Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 01-19-2014, 11:00 AM   #1
Segwin
Grade 1

Todd Pletcher

From DRF.

Entering 2013 trainer Todd Pletcher led North American trainers in earnings seven times, including consecutively from 2010-2012.
With the year now complete, that total came be updated to eight. Pletcher again ran away in the earnings race, with his stable amassing earnings of more than $25.2 million, nearly $10 million more than any other trainer, with Bob Baffert second with more than $15.3 million.
Pletcher’s dynamic year, in which he also led all trainers with 48 graded stakes victories, pushed him ever closer to becoming the leading earning trainer of all time, an achievement he is on pace to accomplish in 2014.

The rest of the story is here: Todd Pletcher
Old 01-21-2014, 08:06 PM   #2
trotman
Grade 1

Segwin there's no argument from me for what Pletcher has accomplished but his Derby record is quite the opposite. But Pletcher is not going to expand your bankroll as a handicapper with his lousy ROI. These stats IMO only will grind your bankroll down because when these trainers stats make that much of an impression on the handicapper it will only cloud your thinking when you lay down your money.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:21 PM   #3
Segwin
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotman View Post
But Pletcher is not going to expand your bankroll as a handicapper with his lousy ROI. These stats IMO only will grind your bankroll down because when these trainers stats make that much of an impression on the handicapper it will only cloud your thinking when you lay down your money.
No argument here - fully agree. Nevertheless he needs to be dealt with.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:48 PM   #4
trotman
Grade 1

Segwin in 1946 Ray Taulbot wrote eliminate 1/3 of all starts because he found what was left was starts with intent and this was trainer intent with said horse. If you look at these big name trainers with their horses that cost big bucks at the yearling sales I find that you can see out of their whole stable which of their horses are moving forward and which of their horses are still finding their place.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:40 PM   #5
atkinsrr
Grade 1

Trotman you are right for the most part about Pletcher but one thing I've noticed ...when Pletcher enters 2 horses in a race it seems the longer price horse wins more than its share...also ya gotta pick your spots with him..like anything else. Pletcher won the Oaks at CD with Princess of Sylmar and paid $79.60 and I was fortunate enough to hit 2 pic 4's that day for $1595.00 each ....she was in my top 3 BLBL..other than that I pass most races when Pletcher has those 3/5 shots in there that wins....guys, not matter what we do or don't do...ya gotta get a price..and to do that ya gotta be PATIENT ....GOOD SKILLS TO ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
atkinsrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:44 PM   #6
CEW
Grade 1

Pletcher

Hi All......remember that trainers and jockeys don't mix with the Sartin Methodology. If you get hung up on either or both, your win percent and roi are going to suffer.
CEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:56 PM   #7
sureshotlink
Grade 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsrr View Post
Trotman you are right for the most part about Pletcher but one thing I've noticed ...when Pletcher enters 2 horses in a race it seems the longer price horse wins more than its share...also ya gotta pick your spots with him..like anything else. Pletcher won the Oaks at CD with Princess of Sylmar and paid $79.60 and I was fortunate enough to hit 2 pic 4's that day for $1595.00 each ....she was in my top 3 BLBL..other than that I pass most races when Pletcher has those 3/5 shots in there that wins....guys, not matter what we do or don't do...ya gotta get a price..and to do that ya gotta be PATIENT ....GOOD SKILLS TO ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seems to me if you have a horse that's going to pay 79.60 in your top 3 bl/bl this alone would demand a play regardless who was doing the training.
sureshotlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:29 AM   #8
CEW
Grade 1

Trainers / prices

HI Guys - I've been reading some of the posts this week and can comment on the trainer vs. price question. The methodology will take care of those problems automatically, unless you have the desire to be a mainstream handicapper - meaning you want to handicap with trainer, jockey, post position information, etc.

If you worry about those things, you will probably zig zag your way out of winners. Best to handicap the race, narrow it to the 2 most likely win horses, then split your bet accordingly. Only then should you worry about price. If the 2 horse blended bet is going to return less than 50 cents on the dollar, then you can either pass the race or single one of them. Most 2 horse bets with the Method return a blended return of almost even money and on up.

When you have 3 horses that can return a good price, play them - like the Oaks horse mentioned earlier. The reason we get 30, 40, 50 and even much higher mutuels with the Sartin Methodology is because of the 2 and 3 horse bet.

So try not to dwell on trainers (or jockeys). I've been a member since 1987 and that's something Howard will tell you right away. If you worry about them, your average mutuel is going to drop.

Not to dwell too much on it, but since I don't come by this site as often as I should: read Huey Mahl's article in Follow Up #2. That is probably one of the topmost articles ever featured and will help you understand how to turn your handicapping into tickets cashed.

Best to all !

Chuck
CEW is offline   Reply With Quote