Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > Hat Check - How Can We Help You? > Matchup Discussion
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

Matchup Discussion Matchup Discussion and Practice

Old 11-13-2014, 11:36 AM   #11
PeteC
Grade 1

Low-priced, easy win...

Here is the chart. The ML favorite gets bet WAY down and wins easily. No big money, but some good practice nonetheless. Congrats to the matchers who made the call...For teaching purposes, I'm going to take the liberty of outlining the process they may have gone through in order to get the winner. I know there are several new matchers out there that really want to learn this.

Anyone who got this race, please feel free to expand on your initial post, or add/correct anything that I say...

Look at the last race tandem for the 1,3,5,6,8 and 9. The 9 wins the tandem by a head over the 8. The 1 (an E/P) sits off the 3 at 1C, moves up to fight at 2C and moves past the 3 at the SC. At that point it is also fighting with another horse not in today's race. It goes on to barely lose out to the 9.

The 1 looks to be able to pass the 3 when it wants. So now, IMO, you're left to decide at this point whether to go Early (and take the 1) or OTE (and start matching the 9 to the others). Look at the other earlies in this race and compare their POR's with the tandem 22.1 45.4....

#2, last line 22.3 47.0 Slow
#3 Already know the 1 can pass when it wants...
#6, had a terrible start in the tandem, so we'll look at L2 23.1 47.2, L3 22.3 47.1 Both slow

Looking at those lines the 1 stands out and the race goes early.

Big thanks to the "veteran matchers", for sharing their matching skills in these races too. They could be leading these posts just as easily as me. I know that their posts are helpful for anyone in the early stages of learning the match-up. All the best everyone, I'll look for another race for you soon...
Attached Images

PeteC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 12:05 PM   #12
mowens33
Grade 1

Maybe it’s just semantics but I labeled this race OTE. I had the 1 horse that shows early (E), but it was my opinion that the 3 would go to the lead. I had the 1 picking up the leader, so even though the one was an (E) I labeled the race OTE.

As I am reading what I am writing I should have labeled this race Early?

Mike
mowens33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 12:08 PM   #13
The Pook
Grade 1

Hi Pete,

I guess to be convinced to go OTE you should be sure that the earlies are very evenly matched or that there are a ton of them.

This is fun. I have never had such insight into my races as when doing matching. Even when I lose I understand why and am not usually that far off. I spend a lot of time reading Richie P's posts and am learning much from these races. My ROI has skyrocketed as a result.

Thanks
Pook
The Pook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 04:31 PM   #14
PeteC
Grade 1

***Pook- I had a similar reaction to yours when Richie first started teaching the Match-Up here. Before that, for whatever reason, I was just not able to put the concepts in The Hat's books to practical use. Richie presented it in a way that I could see and use. I will always be grateful for that. Keep up the good work!

***Mike: I noticed that you labeled the 1 horse as E. I agree this horse leads or tries for the lead each time it runs. It also shows that it can win from 2nd at the 1C. I will call the race Early if I pick one of my E's or E/P's, even in this case where it looked like the 3 might be in front of the 1 early on. That's just my own style. You saw the same thing and called it OTE which technically it is. Just be sure to only throw out the single horse you think will get the early lead. Make sure you still evaluate the other E's and E/P's if they can show that they can win or run well without the lead. You did that in this case and found the 1 horse as your top pick. Well done. As you keep going with this you'll just to start to feel things in today's match-up. Richie's Mind's Eye teachings stress that we should trust those feelings and react quickly to them...Keep it up!
PeteC is offline   Reply With Quote