Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > RDSS
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

RDSS Racing Decision Support System – The Modern Sartin Methodology

Old 08-06-2008, 05:29 PM   #1
dcox
Avid Student

Power Moves

Has anyone else notice how poorly horses do after a power move as indicated by RDSS that didn't result in an ITM finish? In a small sample (39) in the next races only 2 winners at low odds 4.1 & 1.4. Ted you need a tester of some kind.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:29 AM   #2
Ted Craven
Grade 1

David,

Powermove markups were/are an initial try at some of Hat's Match Up observations. I want to add more user settings to what constitutes a 'move' (e.g. minimum finish position, beaten lengths at the end of the move). However, like Layoff separators and colour coding on top 3 running position, they are intended mostly to bring things to your attention. For example, I like seeing if a horse returning from a vacation broke behind the pack, gained 3 or 4 positions to the top of the stretch, then faded. A workout within a race. What you do with that information is a separate issue from portraying it in the first place.

Now, if you observe that only 2 in 39 'movers' returned to win next out, well, maybe there's some useful info. Maybe it's too much info, though.

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Old 08-08-2008, 08:12 AM   #3
RichieP
Grade 1

Good morning.

I use the Power Moves in a weird way. What I do is NOT have them shown at the start of me working a race. I turn it "off" on config. I'm not interested in ANY of them until I:

1) Have a projected pace with an ON THE LEAD horse at the FIRST CALL. This for ME is an absolute must for me to even consider looking at a race in earnest. Otherwise I am Passing it quickly and moving on.

2) Have a confident feeling I KNOW how the race shape winner will run. Early (wire to wire) or O.T.E. (everything else).

When the above is present to my satisfaction I will then focus on my contenders ALL of whom are fast against TODAY'S pace (see CC Brown's excellent post in this forum regarding how HE does it!!)

If I am looking for the race to run early I look to see if my early gets into TROUBLE does he have the ABILITY to also run O.T.E.

IF my early horse ALSO has the ability to POWER MOVE while NOT having the lead at the first call now I have a very SPECIAL situation present.

This is a SPOT PLAY of the highest caliber and one of a few never described previous in the Hat Check forum. LOOK for it.

Here is a perfect example taken from a race yesterday. While it is a red board here it wasn't to my paisan Charlie who just told me he is still counting his money from the score HE made on the race.

He called me yesterday and told me he loved the 4 horse in Saratoga's 2nd race running OTE and asked me to look at the race as he was making a pretty large bet. To be honest I really dont like doing this when folks are betting BIG money because I don't want the feeling i cost some one cash if I'm wrong. Charlie does not bet often but when he does he bets BIG.

I started looking at the race kind of half assed figuring I'd just tell him I had no opinion when all of a sudden I saw the #3 horse. He told me I just told him immediately that the 3 was going to win the race because of line NINE in the pp's and to punch a 3-4 exacta because the 3 was the horse. LOOK at what was posted above then look at line NINE in the horses pp's.

See it? THERE is you early horse who can also run FAST and OTE with a vicious POWER MOVE while doing so. Line NINE.

After the race runs 3-4 cold for over 60 bucks he called me up a very happy camper to say the least.

Here are screen shots.
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2008, 08:34 AM   #4
Charlie D
Match Up Apprentice

I saw #6 ovetaking #3 in straight in that race, so chucked #3 and went #6

Can you explain why this was wrong??

Last edited by Charlie D; 08-08-2008 at 08:45 AM.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:58 AM   #5
Charlie D
Match Up Apprentice

My contenders were #1 and #6

#1 i felt was going to hook up with other Early runners and as such be out of petrol come straight, so #6 became my play
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2008, 08:58 AM   #6
RichieP
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie D View Post
I saw #6 ovetaking #3 in straight in that race, so chucked #3 and went #6

Was this wrong Richie? if so can you explain why??
There is absolutely NO right or wrong Charlie and here is why.

When Jim was very ill he had a LONG talk with me about the matchup. He laid out WHY it was so important to lay out for folks what he had shown me and then STEP BACK from everything. WHY?

He explained that everyone has a different Mind's Eye or way they "see" a race. He told me he taught me VERY differently from say the Parente brothers who he also hand taught his methodology to. Reason being he saw early on through his "interviewing" me well before he started actually teaching me that I absorbed his methodology when being taught a SPECIFIC way. He told me he taught EACH of his half dozen one on one students differently.

This understanding and identifying each INDIVIDUALS way of LEARNING is the very LAST thing he wanted me AWARE of and working on so in the future I could pick up on and help a couple of folks teaching them as the UNIQUE people they are. After identifying HOW they learned best and creating a way to teach them matching the outline with their Mind's Eye. These conversations I had with him even though this was when he was VERY ill were by FAR the DEEPEST talks he ever had with me and that is saying an awful lot.

Remember under that black Stetson of his lied a brain and a man who had master degrees up the wazoo from TEACHING. He was an elementary and high school teacher before he switched exclusively to track and field work with his young ones.

YOU have hit races Charlie that even after knowing who won I could NOT bet and lost the race you won! Same with Mikesal. I look at folks posts who I know are into applying/learning matchup concepts without saying anything openly as far as posting. I am practicing some things Jim told me to look for in peoples selections that will open my eyes and show me how THEY think as individuals. Mike hit some bombs last week in selections that NO way in heck would I have man. Same with you!

Trust YOUR Mind's Eye. It is unique to you and will talk to ONLY you ok?

Hope this made sense as things have been REAL weird here lately
Old 08-08-2008, 09:18 AM   #7
Charlie D
Match Up Apprentice

Quote:
There is absolutely NO right or wrong Charlie

Agree Rich

Just trying to figure how people had #3 as THE horse
Old 08-08-2008, 09:33 AM   #8
RichieP
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie D View Post
Agree Rich

Just trying to figure how people had #3 as THE horse
Check it out:
Here are screen shots of all the horses in the race. I am using the proj pace you see. After punching them in I will FOCUS on only the lines that match the 1c and 2c pace.

To be honest this way of playing with THIS software is SIMPLE. Not easy but simple. The pp's to ME talk to me with the lights (colors) when I use RDSS.

These are the ones you see together marked on the last screenshot ok?

Does this help in you seeing the #3?

** Ted and Dcox - Sorry for the thread drift. Please move it if needed.**
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2008, 09:34 AM   #9
RichieP
Grade 1

cont
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2008, 10:08 AM   #10
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Thread is on the beam, Richie - related to application of Power moves!

For a different take on this race (unrelated to Power moves), see here: http://paceandcap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4339

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™