Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...)
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) Interactive Teaching & Learning - Race Conditions, Contenders, Pacelines, Advanced Concepts, Betting ...

Old 06-09-2016, 04:37 PM   #41
Bill V.
The egg man

black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoof 11 View Post
Hey Bill

I couldn’t tell you one way or another how accurate the Adjustments are, or the DTV, but it would be nice to see an example of why some find them inaccurate. I was fishing yesterday when i made that post, and was curious to see if someone would question the SR/DTV on a particular date.

For future reference Bill, can you include the header when you post a screenshot of a race, in the past you have left me scrambling to figure out what race you’re talking about, thanks in advance.
Hi Hoof I don't know why that is happening, I always try to show the race information but for some reason when I make the screen captures, my computer is not picking up that info and I just get a blank box

If I copy and paste it works like so,

Name:  horse 7 with bar.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  376.5 KB
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:05 PM   #42
Mitch44
Grade 1

Bill thanks for posting the PP for the # 7 horse. I didn't do this race and was only commenting on the paced line selection. Now that I've seen the # 7 PP I also would have used line #3 for the #7 and not a 5F line, goes with my "treat them all the same " also to preferably stay with in 1/2 F of todays distance and no more than 1 F of todays distance. Bill we agreed on the line of three horses that originally had 5 F lines in a 6.5 F race. We seem to be in sink Bill on our line selection.

As far as data, all sources get their data from Equibase. The difference lies in how they achieve or arrive at their daily track variant etc. The "Doc" worked very hard with TrackMaster to get the variant he deemed to be the most accurate. I trust his judgement and the other top teachers that worked for him on this achievement. I have no problem with TrackMaster data and each user can adjust it in RDSS to whatever % of the variant they want. I use the recommended settings (by Ted Craven). Nothing works 100%. I believe his recommended setting captures the highest percentage of winners and that is what this game is about.

There is a simple solution to this problem and that is to record the results of the same races with the adjustment and no adjustment. Find out for yourself, case closed.

Mitch44

Last edited by Mitch44; 06-09-2016 at 07:11 PM.
Mitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:59 PM   #43
stugots119
AlwNW3X

New to the forum and rdss. Trying to get a better understanding with choosing the correct line and pace per horse. In reference to the #7 above why wouldn't you choose the 4th line down which represents a better energy at the same distance compared to line #3? Also why do I get different winners from the segment screen compared to the BL/BL? Thank you for all your assistance.
stugots119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:51 AM   #44
Mitch44
Grade 1

stugots: I don't see anything wrong with using line 4th line.The only thing I can say bad about it is its another (almost) 30 days back. Either or in my opinion would be acceptable. Many horses like this can be gotten with more than one line.

The BLBL contains all most all of the proven important and valuable things in RDSS, it's a composite. The segment screen only depicts where the horse is at in each of the three fractions and it's moves. It does not represent the race as it unfolds as many think I.e. the second panel shows how the horse runs that fraction only, nor who is in the lead at the Second Call such as the match up would. One can also see this by looking at the feet per second fractions etc. Some can't see those moves through the fractions and the panels allow them to visualize how that horse runs much easier. Ditto with the 3rd FR as many take that as the order of finish. Not so. It shows how horses run that fraction not the finish, although horses that run good 3rd FR's are often in the money many times they may not win.

This is confusing to old timers because many used Throuamation (EXDC)program where the panels did depict how the race unfolded and the finish. In today's RDSS program the panel depicts move the horse made or didn't make within the segment of the race.
Mitch44

Last edited by Mitch44; 02-27-2017 at 09:54 AM.
Mitch44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:49 AM   #45
Bill V.
The egg man

Hi Stugots119

I used line 3 because its the most recent plus race. Its a plus race at a comparable distance surface and competition level.

I start with the last line then if the last line is not the line i just go down
till i get my line

Line 1 is out "O" Zero race
Line 2 is a non comparable distance
Line 3 is my line. It is a + race
Line 4 is a + line but it is against easier competition
Its a state bred restricted AL N2-L. The horses in these type races
have only won their maiden race and possibly also against state breds
Line 3 is against open company. A horse with multiple wins can run in this class race. Today's race is a Alw N1X which is an open race.

This comes from the pace line manual

Name:  Last.JPG
Views: 210
Size:  38.5 KB
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:41 PM   #46
Lt1
Grade 1

Since line 2 is non comparable I would look at both line 3 &4 and let the program make the choice. I would be careful when it comes to OC race ratings since I have seen enough times using BRIS pps where in fact they are not tougher then some state bred races and open claiming races with lower tags.. Entering 2 lines is no big deal since we can get rid of the lower ranked one. And as has been pointed out sometimes both those lines rank higher then the rest of the contenders making this horse a very solid contender.
Tim G
Old 02-27-2017, 02:08 PM   #47
stugots119
AlwNW3X

Thank you everyone for your help. What do you do when you have a horse that is running at a new distance? Do you take the best energy line for a recent race?
Old 02-27-2017, 03:25 PM   #48
Lt1
Grade 1

Hi Stu. Depends what type of dist change. For example if a sprinter is just changing to another sprint dist ie 5.5 to 6f or a router changing from 8 to 8,5 I take the best of the last 3 preceptor within 1 fur of todays race. If a sprinter is going to a route for the 1st time I prefer to use the best preceptor from the longest sprint in the last 3. I never use a 5 or 5,5 sprint in a route unless there is no other choice. I know the program adjust those lines however as Doc always said projecting is risky business so I want the least amount of adjustment. I check the %med against my record to see if the horse is too early to stretch out. For a router switching to a sprint for the 1st time I use the best of the last 3 preceptor but always look at the internals. In either case if the horse has a good line at that dist structure and its' form is ok I go back and use it.
Tim G
Old 03-01-2017, 09:07 AM   #49
stugots119
AlwNW3X

Thank you. One more question, how many days back do some of you go to accept a line.

Example if a race is being run today at 6 F and the horse ran its last race 20 days ago at 8.5 F and finished 4th, but its second line was 180 days ago at 6 F and finished 4th. Do you use the last line because it was the most recent or do you use the second line that was at the same distance as todays race?

Last edited by stugots119; 03-01-2017 at 09:16 AM.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:52 AM   #50
Jeebs
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stugots119 View Post
Thank you. One more question, how many days back do some of you go to accept a line.

Example if a race is being run today at 6 F and the horse ran its last race 20 days ago at 8.5 F and finished 4th, but its second line was 180 days ago at 6 F and finished 4th. Do you use the last line because it was the most recent or do you use the second line that was at the same distance as todays race?
It depends. In your example, Line 1 (the route race) is a non-comparable line. Ideally, you want to go back and find/use a comparable line. I would look at this horse's entire history and see how it does sprinting as well as analyze its previous E/L spreads and Total Energy. Look at the ASR and TV as well for clues. Some horses just don't scream "sprint" based on the E/L sticks and TE, and some horses may just be too slow a final time to factor. If you determine that this horse is capable of sprinting, I would either 1) go back to said comparable line or 2) project the route race to a sprint and see if the adjusted times make sense. You don't want to do anything that discredits a horse's performance if you feel that it could be a contender. Just my two cents. Others here are probably more qualified to answer that question than I!
Jeebs is offline   Reply With Quote