Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 06-04-2015, 12:13 PM   #1
Latekick
Grade 1

Route lines

Whats you guys opinion on using a route line in a sprint or a sprint line in a route? Do you use them when you absolutely have too? Or do you just toss the horse because it has no recent sprint lines?
Latekick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 01:44 PM   #2
Bill Lyster
Grade 1

Location: Escondido CA just 25 minutes from where the turf meets the surf - "...at Del Mar"
I use them only when nothing else makes sense. If the horse has sprint lines, note running style. will the best sprint be competitive in today's race? If not its probably a toss. Be aware of one turn routes where most of the race is run on a straightaway. Usually the fractions in these one turn miles should not be adjusted per the Methodology guidelines.

The methodology guidelines usually want the early fraction in the route after adjustments, if required, to be higher by about 3 EP points than the rest of the field. This might get moderated a little bit, if the running style of the horse is opposite of what the race shape is today.

If you find that the route TPR is greater than the sprinters in the field the horse is probably good enuf to keep in the field of contenders. Remember early sprinters usually cancel out early routers that are truly early and set up for an OTE finish.
Bill Lyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 05:22 PM   #3
Latekick
Grade 1

As i have been reading these past few days both through this site, the follow ups, and old messages i have from people off of this site, i noticed that pace lines have always been the downfall of players who cannot consistently make a profit.
I was wondering, and anyone is welcome to share their input here, what type of line selection do you use? Are you the player that will used best of last 3 comparable no matter what, or, are you the last line at comparable UNLESS theres a valid reason to go back one line further? I am just opening this up to get peoples opinion and what they have found works for them
Old 06-26-2015, 07:06 PM   #4
MikeB
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latekick View Post
I was wondering, and anyone is welcome to share their input here, what type of line selection do you use? Are you the player that will used best of last 3 comparable no matter what, or, are you the last line at comparable UNLESS theres a valid reason to go back one line further? I am just opening this up to get peoples opinion and what they have found works for them
I always look first at the last line as an indication the of horse's current form. I then look at all lines to see if the last line is indicative of the horse's ability and its likely performance today. If the horse looks generally capable of improving over its last race, I use the line most representative of its probable performance today.

The Match Up methodology has greatly improved my line selection. If you haven't spent some time in that forum, I recommend it. I mean the original Hat Check forum, the one that is closed for posting now. Start with the first thread about the 5 step approach, and then look for a number of threads about "The Mind's Eye".
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:20 PM   #5
Latekick
Grade 1

I do respect the teachings of The Hat and all who follow his methods religiously. But i, personally, have evolved more into a RDSS2 full user and do not rely on the Hats Match up methods to get my lines and selections. I mainly use best line in the last 3 races at a comparable distance and surface.
thanks for your input, i am interested to see how everyone goes about selecting their lines
Old 06-26-2015, 09:01 PM   #6
Bill V.
The egg man

line 1

Line selection.
First I check the tpr of every horse using the last line
I right down the top 5 horses.
Then I look to see their speed rating range
After many years. I have come to see that based on the tracks
I play, the normal plus race speed rating range is between
78- 82 (adjusted ).
I then start at the bottom and work my way up for each horses past races
I look at the speed ratings the horse earns
in those plus races. I then start at the last line first and ask
four questions, Is this line comparable, is this speed rating
recent, is this line less than 7.5 beaten lengths? ' and was against fast or slow
pace of race . I go down till I find a line in the last 3 sometimes to line 4
till I find a line with all yes answers.
If I have too many issues selecting lines I just pass the race.
I pass way more races than I bet. I don't do multiple race bets like pick 3 4 or 5
and I don't play in contest . So my way probably is wrong for today's smart folks.
Bill V. is offline   Reply With Quote