Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > RDSS > RDSS Beta Testers Questions & Answers - CLOSED
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

RDSS Beta Testers Questions & Answers - CLOSED Please make new posts in the main RDSS Forum

Old 02-25-2007, 01:46 PM   #1
Ted Craven
Grade 1

RDSS Beta Testers Questions & Answers

Welcome to a dozen new RDSS testers, and thank you for agreeing to help me test the software! (Note: if you thought you were in the testing group but haven't received the software by Sunday evening, please contact me).

This Topic is for Beta Testers to ask questions about how RDSS works, navigational issues, where to find things, install problems, etc. Also suggestions and feedback, including screenshots if possible to help illustrate your points. Other RDSS users please feel free to offer advice where you feel qualified!

Please post any reports of bugs or other irritating behaviour (by the software :~) in the RDSS Bug Reports Topic.

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™

Last edited by Ted Craven; 02-25-2007 at 01:48 PM.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:09 AM   #2
Ted Craven
Grade 1

This from one tester:

I ... noticed that a lot of the screens I see posted on the BB are not present in this version of your software that I am testing. I was wondering if this is an older revision than that being used by some others on the board?

Answer: No, the screen shots posted previously are the older version. I have continued to tinker with and optimize (IMHO) the layouts, and what you have in V0.96.0 is the latest.

For example, I renamed Perceptor to Primary, which is what it is, albeit measured to show the fine-grained differences between ranks.

Also, I renamed the Match Up screen to Segments and I will work on this further. It just seemed to me that calling it Match Up, despite its heritage from Val and Spec, conflicted with what we are learning in these modern times about Jim Bradshaw's Match Up methods. The Incremental Match Up Graph and Matchup Showing Computed Beaten Lengths, while valuable (or interesting) readouts, are showing velocities (or their ranks) at various race segments, so I thought I would commence calling a spade a spade, while striving to continue to support Matching activities as Jim and Richie are teaching.

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 02-26-2007, 10:03 AM   #3
delmarscott2004
delmarscott2004

Rdss

Ted
Up to this point I have not download the sofeware , question ,RDSS does it have a screen or is it combined on a screen showing Pace Of The Race and Pace Of The Horse at different points in a race / paceline selected ? .

Thank you ........ Scott
Old 02-26-2007, 10:40 AM   #4
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarscott2004 View Post
Ted
Up to this point I have not download the sofeware , question ,RDSS does it have a screen or is it combined on a screen showing Pace Of The Race and Pace Of The Horse at different points in a race / paceline selected ? .

Thank you ........ Scott
Vanoy,

Though the POR/POH velocities are obviously 'under the hood', there is not a screen at the moment which shows the both together, or the relationship, like Quadrater did. The closest screen in Speculator is the Long Shot Detector, which is still absent in RDSS but planned. If someone can make a case for more info than what the Spec LSD readout shows, I can add the data. I am however, cautious about creating data-overload, so I'd appreciate some serious feedback.

yours,

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 02-27-2007, 06:19 PM   #5
Rxlawyer
Grade 1

Ted:

I for one do not believe that it is possible to have too much information. What I think is necessary is to have all available information that is USER FRIENDLY. I want as much information as possible - just in a way that I can reasonably get to it and use it. What gives me an edge in contests is my ability to integrate all of the information in a useful way.

I liked the Long Shot Detector in Spec and would love to see it in RDSS. It is a resonable source of long priced horses.

Gary
Old 02-27-2007, 07:09 PM   #6
JimG
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rxlawyer View Post
Ted:

I for one do not believe that it is possible to have too much information. What I think is necessary is to have all available information that is USER FRIENDLY. I want as much information as possible - just in a way that I can reasonably get to it and use it. What gives me an edge in contests is my ability to integrate all of the information in a useful way.

Gary
I could not agree more with what Gary just said. As a contest player myself, the more information that I can retrieve at a moments notice, the better.

Jim
Old 02-27-2007, 07:18 PM   #7
tompkins
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rxlawyer View Post
Ted:

I for one do not believe that it is possible to have too much information. What I think is necessary is to have all available
Read the best seller Blink by Malcolm Gladwell and you will find example after example, some even in the gambling arena, that show diminishing returns over a certain threshold.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:26 PM   #8
noddub62
Budman

Ditto Mr. Tompkins post. I recall a reprint in one of the Follow Ups that Doc had included, I believe from the FBI or CIA or some such. Don't recall which FU but at least for me, more than three reliable bits of info is all I need or confuse sets in.

Bud
Old 02-27-2007, 09:01 PM   #9
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Re information density vs simplicity: thank you all. Noted.

Ted

R
DSS -
Old 02-27-2007, 09:33 PM   #10
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Using all 3 panels on a Past Performance Screen

I just wanted to encourage folks whose video adapter is capable of 1280x1024 screen resolution (whether or not you use it currently) to consider trying it out. With more vertical screen real estate, there's room for an Analysis Tab set on each Past Performance screen. Any pacelines you select are added and ranked in real-time in that bottom screen. It's an interesting experience flipping through horses, trying out 1,2,3 pacelines per horse, while looking at BL/BL or TPR+E/L for all horses and seeing that the horse either dominates off several lines, or can't rank 5th or 6th off any line. Eliminates horses on the spot.

For some, 1024x768 screen resolution is the maximum, but others may find you can use a higher setting. Here's an example, showing the winner of today's 2nd at Tampa Bay.

Ted
Attached Images

R
DSS -