Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 02-08-2017, 10:15 PM   #11
Kris R
AlwNW1X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Craven View Post
Welcome Kris R to the Sartin Methodology! Sounds like you've hit the ground running with some good input so far.

All the best in adapting these ideas to Philippines racing!

Ted
Thanks a lot Ted..

I love to work around with numbers, am sure with your guidance and help I can find a way to use the Methodology here in the Philippines.
Kris R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 10:26 PM   #12
Kris R
AlwNW1X

@mowens33

Thanks for the files.. I am working on it now and making a spreadsheet that I can use.. with regards to the TT how did you compute it?
Old 02-08-2017, 10:28 PM   #13
Kris R
AlwNW1X

Thanks for the files.. I'll work start on it..
Old 02-08-2017, 10:31 PM   #14
MikeB
Grade 1

Kris

Welcome. I have not read all of your posts in detail yet, but a couple of observations come immediately to mind.

Lack of beaten lengths is definitely a problem. Video replays of races at many tracks in the US are available on the internet. Do you have access to live video or replays? Even your roughest guess at beaten lengths would give you a big advantage over other bettors.

Also, I would recommend that you look into the Match-Up, an alternative Sartin methodology that is more qualitative than most other approaches. The Match-Up has its own forum here on this web site. The Match-Up together with any kind of approximation of beaten lengths would give you a great advantage.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 10:46 PM   #15
Kris R
AlwNW1X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Craven View Post
Kris, thinking about similarity to Hong Kong Racing Form, HK has very detailed data available for sale which includes all the sectional times you need - though I hear that data is pricey, and is NOT the normal simple Form available to the common bettor.

Similarly - I wonder if either the Philippine Racing Commission or private data suppliers provide detailed sectional data for Philippine racing at a price?

Alternately, since you're in the same time zone and MANY Hong Kong betting syndicates are based in the Philippines - perhaps you'd like the challenge of biting the bullet and working out how to apply Methodology practices in Hong Kong, where at least there IS the data you need AND a great racing product!

If so, you'd not be the first (or tenth) person interested in adapting what we do to Hong Kong. I'd love to adapt RDSS one day to Hong Kong, but I think I'll point the RDSS tote analysis module there first ...

Just speculating!

Ted
I'll check it out.. crossing my fingers now..
Old 02-08-2017, 10:48 PM   #16
Kris R
AlwNW1X

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
Kris

Welcome. I have not read all of your posts in detail yet, but a couple of observations come immediately to mind.

Lack of beaten lengths is definitely a problem. Video replays of races at many tracks in the US are available on the internet. Do you have access to live video or replays? Even your roughest guess at beaten lengths would give you a big advantage over other bettors.

Also, I would recommend that you look into the Match-Up, an alternative Sartin methodology that is more qualitative than most other approaches. The Match-Up has its own forum here on this web site. The Match-Up together with any kind of approximation of beaten lengths would give you a great advantage.
Fantastic! thanks MikeB
Old 02-09-2017, 12:11 AM   #17
Tim Y
turf historian

I used to get the Hong Kong Form in Vancouver that had 5 separate photos of each race's call 1/4,1/2, 3/4 finish (for sprints) etc.

By painstakingly working out the physical beaten lengths per each race fractional times for each could be achieved but it was thankless tedium to get that data. A LOT of work to get inconsistent data.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:34 AM   #18
DontSayDont
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris R View Post
@mowens33

Thanks for the files.. I am working on it now and making a spreadsheet that I can use.. with regards to the TT how did you compute it?
Using mowens spreadsheet: TT (Turn Time) is the Pace of Horse 2nd Call minus the Pace of Horse 1st Call.

Example: 2C 48.0, 1C 23.0 Subtract 23.0 from 48.0 and get 25.0 for the TT.

Sprints: 1C 2 furlongs and 2C 4 furlongs
Routes: 1C 4 furlongs and 2C 6 furlongs

Many players don't recommend using 4.5 or 5 furlong races or races over 12 furlongs for pace handicapping.

Ray
DontSayDont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:45 AM   #19
mowens33
Grade 1

Thanks Ray.
mowens33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 11:05 AM   #20
Tim Y
turf historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontSayDont View Post

Many players don't recommend using 4.5 or 5 furlong races or races over 12 furlongs for pace handicapping.
Over the years I have talked with MANY people using pace handicapping who EXCEL at certain distances that are ODD to the rest of us (ONE follows 4.5 furlong races all over North America).

ANY distance is subject to the EXACT same evaluations:standard e/l rankings, standard final fraction, EP .....whatever you model them on. Find consistent factors, MODEL,,,it is just that simple.

Don't leave out distances because you think they are impossible. I assure you they are NOT. For example: marathons just about always fall down to SP and LP rankings after you see how far the projected pace setter can go.