Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...)
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) Interactive Teaching & Learning - Race Conditions, Contenders, Pacelines, Advanced Concepts, Betting ...

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-11-2018, 02:02 PM   #1
Jeebs
Grade 1

My 20-race cycle (9/6-9/11)

Decided to hunker down and complete a 20-race cycle, and the results were not pretty:

Name:  20racecycle.png
Views: 695
Size:  75.4 KB

I used a best of last three comparable strategy, trying to avoid off track lines and projection/extraction whenever possible. Since some tracks are very tote sensitive at or near post time, the "off" odds were sometimes below my 5/2 minimum, which is beyond my control when trying to beat the bell (which in simulcast land on a computer, can sometimes be 30-60 seconds behind).

I tried avoiding very short fields whenever possible, but I found it tough to abide by that guideline. Also, the last two days have been water-logged, and while I probably should have avoided cycle play, I wanted to complete the cycle, thus, I took what Mother Nature gave me.

My initial observations: The "wagercapping" principle of hiding the top tier low odds horse (less than $7) did net 3 of "wins" from Tier 2, but nothing monumental, as my mutuels from high to low were 6-1, 7/2, and 2-1. When I did hide short odds top tier runners in races that I bet, they did not come back to win at high percentage. However, I had trouble connecting with the right horses, as I netted no "wins" in Tiers 1, 3, 4, and 5.

In retrospect, I probably should have passed more races this cycle, as the low odds runners that I hid and that got beat, did not open the race up to many price horses.

I am encouraged by the fact that the winner was within the top 5 tiers in 13 of 16 races bet, but frustrated that I had trouble connecting. The "losses" (horses outside my top 5 tiers) were minimal, so my contenders in general were good.

I'll digest this for a short while, review some FU's and really get better acquainted with Doc's 1998 tapes. In future, I will limit my cycles to "normal" tracks, and perhaps only to 1-2 tracks. Playing 9 different tracks within the cycle was overkill, and didn't really afford me a chance to find any particular bias or supporting corollary. Then again, playing off tracks the past two days didn't help either.
Jeebs is offline   Reply With Quote