Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Hat Check - How Can We Help You?
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Hat Check - How Can We Help You? Jim 'The Hat' Bradshaw - Learn The Matchup

Old 07-16-2007, 05:56 PM   #21
RichieP
Grade 1

[QUOTE=mufasa;21593
You had given me before on a final time adjustment for different distances 6.2/5 as a solid and proven figure to adjust final times. I am using this and thank you for that. I wonder if this would apply to adjusting the ½-mile time in a Power Line for different distances but of course a fraction of it. I am thinking maybe a half to one-third of the 6+ seconds.
Thanks,
Robert
QUOTE]

I was NEVER taught to adjust the 2nd call based on anything other than observing tracks that were either very fast or very slow. These adjustments are made mentally and rely more on "feel" or "instinct" Mu.

The advantage of matching Jim's way is you have TEN pp lines to look at to evaluate. that often allows one to not have to focus on ONE line and instead see the "whole picture" of the horse.

Folks do not like to hear that as it is not concrete/set in stone stuff but it's real man. Thats how I was taught and I am passing it along HONESTLY.

Richie

Last edited by RichieP; 07-16-2007 at 06:04 PM.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:59 PM   #22
RichieP
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbulator View Post
Richie,
3. None of the power lines selected show a horse taking the lead. Even though there are a couple of earlies in the race, especially the 6, Indian Vale. This horse will most likely go to the front.

In that case why wouldn't you use a power line that has at least one of the horses taking the lead. Or does that even matter? What am I missing?
Thanks
A "Power Line" is the fastest pace of race showing where the horse finished competitively. Regardless of track or where it is in the past performances.

Let's SEPERATE the other stuff and FOCUS on WHAT is a Power Line.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:00 PM   #23
mufasa
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieP View Post
"Mu"
The one thing Jim asks is that here in THIS area we do NOT discuss anything related to software and adjusted data readouts ok? Your question is better off posted in RDSS forum.

I use RDSS because I LOVE the paceline screen which shows the raw data in a format I like. The colors point to the earlies and I can assemble the lines on a screen to do some funny stuff with and also "match up". All this is done using only RAW data which is why I post it here.

Jim does NOT like the screen as the colors distract his eye from the whole past performance of the horse.

Richie

Rich:

I apologize. I will try to make sure it does not happen again. I just wanted to talk about auto adjustment of ½-mile times vs. something more basic and a paper and pencil way of adjusting directly. This would be preferable because of scratches once at the track.

Thanks,

Robert
Old 07-16-2007, 06:07 PM   #24
RichieP
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufasa View Post
Rich:

I apologize. I will try to make sure it does not happen again. I just wanted to talk about auto adjustment of ½-mile times vs. something more basic and a paper and pencil way of adjusting directly. This would be preferable because of scratches once at the track.
Thanks,
Robert
NOTHING to apologize for Robert. You didn't know.

Jim knows you are really working on learning this stuff and I hope I can do my best to relate his way of doing things that YOU can grasp and use to make you better. That's my job.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:38 PM   #25
sdahl
Grade 3

Hi Rich. What does Jim consider to be competitive. Is that finishing in the money or the closest finish in terms of lengths.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:13 PM   #26
Nets
Grade 2

Sometimes I stop in wonder at what is presented here on this site. To learn of The Hat's thoughts and processes of handicapping is amazing. Thanks to Richie for giving us so much info and in a way that always makes us feel welcome to participate and ask questions. I feel so fortunate to have found this site. To be given access to the knowledge of The Hat, Richie, Bill, Ted and all those who post is incredible. I can never thank all of you enough.

All the best

Gary

P.S. I FINALLY got on the board in the Summer Stakes!
Old 07-16-2007, 10:44 PM   #27
Turbulator
Grade 1

Quote:
A "Power Line" is the fastest pace of race showing where the horse finished competitively. Regardless of track or where it is in the past performances.

Let's SEPERATE the other stuff and FOCUS on WHAT is a Power Line.
No problem. What about my other question on the nine horse, which relates directly to what is a power line, and how do you select it?

Old 07-16-2007, 11:09 PM   #28
RichieP
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbulator View Post
No problem. What about my other question on the nine horse, which relates directly to what is a power line, and how do you select it?

Steve I would NOT use that as a Power Line as he lost BOTH beaten lengths and position 1c-2c.

Jim will see this and answer.
Rich
Old 07-17-2007, 10:02 AM   #29
RichieP
Grade 1

Quote:
Steve I would NOT use that as a Power Line as he lost BOTH beaten lengths and position 1c-2c.
Jim will see this and answer.
Rich
Steve,

1) I showed Jim the 9 horse's pp's. He would NOT use line 2 as a power line for the reason I stated. He WOULD consider lines 3 and 4 as power lines.

2) "Once we have established power lines for all the horses in the race then each horse's power line is matched against each other to eliminate non contenders in today's race" - The Hat

Jim will come and lay out a few things of interest about the race shown.

Then we will go into some things to watch for when looking at power lines DEEP in the horse's pp's ok? Jim showed me this a while back and it really is pretty cool.

Richie
Old 07-18-2007, 05:23 PM   #30
VoodooFan
True Disciple of Voodoo

Quote:
Other races the power lines can be deep in the horses pp's. Then a few things or "checks" have to be done to justify getting to that line but for now let's handle the race shown.Richie
Hope this point is shown. Even if I'm not gonna use that LAST line, it's sometimes hard to get past. Finding reasonable excuses , 1st time on track, REAL trouble, Pace much faster than projected "TODAY", etc,. The BIGGEST problem of all that I have with the last line is simply to determine FITNESS,and sometimes, without either a REASONABLE excuse or some trouble I can or can't percieve, you look at that last line and say "he just did'nt run at all, not even trying, not even at ONE call ". So you throw the horse out. VoodooFan
Quote:
"Richie never 2nd guesses, or ask "what if", but learns the concept I am teaching. This is one why he has learned and he is one of my best students. He is my pride and joy and best pal."
Jim "THE HAT" Bradshaw