Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Sartin Methodology Handicapping 101 (102 ...) > Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Previous 'Handicapping Discussion' Forum General Handicapping Discussion

Old 06-03-2007, 09:12 AM   #1
alydar_ David
Grade 1

"Should I quit my job and play professionally?"

This was written for poker, but the same principles are applicable to horse racing.
Attached Images

alydar_ David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 10:20 AM   #2
froggy
Grade 1

Quit my job!
What job!

Successfully playing poker for money is really hard to do. It takes a tremendous amount of patience, constant study, time spent with people you generally wouldn't associate with in an undesirable atmosphere, a very understanding spouse and really deep pockets.

On the other hand:

Successful pari-mutuel investing takes a tremendous amount of patience, constant study, lots of time spent at home at the computer, a very understanding spouse and a modest bankroll.

Ask me how I know these things.

Froggy
froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 12:24 PM   #3
Turbulator
Grade 1

I would have to say that between the two poker is a lot easier. But both of them are extremely difficult ways to earn a living.

Playing poker you just go in, sit down and start playing. Assuming of course you know the game, the players and what the hell you're doing.

In horse racing you have to study, think very deeply, and spend a lot of time analyzing--you have to prepare.

I play poker on auto-pilot. You can't do that with the horses. That's why the game is so difficult for me.

But Ferguson is right. And his advice applies to both games.

Turbulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 10:19 PM   #4
emilio840
Grade 1

I think playing cards is easier than hcping. If its your night, good cards come to you. Good Horses don't come to you. You have to find them.

emilio
emilio840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 10:47 PM   #5
chris
Grade 1

Well said Emilio.

Thanks,
Chris
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 11:47 PM   #6
Jonathan Steele
Grade 1

"But both of them are extremely difficult ways to earn a living."

Try working in a poorly lit factory, or warehouse, performing back-breaking, monotonous, mind-numbing work (I know, someone has to do it--but it doesn't have to be YOU).* All the while getting paid a mediocre salary, and having to deal with a moody, overbearing foreman, as well as equally obnoxious "people you generally wouldn't associate with."

I say if you can do it, go for it. What the barrier is (I believe) that prevents most successful handicappers from turning pro, is attaining and maintaining a very positive mental equilibrium, which in no small part, also comes along with having a sufficient bankroll.

It's very hard to explain but it's an "I know it when I'm there" inner peace, positive mental attitude and self-confidence; a sixth-sense, literally, that allows a person "to be as one with the past performances." Right, Richie?

If you can reach that rare state of mind, watch out baby! You can then say, as Johnny Paycheck said in his hit song from the 1970s, "take that job and shove it!"

Like Doc always emphasized, successfully wagering on this speculative venture is 80% psychological.

Regards,

Jon

*Like Michael Pizzolla sez: "Ask me how I know."

Last edited by Jonathan Steele; 06-03-2007 at 11:58 PM.
Jonathan Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:08 AM   #7
admin
Administrator

Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Steele View Post
"But both of them are extremely difficult ways to earn a living."

Try working in a poorly lit factory, or warehouse, performing back-breaking, monotonous, mind-numbing work (I know, someone has to do it--but it doesn't have to be YOU).* All the while getting paid a mediocre salary, and having to deal with a moody, overbearing foreman, as well as equally obnoxious "people you generally wouldn't associate with."

I say if you can do it, go for it. What the barrier is (I believe) that prevents most successful handicappers from turning pro, is attaining and maintaining a very positive mental equilibrium, which in no small part, also comes along with having a sufficient bankroll.

It's very hard to explain but it's an "I know it when I'm there" inner peace, positive mental attitude and self-confidence; a sixth-sense, literally, that allows a person "to be as one with the past performances." Right, Richie?

If you can reach that rare state of mind, watch out baby! You can then say, as Johnny Paycheck said in his hit song from the 1970s, "take that job and shove it!"

Like Doc always emphasized, successfully wagering on this speculative venture is 80% psychological.

Regards,

Jon

*Like Michael Pizzolla sez: "Ask me how I know."
Thanks John

There is always that dream for me
I have to have that hope to get through these times

GS
Bill
admin is offline   Reply With Quote