Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) > Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum
Get RDSS
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum General Handicapping Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2009, 02:43 PM   #11
Ted Craven
Grade 1
 
Ted Craven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 9,251
Mike,

You have to follow a consistent method (first an analysis method, next a wager decision method) through thickets, beating some favourites, being beaten by other favourites. In this race, the #1 looked bad last race but finished 2nd, so that 'bad' looking race, in this, case was not evidence the horse could not compete. But I'm sure we could find plenty of other recent examples of horses that looked 'good' last race but who had reached their peak, and thus performed worse today.

If you have a demonstrably successful form cycle analysis as part of your tools, maybe you can zig and zag at the right times (i.e. notice when 2nd call energy is tailing off, horse is running positionally further back against successively slower paces) in terms of when a 'worse than previous' last line indicates a decline in 'current' fitness. But sometimes, it is just plain hard to judge fit versus not-fit from visual appearance.

Hence Sartin's exhortation to consider being more liberal in pace line selection (aka best of last 3, etc).

For me, after identifying contenders, the decision often revolves around what to do with the favourite. Favourites have a bulls-eye on their flank which flashes: 'I lose 63% - 67% of the time - consider betting against me!' Thus intrigued, I start to look for strength or weakness in that favourite (usually the top rated horse in many of my readouts): is it significantly better than the next horse (say, using your most impactful, or favourite, screens for today's surface and distance - for example, 2 BL points better than the next), is its dominance demonstrated by multiple lines, has it prepped well for today's race, etc. If its top figure status is modest (say, within 1 BL point of next, or, co-equal ranked V/DC, or half a Total Energy point different, or pretty close to the 2nd horse on TS+F3 for Spec and RDSS), I'm happy to bet against this horse if I can get about 5/2 net minimum on my other bets. If the favourite beats me, I'm also (learning to be) happy because my own records (and public stats) show me the favourite will fail soon enough,and I want to be there when it next does. If the favourite has superior numbers, gapped over the competition, I have to choose between holding my nose and still betting against it, according it the win position and seeking value in the Place or Exacta pools if a good Top 3 horse (preferably with some opposite-to-win-energy patterns) is let go at generous odds, or else pass. This last bit is still difficult for me to address consistently, and I have recently made all 3 of these responses when confronted with a good looking favourite (including being paid boxcars to bet against, missing out on boxcars when passing, and being beaten badly one day at Saratoga when chalk was overwhelming...)

I know the foregoing was not strictly related to the theme here of what to do about the last race, but it seemed somewhat relevant to the example race given.

Out of curiosity (using RDSS), 3 different paceline selection sets all point to about the same wager decision info (i.e. ignore the favourite #1 because in addition to no value, there are arguably/maybe/possibly some strikes against it or else it's not that much better than the next horses, and bet the #2 and #6 - OR PASS, depending on what net odds you need):

Last lines:

Name:  last.jpg
Views: 1190
Size:  40.9 KB

Best of last 3


Name:  bol3.jpg
Views: 1187
Size:  38.6 KB

Best of Last 3 (different lines)

Name:  bol3a.jpg
Views: 1197
Size:  40.9 KB


For the record, I think I would likely have either passed, or only bet this race with 60% of my win unit on the 3-1 #2 and 40% on the 5-1 #6, thus ensuring about 5/2 net from each, and I don't think there would be much value in an exacta box. Depends on how the odds were jumping around at 1 MTP.

Ted
__________________

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™

Last edited by Ted Craven; 09-21-2009 at 02:50 PM. Reason: clarity
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:39 AM   #12
mikesal57
Grade 1
 
mikesal57's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 3,952
thxs guys for your inputs...All of you had valid points !! and a lot of thinking too

I know I didn't put up the whole PP's , but none of the matcher here didn't ask "How will the race be run"
With the scratch of the 1a , which was the speed, there was no one but the 2 that could take the lead. Could the 1 catch him?? His only win in the last 2 years was on a off track...comparing routes the 1 likes slow times like 49+ 114+..the 2 could handle 47+ 111-112+ ...which made him a few lts in front

So at 3-1 I thought it was a steal

AD..that is some interesting stuff...TRB...with me, after seeing 2 bad races in a row..I wouldn't even consider going to the 3rd..have u hit any bombs with this recently?

mike
__________________
Never bet a favorite doing something for the first time-Harvey Pack
mikesal57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:17 AM   #13
gl45
Grade 1
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 878
Mike,
from your quote "after seeing 2 bad races in a row..I wouldn't even consider going to the 3rd.."
Based on the above, you wouldn't considered this horse a contender going back to his third race back.

Last edited by gl45; 08-02-2017 at 08:39 AM.
gl45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:07 PM   #14
alydar_ David
Grade 1
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesal57 View Post
AD..that is some interesting stuff...TRB...with me, after seeing 2 bad races in a row..I wouldn't even consider going to the 3rd..have u hit any bombs with this recently?

mike
I haven't hit anything recently, but that's beside the point.

It's a great pattern, Mike.
alydar_ David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:17 PM   #15
mikesal57
Grade 1
 
mikesal57's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 3,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by gl45 View Post
Mike,
from your quote "after seeing 2 bad races in a row..I wouldn't even consider going to the 3rd.."
Based on the above, you wouldn't considered this horse a contender going back to his third race back.
Hi Pino..OK ..now tell me how much did this one pay ??

This horse is a completely different situation...hes off a layoff and entering a new cycle...also he just just claimed...hes shown he can run good/winning race off a layoff.

Within the same cycle if I see 2 bad races in a row ..I'd toss....your above horse showed speed in last and the 2nd back held ground running to half mile..

I wouldnt consider this horse in this topic as bad.

mike
__________________
Never bet a favorite doing something for the first time-Harvey Pack
mikesal57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:50 PM   #16
gl45
Grade 1
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 878
paid $7.40 to place and was good for $60.80 ex
gl45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:29 PM   #17
mikesal57
Grade 1
 
mikesal57's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 3,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by gl45 View Post
paid $7.40 to place and was good for $60.80 ex
Whew..I thought u were going to say 40 bucks...

Did his 3rd race back put it in top tiers?
__________________
Never bet a favorite doing something for the first time-Harvey Pack

Last edited by mikesal57; 09-22-2009 at 05:33 PM.
mikesal57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:42 PM   #18
gl45
Grade 1
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 878
he would paid $16.60 to win
was in the top 4 contenders in my method, using line 3 or line 5.
gl45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:13 PM   #19
albatross
Grade 1
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 118
Mike

I agree with you him showing lead faster fraction would have told me the#2 was better.And his last race was definitly test race plus the spd fig inproved.So he also most likely sharper
albatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Importance of Late/Early Difference Graph lueylump Classic Sartin Programs - Support, Discussion 14 08-18-2016 08:41 PM
Race Analysis Confirmation using the VELOCITY SCREEN Bill Lyster RDSS 2 12-08-2011 01:19 AM
Jim Bradshaw's 5 Step Approach to learning the Matchup RichieP Hat Check - How Can We Help You? 1 05-25-2009 09:52 AM
Bread and Butter Race... lueylump RDSS 2 05-11-2009 05:05 PM
HOL 11-29-08 Race -3 (Fairly Straight Forward Race) partsnut Selections 3 11-29-2008 06:51 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:52 PM.