Go Back   Pace and Cap - Sartin Methodology & The Match Up > General Discussion
Google Site Search Get RDSS Sartin Library RDSS FAQs Conduct Register Site FAQ Members List Today's Posts

General Discussion General Horse Racing Discussion

Old 10-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #1
Because I Can Jim
Grade 1

Backup & Release Notes and Best Perceptor

Hey Everyone,

Just a reminder...

BACKUP your database!!!!!

When I first received RDSS2 back in July... I read the Release Notes.

Yeah, I read it once.
Yeah, I understood it.
Yeah, I moved on.

This week, I was doing some testing and decided to use the Paceline Selection Strategy (PSS) Best Perceptor, Last 3 Comparable. As with all testing, one doesn't just accept things blindly so I proceeded to look at the horses pps. See the attachments for what I found on H5...

Wait...

That can't be right.

Best of the last three comparable right?

The last three are on the dirt.
We have a 5.0f - 5.5f - 5.5f races.
The last line has a Perceptor Total of 89.6.
The second back has a Perceptor Total of 0.0!!!!!
The computer selected the last line!!!!
(I know in the image both lines are selected, but, I actually re-ran the PSS for this horse 3 times and it came up with the same thing - the last line. I selected both lines for something else.)

Ted! Ted! My computer is broke.!!! Fix it! Fix it! I can't handicap!!! Came the tantrum in my head!

Ted's, quick reply (Ted is very quick in getting back to us, isn't he? We take it for granted, but, I for one, notice it and much appreciate it) was...

PSS Best of Last 3 Comparable Perceptor does not consider any lines older than 270 days (unless ALL lines are older than 270 days). Please see the Release Notes for RDSS2 Beta 2: http://www.sartinmethodology.com/pubs/RDSS2_Beta2_Release_Notes.pdf, Page 3 (located in the RDSS2 Release Notes Topic, here: http://paceandcap.com/forums/showpost.php?p=89778&postcount=4)

The MNR Race you show below, horse #5 had only 1 line within the past 270 days – the last line. That’s why the PSS chose it.

This is the second time I should have READ THE RELEASE NOTES FIRST!!!!!

I read the notes...once....five months ago!
I read it like a Sunday newspaper.
Yeah, I didn't study them like a college accounting textbook.
But, I didn't go to them first when I thought I had a problem. My Bad!!!

SO...

Lesson learned. Read the "#*&##@&!" Release Notes first JIM! Before you go bothering Ted. Every silly thing like this takes away time from more important things he has to do for improving RDSS.

I know that for me when I "think" something is wrong, the next time... Ted! Ted! Fix it!!! LOL Just kidding Ted. I'll try to remember to read the Release Notes, before I throw my tantrum!!!

Jim
Attached Images

Last edited by Because I Can Jim; 10-05-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Because I Can Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:11 PM   #2
Ted Craven
Grade 1

Jim,

LOL - don't sweat it too much, it's no problem - call any time! I wrote these notes and documentation so it's usually rattling around somewhere in my head. Often, though, I do have to use the Google Site Search to find things. But the RDSS2 Release Notes (documentation) are a good thing to have handy (that's why it's linked to the RDSS2 Help screen / Help Button on the software's Desktop).

And re that 270 day cut-off - others may disagree with so liberal a timeframe, and no worries: just tighten it up manually. I agree that the PSS tool could be expanded to specify your own recency cutoff for Primary Contenders (e.g. 90 days) - and it will one day pretty soon

cheers,

Ted

R
DSS -
Racing Decision Support System™
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote