Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) > Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum General Handicapping Discussion

Old 09-07-2005, 01:32 PM   #1
alydar_ David
Grade 1

Turfway Park -- new surface

Trainers are saying if a horse runs well on the turf he should relish the new polytrack surface and have an advantage.
alydar_ David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 03:28 PM   #2
RichieP
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alydar_David
Trainers are saying if a horse runs well on the turf he should relish the new polytrack surface and have an advantage.

David,
Am I understanding this poly thing right? There is NO dirt on the track??

Is this true?

If it is these people need their heads examined in my opinion are they serious??

You know what they should do is CLOSE about 20 racetracks that are losing money to tighten things up a bit It IS gonna happen but they should do it now man realize the writing is on the wall

So instead what are they doing? putting some artificial BS surface on a track that has been losing money hand over foot for more than a couple of years.

PLUS more tracks are being built whats next 4 horse fields

Richie
RichieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 03:43 PM   #3
shoeless
Grade 1

Laurel has put in a new turf course as well it's supposed to be like the one at Colonial Downs.They say they will be able to run 6 turf races a day on it and that's the only way the track can survive without slots.When I see it I will believe it. Shoeless
shoeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 06:26 PM   #4
alydar_ David
Grade 1

Richie,

Supposedly, the only track condition is "Fast."

"Polytrack is a combination of conventional and synthetic materials. Its unique formula is comprised of polypropylene fibers, recycled rubber and silica sand covered in a wax coating."

If you click this link it will take you to the Polytrack site.

http://www.polytrack.com/racingmenu.html

And here's a quote from the Turfway Park website.

“Other tracks are watching Turfway intently,” said Turfway Park president Robert Elliston, “and many are seriously interested in using this system. Turfway Park is on the cutting edge of racetrack technology.” Polytrack has been installed on a few training tracks in this country, but Turfway is the first facility in North America to use the system for racing.
alydar_ David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 06:29 PM   #5
RichieP
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alydar_David
Richie,

Supposedly, the only track condition is "Fast."

"Polytrack is a combination of conventional and synthetic materials. Its unique formula is comprised of polypropylene fibers, recycled rubber and silica sand covered in a wax coating."

If you click this link it will take you to the Polytrack site.

http://www.polytrack.com/racingmenu.html

And here's a quote from the Turfway Park website.

“Other tracks are watching Turfway intently,” said Turfway Park president Robert Elliston, “and many are seriously interested in using this system. Turfway Park is on the cutting edge of racetrack technology.” Polytrack has been installed on a few training tracks in this country, but Turfway is the first facility in North America to use the system for racing.

Thanx David for the info. I am gonna check the link It sounds kinda like the "rubberized" track near Mark's house in Jersey that we would walk on.

But darn is this racing's future ??? no dirt?

Tahnx again matey
Richie
Old 09-08-2005, 10:02 PM   #6
socantra
Grade 1

I think it must be a management thing. Something that administrators do when they have too much time on their hands, or maybe an attempt to justify their existemce.

I can't get real excited about it, but then, I got to watch the last noble experiment with Equitrack at Remington Park in the late 80's and early 90's. It was a brand new plant, complete with a brand new miracle surface that had been developed and used extensively on training tracks in England.

Well, it wasn't really bad, but it had its own problems just like all the artftctal surfaces that have been tried and largely abandoned in sports stadiums oer the last 40 years. There are unattended consequences, and the much touted goal of cheaper maintainence, which would allow them to lay off employees, doesn't ever seem to materialize. In fact, maintainence costs usually go up.

According to their FAQ, this new Polytrack surface degrades from manure, so I gues they have figured out a method of persuading the horses not to ****, or are going to follow them around the track with horsey pooper scoopers.

It will probably be there a few years, so as not to embarras any of the dumb bastards in management, then will quietly disappear.

Most likely, they will find like Remington Park, that good trainers are not going to risk their best horses on this unproven experimental surface and that it winds up costing them much more than plain old dirt, which this country still has an abundance of.

Dick...

Last edited by socantra; 09-08-2005 at 10:05 PM.
socantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 06:13 AM   #7
RichieP
Grade 1

More to follow??

Guys,
I just read on Pace Advantage that Keeneland and Del Mar are gonna put this in next year. Can this really be happening? What planet are these people on man

OR am I just getting old and Father Time is starting to pass me by?

Old and Craggy
Rich