Mine is once

I just got 1 spinner yesterday and it was with many windows open


My dad has a terrible time. He gets them very often, but I must add he is still running Windows 7
On a computer that sat for a few years so updates were missed
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:39 PM.