Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 12-19-2012, 07:07 PM   #41
barb craven
Grade 1

Bill (Parsnut)Thanks or your input, but I'd tried that several times. (I had problems with both my mic and speakers at first that couldn't be resolved even when Ted took control,) but I discovered after Ted started the meeting and I was just listening, that I didn't have the latest version of TV, so I downloaded that and everything worked from there on in. I was then able to join in. If anyone else was having trouble I would suggest they check and make sure they have TV8.
It was very enjoyable, if a bit chaotic in the beginning. I agree with Ted, the muting of mics helped. I also would have to agree with Hoof about knowing in advance what races we would be looking at so as to get some lines picked ahead of time. It would be easier to agree with or ask questions about the lines chosen as we do them as a group.
On a more sobering note, I was sorry to hear about your wife's troubles Bill. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and her as I know everyone on this Board do. You both will be on my mind in the coming days. Be sure to keep us posted.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:49 AM   #42
Hoof 11
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG View Post
Probably a good idea. I apologize if background noise was happening on my end. I would also like to get the proper headphones for next time. Guess I will add that to the Christmas list. Re: organizational issues, I'll think about that and send you an email or respond here later.

Jim
Hey Jim

Plantronics Audio 326 Stereo Headset

Very inexpensive and the mic has excellent sound quality with noise cancellation.
The headphones sound very good as well.
Hoof 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:04 AM   #43
JimG
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoof 11 View Post
Hey Jim

Plantronics Audio 326 Stereo Headset

Very inexpensive and the mic has excellent sound quality with noise cancellation.
The headphones sound very good as well.
Thanks for the tip. I'll check them out.

Jim
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:28 AM   #44
partsnut
BetMix User

Yesterdays session was a lot of fun and really enjoyed it.

I believe this feature has many uses. One of the most important, in my humble opinion, is for Ted to familiarize potential RDSS users and those that have subscribed with the programs features. These features should be explained Here is where all questions about specific features can be addressed and possibly answered. What is important and what is not and how an individual feature was derived.

I am somewhat familiar with RDSS but frankly and honestly speaking, I have gotten a little confused with some of the instructional posts. I also believe that too much information might lead to misinformation. This may be the case, especially, when they don't conform to an individual users way of thinking. What's right for you may not be right for me. There are many schools of thought when it comes to horse racing. There is no steadfast rules that a user has to focus on. Some will incorrectly tell you otherwise and will try to impose their thinking on you.
Use whatever works for you.
When you follow the rules, you follow the herd or crowd.
What will set you apart from the losing majority (the crowd)?

There are quite a few questions I would like to ask. Hopefully,Ted will use this feature as a great way to explain and address what certain features mean and why and how to use them.

To sum it all up, I believe RDSS is a great piece of software but some of the rules set down by others need to be addressed. I believe you can win with RDSS if you find a method of use that works for you. This can happen if you fully understand the capabilities of what you are using and have been given.

Last edited by partsnut; 12-20-2012 at 09:30 AM.
partsnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:11 AM   #45
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Partsnut,

Well put, your points above. And I take to heart your advice that this kind of interactive operational, what to speak 'best-practices' tour of RDSS is a big kick-start to using it happily and profitable. (It's part of why I am moving forward to do this online live collaboration/teaching- not only by me, but to demonstrate how others can do it for themselves).

An update to the software is a day away (or so). At least, I will make a short video tour of the NEW items (or bug fixes), and also schedule an interactive session demoing them and answering questions.

Then, my goal for the new year is to hold more of these sessions, and also make more short videos documenting usage of the various components. Of course, others who know how can also make such videos and post them, also use that format to pose questions or show in detail a successful method or spot play they care to share.

And on the topic of 'to each their own' - and re Tampa R4 yesterday which we worked collectively: while I believe there was a general consensus on the primary Win Contenders in that race, the general opinion (at 2 MTP) was that there was no value so no bet - in the Win pool. Despite that, we managed to find value in a dutched exacta pool wager, using only the favourites plus one long shot underneath, as it turned out.

So while many people would not have chosen to bet that race at all due either to too many low odds horses, or too many unknowns (and I notice FTL has just posted an analysis and opinion on that very race in the *TEACHING Forum), my style (and not necessarily everyone's) is to seek some pool in which to capitalize the effort spent analysing the race (of course while always trying to retain the skeptical eye of 'should I ultimately be passing this race' as the final choice).

And I think it is this very possibility of diversity of analysis approaches and betting decision approaches which permits a tool shared by many to none-the-less not inevitably drive prices down: the tool itself does not make choices about what degree of uncertainty the user will accept, nor which pools to invest in, nor which cross-section of races or tracks to develop proficiency in and base one's longer-term betting records on. All of this diversity of choice keeps the 'difference of opinion' engine going, which as we know - is what makes a horse race (at least according to Mark Twain )

Ted.

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:40 AM   #46
chuckg
Grade 1

Yes, an excellent online liveplay (work) session. New users can benefit by seeing that there are a number of different sorts that will show the winner and place horse among the top 5 contenders. Hearing and reading the participants' discussion about wich horse to bet and why after the contenders and pacelines have been selected is invaluable. That is where money is made or not made. Shoeless started a thread on that subject a day or two ago. How to bet a race once you have the readout? That exacta dutching tool that Patrick and Ted had may be the best application of the final few Follow-Ups where wagercapping off the BL/BL screen was the advised practice. I would tune in again just to see it in action.

Overall it was a great idea to work races live with teamshare.
chuckg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:37 AM   #47
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckg View Post
Shoeless started a thread on that subject a day or two ago. How to bet a race once you have the readout? That exacta dutching tool that Patrick and Ted had may be the best application of the final few Follow-Ups where wagercapping off the BL/BL screen was the advised practice. I would tune in again just to see it in action.
Chuck,

I will do a separate session after I get this RDSS update out focusing on betting execution, and include more demos of the ADW I use and the dutching and conditional wagering tools I use - specifically to see how to actualize what we have come to refer to as 'wagercapping'.

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:10 PM   #48
lenabugg
AlwNW2X

Ted,
I really like the software but I'M Confused as well with all the info.that is posted as well ,as somewhat of a person thats new to racing, picking the right pace line seem to be the big problem on the bata sysem would it be possible you could have a pick that would do the race paceline for the surface and distance of that race,I have done many races and looked at the results and found that the race was not hit because of picking the wrong line.or is that asking to much or is that the fact Im just not sharp enough.
lenabugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:17 PM   #49
SCSAYS
AlwNW3X

lenabugg- On the RDSS desktop screen located between NewPace and the horse saddle numbers is a RED diamond shape. Right click on the diamond and it offers you seven different paceline strategies for all horses or a single horse.
SCSAYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:43 PM   #50
lenabugg
AlwNW2X

Thank you, On 12-12-12 AQU. 3RD RACE GRITTY WON THE RACE WAS OR IS THERE SOMEWAY YOU COULD HAVE PICK it ?
lenabugg is offline   Reply With Quote