Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 07-01-2009, 08:10 AM   #1
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Happy Canada Day!

Happy Canada Day to all Canadians, (and Canadians at heart)

Name:  Animated-Flag-Canada.gif
Views: 812
Size:  34.6 KB

Think Wayne Gretzky, Mark Messier, Leonard Cohen, Neil Young, Glen Gould, Alexander Graham Bell, James Cameron, John Candy, Joni Mitchell, The Guess Who, Frederick Banting, Tim Horton, The Blackberry, Mike Myers, Alanis Morissette, Stephen Lewis, Santa Claus, Pamela Anderson, Jim Carrey, Cirque de Soleil, Céline Dion, Malcolm Gladwell, Gordon Lightfoot, Marshall McLuhan, Alex Trebek, Oscar Peterson...

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™

Last edited by Ted Craven; 07-01-2009 at 08:15 AM.
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:40 AM   #2
Tim Y
turf historian

Dominion Day

All the family is going to a big parade downtown Toronto today with red and white overtones.

My mother in law received the Order of Ontario along side the inventor of the Blackberry as well as two doctors who founded the science of stem cell research. NOT TOO SHABBY a group of folks hereabouts.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:05 AM   #3
tom
Grade 1

Salute to our good friends to the North.
They are much like their racing, Grade One all the way.
tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:20 AM   #4
barb craven
Grade 1

Happy Canada Day to all! There is a full day planned here in Bobcaygeon if the weather holds. Parade, games for kids, Concerts in the Park, BBQ's and of course Fireworks tonight.

Ted...here's a few more...William Shatner, Shenia Twain, c.d. lang, skidoos, zippers, washing machines, insulin, paint rollers, pacemakers, bloody Caesars, Imax, sonar, T.V. (1927), jetliners (1949), chocolate bars, Trivial Pursuit (we had a chance to get in on that and didn't think it would fly), Tragically Hip (and their song called "Bobcaygeon"........
barb craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:39 AM   #5
MIKE
Grade 1

SHANIA TWAIN !!!!

--well, I guess you guys are allright !!
MIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:03 PM   #6
reckless
Grade 1

Ruth Lowe

Since this is a horse racing gambling site I'd like to add a person to this list whom many people might not know of, but of whom we should still honor.

She made a big contribution, for in my opinion, Ruth Lowe wrote the single most beautiful song in American Pop Culture history.

While greatness was just a matter of time for a saloon singer by the name of Frank Sinatra, Ruth Lowe wrote the song, I'll Never Smile Again, that helped jump-start his singing career and his eventual journey toward greatness.

As the story goes Lowe was a song peddler at Tin Pan Alley before moving to Los Angeles. She got married in 1937 but was a widow the very next year at age 24 when her husband died from complications following surgery. She then left the business and returned to her hometown of Toronto, living across the street from Christie Pitts Park.

She wrote this wonderful song after watching women with children in strollers, plus young couples smiling at one another holding hands. She would often tell her sister of how her sad life would never be the same without her husband.

In 1939 she wrote the song with these beautiful opening lines:

~~ I’ll never smile again, until I smile at you/
I’ll never laugh again, what good would it do?

For tears would fill my eyes/
My heart would realize, that our romance is through... ~~

Tommy Dorsey released the song in 1940 with Frank Sinatra as lead singer, along with the melodic Pied Pipers at backup. It became the hottest song of the year.

Also, it was the very first song to reach No. 1 in the now-famous pop music charts published by Billboard Magazine, and it held that top ranking for 12 weeks!

Sinatra wound wind up re-recording I'll Never Smile Again throughout his great career, from the 1960s and '70s right thru to his last live shows in the 1990s.

And why not with lyrics such as these:

~~ I’ll never love again, I’m so in love with you/
I’ll never thrill again, to somebody new.

Within my heart, I know I will never start/
To smile again, until I smile at you... ~~

Ruth Lowe died in 1981 and before I go, please let add two more items to this story:

(1) the first musician to help Ruth Lowe with I'll Never Smile Again was Percy Faith, another Canadian great, who first played the song on his CBC radio show "Music By Faith";

(2) in my opinion I'll Never Smile Again was Sinatra at his best, and in some quarters it became one of his 2-3 top 'signature' songs. Another such 'signature' song associated with Frank that was played quite often at the time of his death was Put Your Dreams Away. That lovely song was written by ... Ruth Lowe!!

Thanks for the opportunity and Happy Canada Day every one.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 04:12 PM   #7
SilentRun
Grade 1 Aspiree

Hi Ted,

Just returned from a trip to Canada........My wife and I visted Montreal, Quebec City,
Prince Edward Island, Sydney and Halifax. We loved it.

Ernie
SilentRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 04:13 PM   #8
barb craven
Grade 1

Thanks Reckless, I didn't know that.

Barb
barb craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:45 PM   #9
Rverge
Grade 1

[QUOTE=Ted Craven;56551]Happy Canada Day to all Canadians, (and Canadians at heart)

Attachment 16912

Think Wayne Gretzky, Mark Messier, Leonard Cohen, Neil Young, Glen Gould, Alexander Graham Bell, James Cameron, John Candy, Joni Mitchell, The Guess Who, Frederick Banting, Tim Horton, The Blackberry, Mike Myers, Alanis Morissette, Stephen Lewis, Santa Claus, Pamela Anderson, Jim Carrey, Cirque de Soleil, Céline Dion, Malcolm Gladwell, Gordon Lightfoot, Marshall McLuhan, Alex Trebek, Oscar Peterson...

...[/QUOTE
and lets not forget this guy !!!http://www.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?catid=-7&id=43749
HAPPY CANADA DAY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZtfphBDp-w

Last edited by Rverge; 07-01-2009 at 05:51 PM.
Rverge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 06:11 PM   #10
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Of course, who can omit Sidney (Sid the Kid) Crosby! Congratulations on your team this year (Pittsburgh Penguins)!

Also, in honour of Ernie's recent road trip, I shouldn't forget those great Maritime, down-east fictional personalities: Anne of Green Gables and the Trailer Park Boys!

Name:  anne.gif
Views: 318
Size:  12.6 KB Name:  trailerpark.gif
Views: 319
Size:  15.4 KB

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote