Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) > Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum General Handicapping Discussion

Old 07-29-2009, 07:59 AM   #11
jwolpert
Racing Form Only

Pace Computer 3.0 by Randy Kovacs

The program is sold by American Turf Monthly.

http://www.americanturf.com/scripts/...ame=cwinsports
jwolpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 11:21 AM   #12
reckless
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Y View Post
Ray Talbout was at the heart of my understanding of pace
hello Tim:

Ray Talbout was the true pace handicapping guru and Founding Father. Typical of our game and industry, his pace theories was literally decades ahead of the pack.

Ray was also the heart and light to my discovery of pace handicapping that would lead me to Howard Sartin and my purchase of Phase III many, many years ago.

Tim... If you have an extra copy of that ATM issue you uploaded with your post, with Linda's Chief on the cover, would you consider selling it to me ??

Linda's Chief is one of my all-time favorite race horses. He was also one of the greats from the absolutely greatest crop of horses ever produced in America, the crop of 1970.

I consider Linda's Chief 'underated' because of that fantastic crop of contemporaries, headed by Secretariat and including greats such as Forego, Allez France, Mr. Prospector, Ancient Title, Stop the Music, Royal Glint, Dahlia and many others. He was a half-million dollar earner at a time when it still took some real running to earn that amount.

I was at the track the day he broke his maiden, first time out with Braulio Baeza in the saddle. I am pretty sure, but not 100% positive, that the great Al Scotti was the trainer at the time.

Scotti and Baeza, I recall, both won the two 'baby' races carded that day in 1972.

Linda's Chief would later be the only horse ever to be the postime favorite in a race over Secretariat that August in Saratoga (the Saratoga Special, I believe).

Thanks again Tim, and thanks to Ray Taulbot.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:43 PM   #13
Tim Y
turf historian

Send me ten and it is yours ...Postage from Vancouver is extra.

Saw this one JUST hold on in the California Derby at GGF with Baeza doing everything he could to drag a few more feet our of this one..SAD the way it ended: Sold for almost 2 millon broke his back in the gate at Hollywood.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:13 PM   #14
reckless
Grade 1

you gotta deal

Yeah, I think Aaron Jones, an Oregon lumberman, owned Linda's Chief at the tragic end. A fellow named Hellman may have had him earlier; again not 100 % sure.

Tell me via PM where to send it.

On Ray Taulbot ... wouldn't you think with his emphasis on the race's 4 fur or 6 fur pace call, plus the pace of the race importance, he was the one that should be hailed as the Father of The Match Up, and Father of Pizzolla's PBS or Fulcrum theory??

Not to take anything away from Pizzolla, Sartin or Bradshaw but Taulbot wrote about this years prior to the Method at a time when Howard was advising Bobo Olson, Jim Bradshaw was betting every horse in the race just to cash a ticket, and Mike probably was just a gleam in his mother's eye.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:01 PM   #15
Tim Y
turf historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless View Post
Y

On Ray Taulbot ... wouldn't you think with his emphasis on the race's 4 fur or 6 fur pace call, plus the pace of the race importance, he was the one that should be hailed as the Father of The Match Up, and Father of Pizzolla's PBS or Fulcrum theory??

Not to take anything away from Pizzolla, Sartin or Bradshaw but Taulbot wrote about this years prior to the Method at a time when Howard was advising Bobo Olson, Jim Bradshaw was betting every horse in the race just to cash a ticket, and Mike probably was just a gleam in his mother's eye.
He did predate all of them and was the basis for MY understanding of pace.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:20 PM   #16
TheProgrammer
AlwNW3X

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolpert View Post
The program is sold by American Turf Monthly.

http://www.americanturf.com/scripts/...ame=cwinsports
Hi all, I never check here as much as I should. Correct, I wrote the software back in '97, ATM still sells it but I no longer support it (technical support that is, the software is good).

I also wrote a program for Pro Rated Longshots in '99 (http://www.americanturf.com/scripts/...me=WinCommerce)

Both programs had the same style as AODDS98 and The Match Up as to make it easy for users to transition (focus on learning the software, not how to navigate it). Unlike WorkHorse Pro that required a completely different navigation.

Anyway, thought I would chime in. Note, I have no rights to distribute ATM's software and as I said I no longer provide technical support for them.

RK