Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...)
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) Interactive Teaching & Learning - Race Conditions, Contenders, Pacelines, Advanced Concepts, Betting ...

Old 03-15-2013, 02:30 PM   #1
Bill V.
The egg man

March 15

3 /15

I would like to wish every one a good day today
I hope you all find your betting decisions to be profitable
Today is Mach 15h Its a typical perfect sunny day here in San Diego - Technically San Marcos
I am about to head out to start wagering.
This day is very special to me.. Many years ago I had the privilege to finally make it out to Banning Ca. from my then home in New Jersey for a 3 day visit to meet and work races with Doc Sartin in his office.
We had been working races over the telephone for many months - this was in June of 2000 and back then about all I could do was send emails with my computer.

So almost all my instructions came in the form of me doing a race on my computer and Howard doing the same race on his and each of us explaining our screens over the phone
I had made arrangements with Mary Jr, to fly out in the early summer. Finally I had got enough money saved
( from my winnings at the track ) and the day came, I had arrived at Doc's office for my 10 am appointment.

It was a Wednesday I expected to jump into a car a drive to a track or off track facility and do races live, But instead for most of day 1 we talked.,
Doc's office was filled selves of books and pictures of famous people and many awards and framed testimonials, Doc sat behind a big desk, I sat up strait and tried my best to be honest and respectful. I was going to take notes but I was so intimidated
and nervous I just faced Howard and listened and learned
From were I sat Doc's computer was behind me on another desk
During our conversations he would get up and put up a race and ask me to select pacelines
Validator 1 had just come out so that is the program we used.
I remember the moment although I don't remember too much about the race itself. But one particular race is the one that I wish I had taken a valuable lesson from .

I do not remember the distance, nor the track the race was from, but I do remember my pace line selection. I chose a pace line which was the highest speed rating of the last 3 pacelines
Doc normally would just enter what ever line I selected and we would then make betting decisions based on those lines.
This time though when I had selected my line, Doc questioned my choice, "Bill, that line has a high speed figure
but...". He then switched from the adjusted screen to the original screen and said "look at the pace of the race "

The line I selected came from a race in which the POR at the second call was 43 and something
Doc told me to always watch out for races with POR too fast, he said that the program will adjust for those
lines but In this case the line was way above what the horse normally ran.
This is why it is so important to pick pacelines with thought and concentration
Please remember how the last paceline is so important. No matter what, always consider the last pace line.

Its the best tool we have to make a decision of the horses ability and where it is in its form cycle
and when or not a horse will improve off that line or, in my case to see if that line is a true representation
of what we will get today. If the last line has a valid excuse look at line 2 and so on.
Please always go and read or keep rereading the pace line manual
and consider doing all the exercises through the manual.
Picking inappropriate pace lines will win you big prices but It never got me to were I really wanted to be

It was not till I changed my mindset and finally listened and have learned
the best of the last 3 is not just the line with the highest speed figure ! This is why the Sartin Methodology says the BEST of the last three
One final note As I said I don't remember much about the race In Doc's office except
The race was from March 15
Today would have been my grandmothers 107th birthday
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:49 PM   #2
Blackrose
AlwNW2X

Thanks Bill for sharing that was awesome!
Blackrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:12 AM   #3
sureshotlink
Grade 1

Hi Bill,

You just described my first visit with Doc at the ripe old age of 21.Boy was I nervous!!.I brought along my wife for security and my wife and Mary jr( I know she hated being called that) hit it off right from the start. I must have sat there and picked pace lines for a good 3-4 hours. Doc was kind enough to buy lunch for all of us. It was kind of funny my wife ask me on the ride home if doc was some kind of mad scientist..lol...We both new right from the start doc was the real deal.

What a awesome day!!

Paul link
sureshotlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:26 AM   #4
pilot
Grade 2

Bill, I enjoyed reading your post.

Wayne
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:11 PM   #5
atkinsrr
Grade 1

Thx for the post Bill...sure wish I was in sunny Cal...this cold Indiana weather is killin'me
atkinsrr is offline   Reply With Quote